Router-BEFSR41- can't connect to internet

Incronical

I would like to thank you way in advance for even considering reading this topic.

Internet: Cable/ Adelphia

Router: Linksys BEFSR41

I am having trouble setting up my router, as stated in the title, I can't get my router to connect to the Internet. I ran the wizard that comes with the router, and go through it when it ask for Internet type I tried both the DHCP and static ip settings, neither worked. For the static ip I used the cmd command ipconfig/all to get the information but that doesn't work; Can anyone give me some advice?

If there is a similar topic to this that explains what to do, I'm sorry that I posted this but I could not find any thing that would help.

This is my first time actually setting up(or trying to)a router from scratch.

I do indeed Thank-you, your advice has lead me to the solution. After I tried what you suggested it did not work so I did it agian but I thought about what I didn't do (♣ right to the face) I didn't reset my modem(argh!) after that it worked, thanks for your help. Big ♥'s to you.