Double connections not allowed?

Name141

Hello, I am having a problem with downloading simultaneously (spelling) on both of my computers.  We just got hughesnet , and I set the router up and such, and if one computers is surfing the internet, we run in to no problems.  However, if one computer is downloading a file from a website, the other can no longer surf the Internet till the other computer is done with it's file, no matter what size cap it has (I keep it at 4 KB/sec , trying not to get FAPed.)

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 Version 4.1 router. 

I called hughesnet, and they tried to say that the modem is only designed to download for one computer, and the other computer would have to just wait for the other computer download the file.

Is this true?  And if so, how come things like Limewire, and bearshare wont affect it?  Also , how come it's not "port related'? I can start a download on port 8080 on one computer, and the other computer still wont be able to surf the Internet.

I was told to cut the router's local DHCP server off, and connect the Modem in to Ethernet port 3, which i did, but still with the same problems.

Welcome to the forum Name141  :wave:

I have heard something similar, like you need the small office to run more than 1 comp.

What is your package anyway?

Have you checked into a small business pkg.?

http://www.hughesnetbiz.com/HUGHES/Rooms/DisplayPages/LayoutInitial?Container=com.webridge.entity.Entity%5BOID%5B4161C0A7C72D6041A98164CD296775F9%5D%5D

It would probably help. :D

I have had 3 PC's downloading at the same time but no larger files (over 5meg). I'm a little confused here. I have read posts elsewhere from you and you said "

I seem to be having problems using my new router, it is for cable/DSL (a linksys BEFSR41 v2) ".

Now you are saying V4.1. Most that I know of with Direcway-Hughesnet use a BEFW11S4 or a  WRTG and I previously used a BEFW11S4. At present I'm using a switch wired to a WRTG and Airlink AR325W both of which has DHCP disabled and  work as switches.

Is your router new or used? Many have tried some routers and just not seem to work well with a sat connection. Keep trying though, but you may need a different router.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the Home Plan and now have the Pro Plan, started on the DW6000 and am now using the 7000, I have used a DLink DI-604 wired router with a Linksys WAP54G wireless access point servicing 1 PC acting as a bridge to another one and a DI-504 Switch in total I have had up to 8 and on average 6 PC's connected to the Lan at a time, the DI-604 has been set up as a router with the DW-7000 connected to the WAN Port providing internet access to all of the PC's. I have had almost no problems with this set-up. In the year I have had Hughes service (formerly Direcway) the router/switch/AP have not caused any problems with my internet access other than the occasional overrun of FAP and occasionally (every couple of months) the need to power cycle the entire setup due to one portion "glitching" due to power fluctuations on our lines. I just power cycled the entire setup any time this happened just because it was simpler than trying to pinpoint the glitch. As for downloading/uploading and browsing, I have downloaded files from 2 or more PC's frequently on both the Home and Pro plan without problems other than a slowing in browsing or download speeds dependant on my file download speeds. Meaning that if I am downloading a file on one PC at 300Kbps and another on a different PC at 250Kbps and am browsing on other PC's as well as the ones downloading then I do have a noticeable slowing of web page loads, I have even had instances on particularly fast downloads when Browsing became so slow it felt like watching paint dry, this is and was expected though becaus my connection normally peaks out at about 1000Kbps down which must be shared between any PC's using the connection at a given time. Your problem does not sound typical to me given my own experiences with the system. I would begin on your setup by looking at your Download/Upload speed test results, this will give you a fair indication of the bandwidth that you have to "Share" among your PC's, if it is "slow" then you very well may be seeing a natural result of a slow connection in which case you should begin looking at your system for problems in either pointing, grounding, cabling etc.. not necessarily in that order. If on the other hand your speed tests show that the bandwidth is there just unused then you should look at your network configuration.

Personally I do not like Linksys Routers much due to frequent problems obtaining IP addresses when reconfiguring systems, they tend to have some odd quirks that do not agree with being changed around a lot in short term configuration changes (I fiddle with network setups and reconfigure equipment a lot while working on computers) that said Linksys products tend to be solid and dependable products.

I had a similar problem a week or so ago.....downloading more than two larger files at once. However just minutes ago did a replay of this very incident seem to work fine running 3 downloads at once while browsing on a third laptop.

nothing was changed with my system.....could have been a glitch at the NOC  :?:

I had a similar problem a week or so ago.....downloading more than two larger files at once. However just minutes ago did a replay of this very incident seem to work fine running 3 downloads at once while browsing on a third laptop.

nothing was changed with my system.....could have been a glitch at the NOC  :?:

Remember....for all intents your mutliple pc's behind a router appear to the NOC as one device....your 2 or 3 pc's each downloading a file...looks to the NOC to be one pc downloading 3 files.