I have just built a system...

disturbed

......for another customer of mine...

Opteron 165 Dual core (o/c to 2.75ghz on stock vcore)

DFI SLI-DR Expert motherboard

2gb of Gskill HZ DDR500 Ram

2 hard drives in raid 0

eVGA 7950x2 video card

thermaltake armor case

this thing absolute flys ;)

......just wanted to share my thoughts....oh yeah, ive been able to pull off 10k on 3dmark06

I know that feeling well,  :cry: most of my customer/friends have better systems/broadband than me, guess I should start charging more  :lol:

I am still running my 2.1/2 year old athlon 2.5 , but I will run it on for a while longer,

then build a Vista box with all the latest bits , it just feels the wrong time to do it now,maybe the end of 2007 -2009 if vista is released by then  :lol:

Heck Roco, althon 2.5 ain't bad. I am on 2.2, whats wrong with that.

It beats a lot of the old crap. Just change to customers with slower comps, and you will feel better.  :laughing7:

Hi Tommie , :lol:, trouble is my puter was the fastest , but my customer/friends (they don't pay ) have all upgraded  :angry2: yeah I am happy enough with the 2.5 box, and I am fast reaching the age that the Athlon is getting quicker than me  :shock:,

I have a backup puter with Athlon 1.7 , it dosn't feel any different to the 2.5 , but performance tests show the difference, so if I can't feel  it, I ain't going to worry too much  :lol: 

Kinda surprised you didn't go for conroe, but 2.75 on stock vcore is very nice. How far did it go with vcore increases (benchstable)?

i did not want to touch vcore because i want it to run as cool as possible - 2.75GHz out of a 1.8GHz processor is a damn nice speed - it benchmarks like a king....opteron all the way :)

at least, untill I try out a conroe computer and test it against an opteron

thats a pertty good build disturbed.

any reason why you didn't go with a core duo 2?

....well, i did not consider it because this guy wants to add in a 2nd 7950 down the road, and i did not find any good motherboards that support core 2 duo and that are decent in overclocking and that support dual sli vid cards - ....thats why i decided to go with a combination that I know will work as good as it gets

i did not want to touch vcore because i want it to run as cool as possible - 2.75GHz out of a 1.8GHz processor is a damn nice speed - it benchmarks like a king....opteron all the way :)

I know, but just for the sake of benchmarking...It sounds like a really damn nice CPU, and you should at least see how far it can go...