Old Equipment Retirement Home?

dotdotus

Does anyone have an idea what should be done with old equipment that is good but so old as to be worthless.  Say...  Top of the line Token-Ring equipment, 15/30 DLT tape drives, P-II Laptops w/Dock 10POUNDS of 100MHz Memory...  All the stuff we dreamed of owning just a few short years ago and now ...?  Any ideas?  Before I trash it and tons more just like it?

They're right, you won't fetch a lot of money - but my husband has an old commodore 64 that he refuses to get rid of.

Some people's junk is another person's treasure! (still junk but hey as long as it isn't in MY closet - I'm ok with it!)

:haha:

The token stuff isnt going to get much.. however, the laptops might catch up to $300 depending on the condition they are in...  Memory is all market dependent.. I wouldnt expect to much for the pc100 stuff.. as it has been a while since the last consumer products were shipped with SDRam..

I know the GOOD stuff is eBay-able, but what about the C-64 WaterRTBH has and the other stuff that is perfectly good working junk...  It kills me to trash it, but like was mentioned by Swimmer about the PC-100 memory, it's been a while.  But it STILL does exactly what it did the day it was made.  I put some of the bigger stuff (old P-II-300 servers and Trinitron monitors) on the curb and they seem to go away, but I've accumulated sooo much over the years that although good, isn't worth the freight it would cost to eBay it.  USR Ext modems, Couriers(!), that 3 years ago were hundreds, now... $20 if your lucky.  And non-profit orgs,aren't interested in it...  As my partner says "It's all crap that you can't GIVE away! Get it out of here"  I guess it's just a lament for our times and I should got over it and be on the look-out for "expiered" iPods...  Once the Videos ones take off, I guess to tune-only ones will be in the same heap - Could this be the Silver-Lining?

There is always some one looking for older parts for something.. I would keep a few sticks of the pc133 stuff.. as I run into some of those machines every once in a while.  The networking gear is hit or miss.. I havent really followed token networking on ebay.. so I couldnt tell ya..

I sold a dirty ashtray on ebay [they paid overnight shipping]-I am SURE someone would buy 10 LBS of memory AND pay the shipping.  Just be honest in your listing and don't expect a fortune.

..and I wont part with my Commodore PET (w 32k) and my SX-64 setup no matter the Ebay bid....  :evil6:

that's sometimes true...but u'll know it got a good home...there are collectors of everything out there...and they look on ebay for the parts to keep their stuff running...i just bought some sort of "antique" ram for an old computer of my dads a while back...my son has an old commodore 64 also that belonged to his grfather (if he still has it)...someday there will probably be (if there isn't already) a museum of computers...huh?

Lets see, back in highschool you could pick up a 1968 Mustang Fastback 390 GTA for $650 running good (I did). And today they will bring $20,000 easy. Go figure what junk will bring later.(early 70's to present) Would have been a worthwhile investment. So yes there are collectors of junk. And they do get paid for their efforts. (eventually)  :lol: