Firefox.exe

Mr. Hahn

I just noticed recently that a process called "firefox.exe" cannot be stopped, even manually. I do use firefox, but this is pretty unusual. I can stop the process, but it immediately restarts itself. Another process under the same name is also present with this one while the browser is running, so something is telling me this may be something fishy. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I recently started experiences major mouse lag in City of Heroes. I have no way of testing if the two are linked, but they possibly could be.

According to this, it is the FIrefox itself. (I use IE6)

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/firefox.asp

"Fire Fox

firefox.exe - Here is the scoop on Fire Fox Web Browser. The big question: what is firefox.exe and is it spyware, a trojan and if so, how do I get rid of Fire Fox Web Browser?

Fire fox - Firefox.exe Web Browser Details

The firefox.exe process is the main program for the firebox web browser, an alternative to Internet Explorer. Firefox is an OpenSource program and so is free to download, and potentially more secure than Internet Explorer. If you prefer to use firefox, leave this process running.

I have had this happen to me at times with the past two updates of FF. I NEVER had trouble with it before, but after the last two updates it locks on me. Then I try to open another FF after closing all the windows and it says FF is running. So I hit the ol ctrl-alt-del and sure enough Firefox.exe is running. I have trouble killing it at times. I know this isnt the same problem per se, but probably linked.

Yeah, it's pretty strange. This other .exe is only using 2.9mb of ram too, compared to the 30-40mb that the real firefox usually uses. I kill it, it restarts itself. I've scanned with many virus scanners with nothing found. I'm at a loss of what to do about it.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

Try downloading this free prog and see what is starting it up. This prog is pretty good about killing shit. It doesnt even install it just runs. After running it the first time click under options and select "hide Microsoft entries." The rest are optional (except for drivers and what not of course).