cox increase speed to 12mbps and decreasing monthly cost in Sierra Vista,AZ

jx007

• 1 month later...

It's about time to got some high speeds for a lower price. I was happy beginning when cox increase my services to 9megs but now 12megs, WOW!!! man i don't know what to say..  :D

:wave: :wave: Welcome to the forum. That is awesome news. What is your DL test looking like? Are you hitting the new speed?

It's about time to got some high speeds for a lower price. I was happy beginning when Cox increase my services to 9megs but now 12megs, WOW!!! man i don't know what to say..  :D

Cox has this great habit of doing that like overnight and poof one day...yer surfin faster.  When I was a Cox customer ages ago...they did it to me twice....aside from a pesky issue with a signal problem (that they did finally solve)...I honestly had nary a complaint one about them in OK.

Cox has this great habit of doing that like overnight and poof one day...yer surfin faster.  When I was a Cox customer ages ago...they did it to me twice....aside from a pesky issue with a signal problem (that they did finally solve)...I honestly had nary a complaint one about them in OK.

I have loved Cox with never a single problem. They are now sudden link here but still great.

• 1 month later...

Hello all you Wednesday folk. I posted elsewhere, somewhat off-topic, that I just ordered the Cox 12/1. It's been about 3 days and 6 phone calls since. Now I'm getting about 5.5MB down and the *new* 1MB up. Problem=I already had 5.5MB down...nearly everywhere I tested..or close enough.

Dear Cox didn't hesitate to bill me a mysterious amount 'extra' $14.00  the instant I ordered the upgrade online, and my regular monthly will be a shocking $63.90/month from here on out. Which I'm not thrilled about, naturally...but it's zero benefit to me.

I got the no-longer-unusual runaround on the phone, of course.  :smiley6600: Of aprox. 6 calls, I was treated as not entirely stupid by one person in the order department and one tech, but no joy. I will have to 'prove' it to Cox by having numerous truck rolls I suppose. "See? even at cox/lv no improvement on download speeds whatsoever.".

Naturally I ran Tcp Optimizer as well as Cablenut and tweaked and fiddled proactively :grin:. No joy still as of this writing.

Any ideas please? I'm pretty well convinced that since the upgrade didn't even budge the download one bit, that it's at 'their end'. I 'know my beans' in some ways, but this has me stumped.

This an elderly('99), but really solid pc with 512MB Ram and it runs like a top. Please don't hate me for loving WinME. 'She's' as slick as be. :smitten: Sorry I'm so long-winded this morning. Time for a cuppa and what can I say but thanks for being here and thanks in advance!

:uglystupid2: I should've added that I live in Arizona, not Sierra Vista but Scottsdale and boy, the Scottsdale mirror really gives me some surprising results!!! 50MB, anyone? But that's BEFORE the upgrade, now it's 24MB...as Henry Gibson opined on 'Laugh In' (in WW2 German uniform): "Werry interesting! But schtupid!" Just joshin. I visit dlewis23-2 just for fun. But it IS interesting that after the upgrade...voila' ! Not even that joy remains :shocked::

.......chances are that WinMe wont allow you to go as high as you can - winME, as everyone here knows, is one of the biggest downfalls in the operating system history LOL - and the fact that it is on an older computer might compromise the speed as well - unless it is in tip-top shape

Hey disturbed 'n' spart :wink:.my WinME is getting 30MB to 50MB on the Scottsdale mirror dlewis23-3...naturally that's a phenom. of proximity. I'm hopeful that Cox service will get off their duff and set THEIR end up properly. They and no one else shouldn't buy into the notion that WinME must be ditched if it's been made near perfect. I've done tweaks and some of the Cablenut stuff but it's as good as can be until Cox gets busy.

Thanks for the interest :angel:

Hey disturbed 'n' spart :wink:.my WinME is getting 30MB to 50MB on the Scottsdale mirror dlewis23-3...naturally that's a phenom. of proximity. I'm hopeful that Cox service will get off their duff and set THEIR end up properly. They and no one else shouldn't buy into the notion that WinME must be ditched if it's been made near perfect. I've done tweaks and some of the Cablenut stuff but it's as good as can be until Cox gets busy.

