Blinking send light

maximumsport

Greetings:

I am trying to get a modem to stay connected longer than an hour or so.

After about an hour of use the modem will disconnect and the send light will flash.

If I power off the modem for 30seconds to 1 minute it will not reconnect.

However, if I unscrew the CATV cable (quad shielded rg6) and screw it back in then the connection will be restored and function for another hour or so. This works weather I powercycle the modem or not.

Please please please help me if you can.

Have you checked your signal levels?

What kind of modem do you have?  You should be able to do a google search for "signal level check", for your specific type of modem, and find the address.  Perhaps your signal is out of range...

I believe there is a grounding block outside as well...Maybe the cable isn't grounded properly..

Like reso said, call them up...Any problem that is easily replicated, is normally easily fixed as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I had RR come out and look at it twice and each time they came, the signal reads good and works ok. Then a couple hours later same THING!!! then if I play with the cable for a bit unscrewing it and screwing it back, it comes back on for a couple of hours...

Could this be a bad modem?? RR couldn't change it since its my own modem, its a Motorola SB5120.

Hey maximum, type 192.168.100.1 into your web browser (or just click the link) and paste the info from the "signal" page and also paste the info from your modems log back here.

I am not home at the moment, but I think the log is located under the last tab at the top of the diag page.

Click that far right tab and then look for the log.

edit: I just realized this thread is from like a week ago.....

how many times is your like split before it gets to the cable modem maximumsport? if it is split to many times this will happen.

Yes, I had the same problem they but this box with like 15 blue and green lights in my basement and its some sort of signal booster.

• 1 year later...

Maximum, did you ever resolve this issue?  I'm experiencing the exact same problems with a Motorola SB5120 and Comcast.  A tech came out yesterday and replaced the coax from the splitter to the modem as well as the splitter itself.  He said the coax was bad.  Later in the evening, however, the issue pooped up again...three times within one hour.  The modem stops and hangs on the blinking "send" light.  Very frustrating when you're in the middle of something.

Maximum, did you ever resolve this issue?  I'm experiencing the exact same problems with a Motorola SB5120 and Comcast.  A tech came out yesterday and replaced the coax from the splitter to the modem as well as the splitter itself.  He said the coax was bad.  Later in the evening, however, the issue pooped up again...three times within one hour.  The modem stops and hangs on the blinking "send" light.  Very frustrating when you're in the middle of something.

What are your levels from your modem?

Type 192.168.100.1 into your browser and choose the "Signal" tab at the top.

Copy and paste your levels and post them back here.

Sounds like your transmit levels could be too high.

Here is an example from my modem:

Downstream  Value

Frequency 589750000 Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio 35 dB

QAM QAM256

Network Access Control Object ON

Power Level -8 dBmV 

The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value

Channel ID 3

Frequency 35100000 Hz

Ranging Service ID 5150

Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s

Power Level 53 dBmV

dn0, thank you for the response.  Since posting, my issue seems to have disappeard.  Thinking back, I realized that the problem started around the time I upgraded my network card driver.  I rolled back the network card driver and haven't experienced the issue since...its only been a couple days so I'm still holding my fingers crossed.  Rather odd that a network card driver would cause an issue like this.  None the less, below are my readings. 

Downstream  Value

Frequency 615000000 Hz 

Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB 

QAM QAM256

Network Access Control Object ON

Power Level 13 dBmV  The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading 

Upstream  Value

Channel ID 3

Frequency 21600000 Hz 

Ranging Service ID 4595

Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s

Power Level 50 dBmV 

You have a -8 downstream power level?  Is that normal?

Yes, the modem and NIC card are entirely separate, so the drivers should not have anything to do with it, but there are many mysteries to CATV; if it works, keep it that way.

Your modem levels are much better than mine ( -8 on mine is low, but still within range ), but that doesn't mean that there could have been a problem with your line a couple days ago.

Your receive level is 13dB - a little hot, but should not be an issue.

Your transmit level is 50dB - the maximum is typically around 55-58 dB, depending upon the upstream modulation your ISP is using, so that looks OK.

Many people say the it needs to be below 50dB, but if the signal path is clean, it will run forever even at 53dB like my modem is transmitting.

And your forward signal to noise ratio (SNR) is 36dB, which is good; this needs to stay above 32dB or so to keep things error free.

If you continue having problems, keep an eye on your levels and post back here.