UK adsl SAGA .VOL 1

Roco

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off course not resopalrabotnick, for power lines I prefer to just drop a tree on it. Much more efficient and quick. They tend to come out rather quickly.

One time I gave them over a week to disconnect a power line so I could cut down some trees. They even stopped in a large trck one time and did not bother to do it. So finally I decided to go ahead and start cutting.

No matter how careful you are with that many trees it would be hard not to do any damage. Low and behold eventually after carefully trying to not do this terrible deed, I finally knocked the power line out of the air. A loud bang and it was down out of my way finally.

I finally was relieved to know it was down. After that it was smooth sailing cutting the trees. And the power company arrived that night to rehook it back up.  :lol:

It pays to loose your patience some times.  :haha:

Thanks for the comments guys , My new 8Mb broadband has finally settled at an average of 2.2 Mbps , just under the national UK average  :evil3:

so I now have to decide what to do about it, I am

tied  to a years contract with my ISP,, for a up to 8Mb service, I have been given theire  Bullshit about my up to speeds, I personaly think I should go for the throat , over this, as they cant produce the promised speed , or anywhere near it,  yes or no ?

thanks Just , I have checked with NTL/Telewest , I can get phone and 2Mb broadband for

That is what Roco said,

LOL that is just bad luck roco

Friday the 13th bad luck things happen.

The only day you can contract " Paraskavedekatriaphobia ", and I truly believe Roco had a bad case of it that day. Medically speaking of course!

"Friday, June 13, 1913" is a day to be dreaded in all languages!

Also Historians propose the origin of the "Black Friday" was the simultaneous arrest of thousands of Knights Templars on Friday, October 13, 1307, to be later tortured into admitting heresy.

The Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina estimates that in the United States alone, $800 or $900 million is lost in business each Friday the 13th because people will not fly or do business they would normally do.

Psychologists have found that some people are especially likely to have accidents or fall ill on Friday the 13th. A study in 1993 found people driving less often on Friday the 13th but found that incidents of car accidents nevertheless went up significantly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th

http://www.snopes.com/luck/friday13.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/historical/a/friday_the_13th.htm

http://rchaimqoton.blogspot.com/2006/10/friday-thirteenth.html

http://www.howstuffworks.com/friday-thirteenth.htm

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/02/0212_040212_friday13.html

http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110009086

http://www.viamagazine.com/top_stories/articles/lucky_1304.asp

http://skepdic.com/paraskevidekatriaphobia.html

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/friday13th.html

:lol:

LOL that is just bad luck roco

i had to hand in an assigment on that day

yeah i am confident about it

nott

"Just" I am sure all went well , over confidence is the normal downfall  :shock:, just like me and my battlle with my 8Mb connection , not,  :lol:

Tommie , No boiled feet for me (Knights Templar) only  hair lose from my ISP,reply in 48 hrs,  :shock: , not,  guess I will soon be back on 56k dial up  :angry5: latest test from TMN. =

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 407 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 50 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/10/17 - 2:09pm

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 20.48 sec

Tested from a 386 kB file and took 7.781 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 23.9 % of your hosts average (pipex.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8ROX4EM5Z

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon) [!]

and only 4 disconnects this evening  :whaa::angry5:

lol have you seen this NEW pipex adverts... god do they get on my nerves!

Yeah, thanks Fiber Optic, I thought I was the only one to think that way , LOL, kinda makes me sad to see pipex go that way, I wonder how many $$$$$$ the adverts cost ?, and why use the Hassle-hof, if they only used a fraction of that cost Pipex could have the #1  adsl service, IMHO

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pipex History =

The original company was established in 1991, originating from Unipalm, a software reseller in Cambridge, as the first commercial ISP in Britain. It initially operated with a 64k transatlantic leased line to UUNET. One of its first customers was Demon Internet.