Thanks for the interest :angel:

Those speeds that your getting (20-50) are cached (Fake speeds).  :grin2:

:cool2:Well, possibly due to 'cached' speeds, but the fact that dlewis-23-1 is just around the corner here in Scottsdale may play a role too :grin: Just deal with it and grow new buddies here. I am a die-hard WinMe fan..I'd not have even *mentioned* it but so many people like to flame it...why deprive them of their pleasure?  :grin:

:cool2:Well, possibly due to 'cached' speeds, but the fact that dlewis-23-1 is just around the corner here in Scottsdale may play a role too :grin: Just deal with it and grow new buddies here. I am a die-hard WinMe fan..I'd not have even *mentioned* it but so many people like to flame it...why deprive them of their pleasure?  :grin:

:thumbsup: I like your style. You will do well in here. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! !

Anyway to fix the cached test as he says, is to clean out your temporary files. Do you use a registry cleaner? Or maybe close enough, just run Disk Clean Up from your start menu.

Tommie! I do appreciate the 'thinking' behind that suggestion...one never knows how much another does or doesn't do/know in terms of routine stuff like Temp. file/Cookies/'.tmp' file dump/and all that jazz...but it's a 'religious obligation' with me personally, and done several times daily certainly before and after critical speed tests with a new $ cable plan. Absolutely bloomin' true though tommie..good on ya!! I'm dumb as a box o' rocks occasionally. Don't be surprised  :idiot2: <me, whenever possible.. :uglystupid2:<me, by definition. And thanks for the 'will fit right in'. I *was* kind of getting the idea that 'she who uses WinME is persona non grata here and everywhere. So, I don't 'tout' it except to say the old adage (as with any system): G.I.G.O.  :azn: See you all some more after Cox passes the buck in like fashion...about 17 times...then I'll dump the upgrade and re-have my (so-called) 7/512 gladly. Company in hot tub. Must go make nice.  :angel:

Tommie, I take it that you've met up with the philosopher that states:"Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes....

'..That way, you'll be a mile away and you'll *have* their shoes"

Plus some skirmish with a really person with really serious foot-fetish problems? If I'm making fun of an actual disability...mea culpa in advance.

You're welcome re: invite :roll:...know what you mean about the tele-transporter thing. Mine's always in the shop.  :2funny: Oh we're so funny, eh? :!:

P.S. As yet no joy re new download speeds reflecting new price tier...and shant be unless a miracle or Cox decides to stop 'blaming the victims' and get on the stick. No, I haven't called them more than 6 times in last 5 days...but when my company leaves...they'll have a train load of truck rolls 'til *they* cry "uncle!".  :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

[nerdly]:cheesy:

I won't apologize to Cox cable now that 3 weeks later, I'm finally gettin the 12/1 I've already paid for. If they had ever even *once* suggested/mentioned/asked re: usb vs ethernet when on the phone or in person? I'd have been a much happier camper this last year and a half with them for HSI than I have been. :knuppel2:

Having said that...I finally bowed to convention from many references here and elsewhere to get with it and go PCI ethernet...silly me for expecting Cox to vote for that if it would be helpful, eh? That increase to 12/1 being a 'fact' didn't happen until I'd done 3 things differently. I already mentioned installing the ethernet card. Secondly, I moved my operation to the end of my place nearest the 'tap' into the condo. Lock, stock and barrel. The signals were real good already and went 'perfect' instantly...but the third puzzle piece that folks HERE clued me about hadn't even occured to me...as my F/W on or off has never before made ANY difference in my download speed tests...but now it does!!!! So, OFF it goes when I'm about to test at TMN especially...elsewhere? not so critical...why? I dunno :laugh: I hope this 'journey' I've made will shed light on the situation for someone somewhere. (Many will scoff and say: "Elementary my dear Ms. Mo..Pish tosh!" but... :cool2: