sp2 download

maddoghunter

hi there guys and gals,ive got a bit of a problem with a neighbours pc,i cleaned his pc up using ccleaner,spybot,ect but when i was doing this i noted he didnt have the sp2 download from microsoft,and a few other downloads and fixes,when i asked him why he said that his brother told him all these updates were slowing his pc down,so his brother removed them,he has windows xp home,another thing he told me was tht he couldn't get his printer and scanner working when he had the sp2 installed previously,  ok the problem is he has downloaded all the updates for his pc again including sp2,,,,,,,and sure enough his printer and scanner doesn't work,the drivers for the scanner and all that  was installed again.any help on wot maybee happening!!!!as his kids need the printer and scanner for homework!!!!!!!he was gonna take sp2 out his pc again but i said i know the pepole who will fix it YOUS GUYS :haha:

That is interesting...  I have seen sp2 slow down computer that have been patched to hell then upgraded instead of doing a clean install and just applying sp2 right away..

What type of printer/scanner does he have?  I know some hardware will only function correctly on SP2 machines, like most of creative's sound cards. 

ok guys heres an update,,,,the scanner is a packardbell diamond 1200plusv10,i tried uninstaling from pc but it wont let me,also when the pc starts it says there a problem with the driver or someit,so i tried unistalling with easy cleaner tht wouldnt let me,but it did let me deleit it,but tht was no good cause when i restarted the pc the scanner was still there,my freind told me his brother had same problem,but he went out and bought a new scanner,

Okay....I think I know what you may have done....let me guess...you left the scanner connected to the pc even after installing the new XP.  Problem is that this scanner is a USB device and like many USB devices XP will attempt to load what it thinks is the correct driver for it.  When you try to install the software after the fact, it chokes because of the bogus driver already loaded.  Go into device manager and see if you have devices in the OTHER section that show to be partially loaded.  If so...disconnect the scanner and then uninstall all the "OTHER" devices.  Reboot and then go back and install the device software again.  After the device drivers are installed then reconnect your scanner....with a little luck that will be it.