Need Help

aznhakkaboi

wow this topic is more popular than one of the stickies....

update on my speed (waiting for him to sleep so I can start my gaming)

:::::::::::::::::.. Download Stats ..:::::::::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 302 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 37 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/09/13 - 8:00pm

Bottom Line:: 5X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 27.68 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 15.703 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 8.7 % of your hosts average (rogers.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-1J8YVX9F2

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6

man i can only imagine how mad you get at your neighbor.. i know with my sister because shes connected through ethernet to my router and shes constantly on limewire/myspace etc and it bogs the hell outta me.. soon enough shes gonna get a bandwidth restrictor on her comp little does she know. :evil6:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi aznhakkaboi

Have you tried Tommies suggestion of removing the wireless router ,

if that makes no difference , call Rogers

Hey Guys, nice to see the Cav. has arrived , but please, stop milling around, :lol:

should   aznhakkaboi make that call , B4 he comits a felony ,the way I see it he has the proof, 

yeah some good people seem to be missing, should we start a topic,

" where are you now "    :lol:

lol "where are you now" Decided to skip first period to try out my speed when no1 in my neighborhood is home and look what I got

::::::::::.. Download Stats ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 4972 Kbps about 4.97 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 607 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/09/14 - 6:12am

Bottom Line:: 87X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.69 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 9.859 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 43.08 % faster than the average for host (rogers.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-Q4R91BH7T

45057297.png

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6

OK, back on topic. Is there anyway to suck up bandwidth? Like in this case?

I know ROM-DOS would have a screwy idea. He was slick sometimes.  ;)

Yes there is tommie, the 1 thing that will kill a cable network is when 1 user is consintly uploading. But in the last year or so many cable ISPs have fixed that by just providing more bandwidth. This person may be doing something illegal, like uncaping his modem.

Yes there is tommie, the 1 thing that will kill a cable network is when 1 user is consintly uploading. But in the last year or so many cable ISPs have fixed that by just providing more bandwidth. This person may be doing something illegal, like uncaping his modem.

Ya if he is uncapping his modem, when you call rogers say you have a suspicion its your neighbor.. who knows maybe they will check on him and see hes doing something iligegal and cut him off.

kk will call rogers tomorow.. but right now I only got 1.5hr to start gaming with this speed.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 4864 Kbps about 4.86 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 594 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/09/14 - 12:04pm

Bottom Line:: 85X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.72 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 10.078 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 39.97 % faster than the average for host (rogers.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8ZQCNOKE0

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6 [!]

kk will call rogers tomorow.. but right now I only got 1.5hr to start gaming with this speed.

Download Connection is:: 4864 Kbps about 4.86 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 594 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/09/14 - 12:04pm

Bottom Line:: 85X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.72 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 10.078 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 39.97 % faster than the average for host (rogers.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8ZQCNOKE0

lol ya try and make the most of it before he gets home!

aww crap just when I thought he was gone for the weekend now he came back and look what he did

Download Connection is:: 156 Kbps about 0.16 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 19 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/09/16 - 7:00pm

Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 53.89 sec

Tested from a 386 kB file and took 20.281 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 4.49 % of your hosts average (rogers.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-00GF9MXD8

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7 [!]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys new update... My parents called rogers to switch our phone line to roger from bell (I don't know why they did that.... I hate rogers) so the techician came today and the neighbors immediatly shutoff their downloads making me look like a dumbass while I explained to him my problem. Well even after I explained the guy said there's nothing he could do abt my slow speed since it is caused by my neighbors and not the problems with the equipment... but yeah look at my speed now... and will continue like this till his rogers red van leaves :D (he's downstairs as I type)

Download Connection is:: 5035 Kbps about 5.04 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 615 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2006/09/29 - 4:38pm

Bottom Line:: 88X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.67 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 9.735 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 43.37 % faster than the average for host (rogers.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-W6CP0DU2K

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7 [!]

