Google Web Accelerator

jelwell

About a month ago, I decided to give Google's web accelerator a try.  Subjectively, the downloading speed did seem faster.

Then, I decided to get scientific and ran testmy.net's downloading test with and without the accelerator on.  With the accelerator off, I got speeds around 4.2 Mbps, which is slightly better than Adelphia's advertised speed.  With the accelerator on, I got speeds as high as 10 Mbps.  Then, I stopped running tests for awhile.  Today, I ran downloading tests with the accelerator on and off.  In both cases, I got speeds around 4.2 Mbps.

At that point, I thought the accelerator was busted.  So, I reinstalled the accelerator and ran tests with it on and off again.  Again, I got speeds around 4.2 Mbps regardless of whether or not the accelerator was on or off.  What's going on?

Google's accelerator doesn't actually boost your line speed. It works, in a sense, like the cache on your home computer. It basically stores copies of popular pages/files on googles servers to get them to you faster.

I'd reccomend looking around the google help site for a full explanation of how it operates.

http://webaccelerator.google.com/support.html#basics2

Thank you for your response to my Google accelerator question.  I have read how that accelerator works and about others like it and know it doesn't actually increase line speed.  That aside, testmy.net's downloading test at one time showed a higher speed with the accerator on than when off.  My question is why is the downloading test now showing the same speed whether the accelerator is on or off?  Or another question might be, why did the test show a higher speed with the accelerator on at one time.  Still another question might be why does the testmy.net test even know about the accelerator being on?  Apparently the test must know sometihing about accelerators because the user is advised to turn his/her accerlerator off before testing.

Still another question might be why does the testmy.net test even know about the accelerator being on?  Apparently the test must know sometihing about accelerators because the user is advised to turn his/her accerlerator off before testing.

the test it self doest know about any accelerator being on, ca3le just knows that with the accelerator being on you will get a cached result, so thats why he tells you to turn it off before testing.

Guest jeffwalker9999

an good application

that does work is

http://www.tcompressor.com/

I use it at times with my sprint / novatel wireless modem and service

kicks in and out of being connected to servers

but does work and can see page load speed differences

have used on a dailup and/or wireless connection - hands on