DMA won't change

coknuck

I have a registry file that fixes that but I will have to get it for you later, I am getting ready for work. My TDK drive does this all the time.

Ok, I had time to find it, I thought it was a reg file but you just modify some keys in the redistry, you might backup the reg before hand but it always works for me. Do this:

Re-enable DMA using the Registry Editor

My thanks go to my fellow MVP Alexander Grigoriev who taught me this method.

Run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

It has subkeys like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. Normally 0001 is the primary IDE channel, 0002 the secondary, but other numbers can occur under certain circumstances. You have to go through these subkeys and check the DriverDesc value until you find the proper IDE channel.

Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.

Open Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using DMA mode. If so, congratulations, you've made it (at least until the next time Windows disables DMA).

you went into each subfolder of 4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318, (subfolders being labeled 0000, 0001, etc..) and looked for every instance of MasterIdDataChecksum and SlaveIdDataChecksum and deleted those keys? And you rebooted? (sorry, not trying to make you feel stupid or nothing, this just always worked for me)

Hmm, I don't know what else to say, what kind of drive is giving you problems?