Swith to DSL or not?

RAINMAKA

right now i have 6000/512 cable and it costs about $60 a month. on the internet it says that my house is finally available for sbc dsl and i am considering getting it because it is only about $18 a month. the package i was looking at stated download speeds of 1.5-3Mbps and upload of 384-512Kbps. i was wondering who has this package and if anybody is getting close to 3Mbps download and 512Kbps upload. i hear that the farther away you are from the central office the slower your dsl will be. not sure if that is true and if it is where can i go to find out how far away i am.

most ppl in my area (austin Tx) get about 95% of their advertise speed once tweek

this is my result

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 2584 Kbps about 2.58 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 315 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2006/09/29 - 5:27am

Bottom Line:: 45X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.25 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 9.485 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 72.85 % of your hosts average (swbell.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8245F1NZP

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7 [!]

it says im running at 75% but thats because there a new 6 mb package

im on the 3.0 down 512 up so im getting like 90% of my speed and i have not tweek it in ages

then again there a central offices all over the place here in austin so every1 is preatty close 2 advertised speed

my advice go and c if some1 around u has it

grab a psp or laptop and look for wifi most sbc ppl will b noobs to networking and will say

damn i cant rember the name

i'll think about it during the day

any1 find some1 who has it an ask if u can c how fast it is

im pretty sure one of my neighbors just got the 1.5Mbps package, so if went to his house and say he is getting 1.3Mbps which is roughly 86% or average i could expect to get 2.6Mbps. would i be ok in making the assumption that what ever percentage of advertised his is getting, that i should be able to get the same percentage of my advertised?

most ppl in my area (austin Tx) get about 95% of their advertise speed once tweek

Well, ****! We're **** near neighbors!  ;)

I had SBC Yahoo here in Houston for a while and had lots of connection problems. I was also at the outer limit of the recommended distance and I was getting roughly half of the advertised speed when I could stay on line. And their tech support was garbage, IMHO.

I would suggest researching it well before committing. Or, if price is the issue, does your provider offer a cheaper package? And does that $18 offer expire in a year?