Problem with either Motherboard or VidCard

RXDriv3r

Alright mates...I have a problem with a cousin's computer.....He called me up to install some RAM on his PC...cause hes seen me do it on my PC and others.  So well I go over...pull his out to see what type he has and then we leave to go get the new one....we go get it...come back...i slide both cards into the slots....make sure they are both on securely...close the case....connect everythin back up....turn on the button and....a small faint smell of burnin comes out and nothin happens...then a sec later the PC starts beepin...like the low annoyin sounds that the case does or somethin when something is wrong and then the monitor says 'Cable Disonnect" or somethin like that then shuts off....so by that I  think that theres either a problem with the video card or the motherboard but since the video card is integrated it might be both...Im not sure...

edit:  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean?  take out the RAM and turn the PC on without them?  Because once I turned the PC back off I checked again and I even brought the PC home and even tried with my RAM....but thanks Dlewis...what you said is what I have been fearing....that his 'hurry up' might have led to be installing it incorrectly....I sort of knew that it was the motherboard all along...but I guess I was trying to hide behind the vid card possibility....Thanks alot...especially for the quick response....also...do you know of any sites(already checked newegg) that sell Motherboard and CPU bundles for a low price?  Cause the thing is....my mom and even he said that Im not responsible but I feel completely responsible and I'd like to see someprices so I can buy and fix his PC...

what he means is, put one ram stick at a time, and see if by any chance the computer is working......if not, well....you most likely need to replace the motherboard - if one of them works, then you maybe just damaged 1 stick of the ram, which is much better than the motherboard - ... in most cases lol

sorry to hear ..... you could try looking at the motherboard in greater detail, sometimes when this happens you will have a capacitor that has just leaked out or just burned out - replacing capacitors is easy and cheap.....

if thats the case, you have yourself a 3 dollar fix

what is a capacitor:

Sorry for the double post...but if the motherboard is fried....would the RAM also get fried? 

like swimmer said it depends were the short was, but the most likely one of the sticks is still good. also the processor and anything else you had pluged into the board is probally still good.

Im at school right now so I cant get you the serial n make of the motherboard but the motherboard is pretty crappy...Has what I think is an integrated CPU....cause the fan is smaller than the fan on the video card on my PC.  I found one out on newegg...heres the link....you guys think its a good deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103010

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128262

The motherboard comes out to be free when you get them both....the PC isnt for gaming or anythin like that so it doesnt have to be hella fast. But if you guys can find anythin more economic then i'd appreciate it...

RXDriv3r ;You could try with no RAM installed.The PC should run just very slow.If it doesn't then probably is the mother board.

Hmm...I tried lookin around in detail and didnt see any...what I did see kind of wierd funny tho was a black flat square like thingy that had like a hard bubble on the top...it was the only one of its kind on the whole board like that...

That sounds bad one of the major chips on the board.It's hard to say what kind of chip with no more than that.Most motherboards have several flat black square chips.

Thanks Dlewis....thats also a good CPU and for a better price than the 754...only thing that sucks is that i dont get the discount for the motherboard but whutever...also...this question is for my PC....Im running an ECS K7S5A Pro on my PC...and Im running the max supported Ram which is 1GB for it...but I have a 1.1Ghz processor on it...I cant find anywhere whats the max I can go to...all I could find is that it supports

AMD Athlon XP (Throughbred up to XP2600+)

AMD Athlon (including Thunderbird)

AMD Duron (including Morgan)

But Doesnt say up to what speed....do you know where i can find that info?  Also out of all those....Whats the fastest for the lowest amount I can get...