speed fan

starship_troopers

i got this freeware program called speedfan and it masures your temp and fan speeds...it says my harddrive is 129F ...its supposed to be around 95-115F  any ideas....i already read the other topics about computers temp but i cant seem to get the temp. to go down...and its my harddrive temp. not my cpu. 

:D thanks in advance.

starship troopers

i got this freeware program called speedfan and it masures your temp and fan speeds...it says my harddrive is 129F ...its supposed to be around 95-115F  any ideas....i already read the other topics about computers temp but i cant seem to get the temp. to go down...and its my harddrive temp. not my cpu. 

:D thanks in advance.

It depends on what brand and which type of harddrive it is, it's known that Maxtor drives for example run hot, around that temperature you mentioned, especially with no airflow around it. If you want to reduce the temperature, just point a fan at it.

i figured that but i wanted to make sure but its not like i need it badly because really is my basically only storage computer (its so old and it even has the power supply outside of my case right now) Thanks for the answer  :)

That could be some of the problem also, the PSU will usually pull a lot of heat from inside the case.

That could be some of the problem also, the PSU will usually pull a lot of heat from inside the case.

But that's not the right way. If the power supply doesn't get somewhat cool air then it might overheat. The fans in the power supply aren't meant for removing hot air from the case.

What's your problem starship, my comment was to RTB who said that's not the purpose of a power supply to help pull heat from a case, my first reply to you was just trying to help you figure out why your H.D. was getting so hot, and IMO whether or not RTB agrees, the power supply does help in air circulation and dissipation of heat.

If you don't like some peoples free advice then don't use it, simple as that.

As far as RTB goes he serves no real purpose but to troll anyway so whatever. :wave:

What's your problem starship, my comment was to RTB who said that's not the purpose of a power supply to help pull heat from a case, my first reply to you was just trying to help you figure out why your H.D. was getting so hot, and IMO whether or not RTB agrees, the power supply does help in air circulation and dissipation of heat.

If you don't like some peoples free advice then don't use it, simple as that.

As far as RTB goes he serves no real purpose but to troll anyway so whatever. :wave:

sorry, i just thought it was a funny arguement and when you said that i used that smiley. i didnt mean to make it seem like i was mad or anything. :)

sorry, i just thought it was a funny arguement and when you said that i used that smiley. i didnt mean to make it seem like i was mad or anything. :)

That's cool man, no hard feelings here.....

I just don't want you to think I was cutting on you for having the PSU hanging out of the case, I was just trying to say that might be a solution.

Hell there have been times I have had the whole computer hanging out of the case.....  :haha:

Peace !  ;)

There have been times when I had a running computer without a case. Gotta love the cold air from the window going straight to a computer, cooling it way down.

MYRIAGON: It ends up doing that in quite a few cases, but a power supply needs cooling too, and that doesn't go too well if it only gets hot air.