XP Install Issue

FallowEarth

Hello everyone,

A friend asked me about an issue he is having installing XP, and I was stumped so I thought I'd ask y'all.

He was installing Windows XP Home when an error occurred about a missing file, and it would not continue the installation.  This is at Step 3 "Installing Windows."

He shut down the PC, but when the machine boots, it asks for the Windows CD.  When he puts in the CD, it returns to the same place in setup, but gives the error about the missing file and cannot continue installing. 

He tries to boot from the CD to run recovery console, or a format and reinstall, but the CD returns to the same place in setup, not to the initial setup menu.

He puts in a Windows XP Pro disk and all the same things are happening --  it skips the menu and cuts right to mid-installation. 

I gave him the link in ROM-DOS's sticky about "Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands" to check out, but I'm not sure if it will do the trick.  I figure there must be some key command to return to the setup menu on the CD to start over, but I can't find anything about it.

Any suggestions?

I have actually had the exact same problem and it was after I ran DBAN. Ask him if he booted any Linux kernals before reinstalling. The way I fixed it (honest to god) was to reinstall 5 times. Once I reached the 5th installation it went through like normal. Good luck man.

It is because the disk is dirty or damaged... the file fails i believe because the md5 check fails..  I have seen this on many xp disks in lab and some 2k3 server disks..  The best way to go around this is to try cleaning the disk.. if that doesnt work then you could try calling MS for a replacement or ones of those disk fixers.. 

Guest jeffwalker9999

Hello everyone,

A friend asked me about an issue he is having installing XP, and I was stumped so I thought I'd ask y'all.

He was installing Windows XP Home when an error occurred about a missing file, and it would not continue the installation.  This is at Step 3 "Installing Windows."

He shut down the PC, but when the machine boots, it asks for the Windows CD.  When he puts in the CD, it returns to the same place in setup, but gives the error about the missing file and cannot continue installing. 

He tries to boot from the CD to run recovery console, or a format and reinstall, but the CD returns to the same place in setup, not to the initial setup menu.

He puts in a Windows XP Pro disk and all the same things are happening --  it skips the menu and cuts right to mid-installation. 

I gave him the link in ROM-DOS's sticky about "Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands" to check out, but I'm not sure if it will do the trick.  I figure there must be some key command to return to the setup menu on the CD to start over, but I can't find anything about it.

Any suggestions?

this web site may help - cdrom issues and how to correct

it works i know from hands on

http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=3172

and

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

good luck and here if needed

Tell him to go out and buy a dvd/cd rom cleaner...I have found if I don't clean the drive(being in a basement with concrete dust), it tends to get dirty pretty fast, and sometimes has trouble reading disks...Normally the problem doesn't rear its ugly head until it's time to re-install windows...