Hey guys new update... My parents called rogers to switch our phone line to roger from bell (I don't know why they did that.... I hate rogers) so the techician came today and the neighbors immediatly shutoff their downloads making me look like a dumbass while I explained to him my problem. Well even after I explained the guy said there's nothing he could do abt my slow speed since it is caused by my neighbors and not the problems with the equipment... but yeah look at my speed now... and will continue like this till his rogers red van leaves :D (he's downstairs as I type)

Download Connection is:: 5035 Kbps about 5.04 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 615 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2006/09/29 - 4:38pm

Bottom Line:: 88X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.67 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 9.735 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 43.37 % faster than the average for host (rogers.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-W6CP0DU2K

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7

You've given some very important clues as to what your actual bandwidth problem is.  Let me guess...it works fine all day and then when they come home from work....blamo....life sucks.  To put the first myth to rest....there is NO way that your pron hog neighbor could cause you to degrade to the levels that you have shown assuming he was running an uncapped modem (which is highly doubtful)...even with Rogers.  There is something that you have overlooked (and many do).  The time of day that people return home from work also happens to be when the sun starts to go down (hence the temperature drops) and let the modem signal fun begin.  Many people who complain about cablemodem issues notice that the service seems to work either during the heat of the day...or the cool of night and in many cases this can be nothing more than a loose seize screw (easily solved by having your friendly Rogers tech out).  These problems can be very frustrating for you and your provider alike because if they don't send a tech during the perod of time when the issue occurs it may require numerous visits and in many cases they don't find it until the send out the sweep tech.  One thing is for sure though...you need to resolve ALL of your signal issues BEFORE you have that VOIP phone installed or you and your parents are going to be hating life in a major way.  In fact my advice to you is to delay that port of your current carrier to Rogers for 30 days or until you have gone a minimum of 30 days without any significant issues with your broadband service.  If they actually installed and ported your number today....I can only hope that the technician was able to find your loose connection today. One thing is for sure....your neighbor (no matter how much you can't stand his nagging wife or his dog that messes on your grass) is not sucking bandwidth in any way that could affect you.  The DSL fanatics have perpetuated the pron hog neighbor rumor for almost a six years now and it is no more factual today than it was back in the old days.  Sure...in theory if a cable operator operated their network at full capacity there might (in theory) be some fact behind it...but there isn't an operator in the country or Canada that operates anything close to capacity or even 50% of capacity and the point is moot because all they have to do is split an overloaded segment and viola....no more congestion.  I've seen bridgers with hundreds of modems on them with no issues whatsoever even during the peak of Christmas or evenings. In any case....the best of luck to you...hope the tech solved your actual problems...and if not when it happens again...call back ask them for levels and paste them here and I will give a quick look.  Do not ask your phone support rep for levels every time you call or you will tick them off....trust me on this (let the tech be the expert if nothing more than so that you get what you want..which is to be helped) if used sparingly they won't mind...better than that, if your modem has webbased diagnostics get the levels there and paste them. 

Wow thank you for all that info ispgeek, but yeah the thing is that it also works fast at night as long as he's asleep (like around 2am +). Yeah I'll talk to them again and see what they can do.

You spend waaay too much time noting his habits in an almost scary kind of way <grin>. The same thing I mentioned above still applies though....timing isn't exact in these things it just depends on how much contraction (during cooling) is required to restore a a temporary connection.  We see these issues every day...and yes they are real pain in the arse issues to resolve, especially when there is no way that Rogers I'm sure expects it's techs to resolve most issues within 15-20 minutes (like most cable companies).  Make sure the phone rep documents the times of day when you have the best performance (and the worst).  You also may ask your rep to put your account into monitoring like WUG (Whats up Gold) for a week, however, this in most cases like yours will not return any negative results since it appears that you remain online and pingable...albeit your ping times may suck....which will help the tech in proving to his field people that a problem actually does exist.  Don't think for a second that your tech doesn't care....your phone tech is fighting the ever constant battle of the hardhats vss the brains....field techs tend to be very stubborn and rarely listen to the inside staff when it comes to issues that affect customers....a good phone tech will know how to properly motivate the field tech but it may take a few visits.  Good luck!

Hey isp since you seem to be responding to this thread i have a question about my internet. Ok so my internet is always going out and its totally random times the light on the modem turns orange for a few mins then comes back. Also i get a ton of dc like ill be brrowsing then it will totally come to a stand still then it will come back without the light turning off. Ive been told it MAY be the way my cable is split throughout my house but i cant be positive. Im going to be buying a new splitter with a 3.7 decibal loss for my room considering the one i have now is 7.4 decibal loss i believe.

The cable comes in to the house and into somekinda super splitter and its split 8 ways my friend said i should have it come in split to the super splitter and also split another way just to my router. Could the problem be anything else such as a faulty modem or something. You seem to know alot so i figured i asked.

Srry aznhakkaboi didnt mean to hijack =/