Network Speed

datlan

I just installed a Netgear 802.11g router (WGR614). I currently have two computers connected to it -- one has a Netgear 802.11g wireless PCI adapter and the other computer is wired directly to the router.

I would expect that when I copy files from the wired to wireless computer, I would get about 23Mbs transfer speed. However, when I look at the monitor that came with the wireless card when transferring a file, it shows the receive speed as fluctuating wildly between 0.39 Mbps and 13 Mbps, with an average of about 6 Mbps.

Does this seem normal? Am I expecting too much?

speed.jpg

Thanks,

Derek

Ok....The thing about wireless networks is that a lot of stuff can interfer witht them ie: 2.4ghz cordless phones, microwaves, etc. You should get some where in the 20mbs range. The 54mb is it maximum output. You will NEVER see this speed. You might want to change channels to see if there is some interfierence in the area. The other thing is that you could have someone in the area, 300 ft- 500 ft, running on the same channel. Try that then post the results again. I do know that the 802.11b version gets about 3.2-3.6mbs. That is the 11mbs version. So about 5x that would be 15-17mbs. However i still think that the technology is better now then before so 20mbs isnt unreasonable.

Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...