Weird noise

Ryan314

Okay so lately when i play a game and my comp fan kicks into over drive or w.e and starts going quicker i hear a faint but distinct buzzing noise.. i really cant make out what it is but its not constant like its random when the fan is going quickly. Any ideas what it may be?

don't use canadian air on the fans. it will make them start speaking french!

don't use canned air on the fans. the burst of air can cause them to spin faster than intended and damage the bearings.

the sound you are describing sounds like a resonant noise, meaning a slight vibration that is causing the harmonics you hear.

dust bunnies on the fan can cause an imbalance of the blades causing vibration. either lure them out with a few gobs of lint from the dryer or remove the fan and carefully clean it with q-tips or similar things. don't forget to remove any dust clogging the heatsink as well.

don't use canadian air on the fans. it will make them start speaking french!

don't use canned air on the fans. the burst of air can cause them to spin faster than intended and damage the bearings.

the sound you are describing sounds like a resonant noise, meaning a slight vibration that is causing the harmonics you hear.

dust bunnies on the fan can cause an imbalance of the blades causing vibration. either lure them out with a few gobs of lint from the dryer or remove the fan and carefully clean it with q-tips or similar things. don't forget to remove any dust clogging the heatsink as well.

I have been building systems for over 15 years and to properly clean your fans u can do this by a can of air, all you need to do is hold the fan with your finger so it doesnt rotate. :-)  Your system should be clean out with compressed air at least once every 3 months to avoid over heating of system componets as dust particals will act as insullation and keep the heat in the components and not allow them to breath.  Also i have seen alot about the CCcleaner program, i found that to work really good too but i have always used Cleanup 4.5.2 that program can be found here

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

Its has a very simple interface and works really well.

Hmm i have an electric air compressor but A. its like a really big tank and its one of those kinds that holds alot of air so its way too heavy to drag from the shed to my room and B. thats awful loud to be in my room  :haha: ill just buy me a can of air = P

you could take your computer down to it.

my fan makes noise sometimes too...well it used to til my son got me a new one...anyway...it would quit making the noise for awhile after i cleaned my case out, including the fan...i did not know that about the fan and the canned air thingy, but i always hold the can way back anyway cuz it just seems too forceful and on the fan i would hold it still while i sprayed...but not cuz i knew anything about it hurting it...but cuz i figured it couldn't get all the dust out if it was spinning so fast...

thx for the info guys...i learned something today...my momma always said."it's a poor day that u don't learn something"...so today is a good day :D

Ryan314;Think of how small the fan motor & its bushings & electrical windings are.An air spin is like putting several hours use all at once.If you like to watch one spin with compressed air get an old no good one & spin it till it flys apart.Or better yet go down to the hobbie shop get a model airplane propeller rig you a shaft & some bearings attach the propeller & spin the heck out of it.Or make you a whirley-gig & let the wind do it.