The new Pipex company went on to offer domestic broadband services using BT's ADSL system, rapidly gaining market share by competitive pricing. It was announced in October 2003 that it had been purchased by GX Networks plc, for

latest update , got a reply to my request for help from Pipex.com my ISP.and some British Telcom tests to do, and suggestions that P2P /file sharing could be the problem ,

NOT !

and the advice that  if my tests prove higher than 800Kbps on a 8Mb service they will be unable to help  :angry5:, I have pointed out I am posting  this infomation on Testmy.net, for the benefit of other UK members with a similar speed problem, 

Unable to complete the suggested tests as the site was congested  :lol:, and I got a disconnect thrown in for free,  :shock:

so I guess the problem moves up another notch,     

In a couple of words, I am glad sometimes when I am on your side sometimes Roco.  ;)

*gives Roco a big friendly hug*

Kick butt.  :evil:

In a couple of words, I am glad sometimes when I am on your side sometimes Roco.  ;)

*gives Roco a big friendly hug*

Kick butt.  :evil:

Thanks Tommie, I appreciated that,  yeah it gets a bit lonely  at times taking on a big ISP,  I set the first trap and they walked straight into it ,

but they will now be a bit more cautious in future, so the battle goes on,

but with TMN covering my back, I feel confident of the outcome  :lol:

Fibre Optic , it sync's at 1.7-2.9 Mb, but the true speed is 1.8Mb as it negotiates down to that level,  my line test to the BT hub is as follows =

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user 0208xxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1817 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 217.xx.xx.xxx your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.

For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.

For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.

For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.

Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's helpdesk.  

LOL , passing the buck . I aint going that route , I have purchased a 8Mb service,

my ISP is taking the money, is it my fault they didn't check my line and Exchange,

(due care and diligence, UK law ) was I told this speed or lack of it would happen ?

I got this on signing up     

you were lucky i think

how far are you from the local loop fiberoptic

and what about you roco?

Hi Just

2.75 Km on a 50y old line on a congested exchange, so not much hope for me with adsl,  :cry:,

Telewest do a phone and cable package, so soon as I can I am going for it, 

im around 134m Straight from the exchange! but confused why i didnt get the full 8mb with BT

Good question Fiber Optic, I wish the person that did get the full 8Mb would stand up , the average for London is 2.4 Mb , nobody in the survey got over 3Mb, some only 500Kb

I think the 8Mb service was lead by the Gov,to catch up with the rest of the world, so we now have up to 8Mb on offer  :lol:

and no help if you get over 600Kbps as that is BT 's min before they will take any notice , something the ISP's dont mention b4 you sign up

my Isp's estimate b4 I signed  ( thanks Fiber Optic  ;) )

yeah i think it is a con this 8mb crap

it is just annoying that don't give realist expectation to the users

this is what i don't like about adsl even adsl2+

it depends on the distance and this and that

with cable and fiber optic

u going to get this and u get this

before with adsl use to be like this but now since they want to stretch its capabilities

they using distance as a factor which does not enable them to provide an accurate reading to the user before he signs something

right enough Just, but the worst part is once you are signed up and wait the 10 days for the line to adapt , then find out your true lack of speed , your ISP will say it is beyond their network, go and complain to BT, so BT says go and complain to your ISP and you go round in ever decreasing circles, :angry5:

My ISP has given me details to do a speed test direct to the BT hub, lol, I was unable to compete the test because of congestion,  :lol:

I found this small print when I signed up

Can I get 8Mb speeds with Pipex?

Pipex was a member of the original group of ISP's that tested the IPstream Max service over the BT Wholesale network in the summer of 2005. IPstream Max is designed to offer broadband download speeds of up to 8Mb and upload speeds of 448Kb . Business services should have an upload speed of 832Kb. We have now launched 8Mb broadband services for all residential products. Whether or not you can actually get 8Mb is totally dependant on your BT line. However, once you make an order with us we will check your BT line to see what speed you can actually get.

no they didn't , well they never told me if they did , now they want me to do the testing for them ,  :whaa:

yeah i think it is a con this 8mb crap

it is just annoying that don't give realist expectation to the users

this is what i don't like about adsl even adsl2+

it depends on the distance and this and that

with cable and fiber optic

u going to get this and u get this

before with adsl use to be like this but now since they want to stretch its capabilities

they using distance as a factor which does not enable them to provide an accurate reading to the user before he signs something

Thats why I still have my 10Mb cable connection! Just in case!