I love Cox DOT-NET!!

CA3LE

I'm currently in California and on shitty comcast (6mbps/512kbps) but I did remote connection to my house in Phoenix and got the following score

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 12143 Kbps about 12.14 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1482 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 1123 Kbps about 1.12 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 137 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/10/07 - 11:35pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-3UZV980OR

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-DF91BI86A

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

damn my connection ROCKS!

i have always been on 2mb dsl and cable

this year i finaly got 4mb and it is so fast i can't believe it

6mb and u complaining ca3le OMG

12 mb at your house OMG i just dont know what would happend if i had one of those connection

maybe i would never get our of my room lol :)

Greetings from the "Elder" or at least the gray haired one. I've been around pc's since the "trash 80's" were out, and sold several systems at our favorite place. Radio shack. Back in the day of the black and white monitors, and 5 1/4" hard drive err... floppy disk.

As the veritable "noob" to tweaking, I had to do something  with the speeds I was getting in the metro Phoenix area of AZ and turned to cable nut after trying other things. It's been a while since visiting here, and I recently found out that I'm now getting the "infamous" 8/ 512 package from them. And decided to see what I   could do. this is the first repeatable download speed attained, and thought I would share it.

::::::::::.. Download Stats ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 7939 Kbps about 7.9 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 969 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/10/11 - 11:49pm

Bottom Line:: 138X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.06 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 12.547 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 58.02 % faster than the average for host (Cox.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-J46YWALBC

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

as far as the upload speed, Cox must really have it locked down because no matter what the settings are changed to, it changes very very little. I'm getting about 82% of what I should be and not sure what to do. any suggestions?  Oh and whats under the hood. Intel P4 3.2 Prescott with a Zalman CNPS9500 LED. using  Arctic Silver so thin you could almost see through it and once it completely cured.... I  now run the processor at 3.66 GHz with a core temp of 123 degrees to 135 under load. "On Air" 1 Gig matched corsair ram in black with the activity LED's on them "PC550" just a bit of head room in dual mode. and most recently I got an EVGA GeForce 7800 GS "copper" that is "hyper clocked" the current settings are 485 for the core, and 1.45 GHz on 256meg DDR3 it's the second one from EVGA, but this one rocks. ok, enough of that. "stepping down from podium" I know there are faster systems out there, but this one can hold it's own. Oh and the power supply is 600 watts. if someone comes up with a fix for my upload speed, by all means let me know.

I also love Cox Cable.  My internet speed used to be 4Mbps.  Out of the blue, they uped it to 7Mbps.  I'm happy but I don't know why I did it.  I see no price changes or anything about that.

::::::::::.. Download Stats ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 7422 Kbps about 7.4 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 906 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/10/12 - 12:53pm

Bottom Line:: 129X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.13 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 13.422 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 47.55 % faster than the average for host (Cox.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8QS7V42DT

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7

I live in a small town in Florida.  Our speeds are slower because we're not a big city.  But I'm happy they did this.  The faster, the better.  BTW, I just found out today that they uped the speeds  :).

I forgot to mention that this was with the Preffered package, not the Premier one.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 15325 Kbps about 15.3 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1871 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/10/12 - 6:09pm

Bottom Line:: 267X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.55 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 6.5 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 203.53 % faster than the average for host (cox.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-61KJR4BP0

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

Cox has 17/2 packages and i think a 30/2.  ofcourse you couldnt afford em cuz they charge outrageous for rm.  unless u hackd ur modem your stuck with the basic speeds.  they are supposed to be business class pckgs..

Also have to have them available in your area... they only put those connections in areas where they have heavy competition (FIOS, lol)...  FIOS needs to get their ass in my area!  NOW! :-P

fios is gonna jump start cable networks where they are supposed to be but will fizzle.  they cant compete with docsis 3.0, that is when its ready.  160/120 possibility.  cable isps are just not spending money because, well, they dont have to upgrade their equipment.  it is definitely a monopoly, a greed issue.  why give someone a 60mbps connection for 100 dollars when i can give em 30 for 100.  no competition.  fios brings this competition and ofcourse forces the cable isps to protect their customer base.  pretty soon everything will be streaming and on demand.  and their current tiers are insufficient to support this, in the internet race america is definitely last.  charging businesses 3000 dollars a month for full backbones.  how does a small business survive in this enviorment.  they dont, they settle for crappy tiers which cant possibly meet the demands of their clients.  that being said, excuse the rant.

Fios kicks ass!  I love mine.  I've had the 15/2 package for about 1 1/2 years now.  The thing that really amazes me is that the speed NEVER fluctuates!!  I get my full speed  (up & down) all the time, day and night.  I also love the fios TV service.  I've got HD and two HD DVR's for less money then I was paying for Comcast's crappy service. 

I wish that Comcast would up their speeds in my area so that Verizon would have to go to 20/5 at my price level.  This is what's happening in other areas of the country. 

fios is gonna jump start cable networks where they are supposed to be but will fizzle.  they cant compete with docsis 3.0, that is when its ready.  160/120 possibility.  cable isps are just not spending money because, well, they dont have to upgrade their equipment.  it is definitely a monopoly, a greed issue.  why give someone a 60mbps connection for 100 dollars when i can give em 30 for 100.  no competition.  fios brings this competition and ofcourse forces the cable isps to protect their customer base.  pretty soon everything will be streaming and on demand.  and their current tiers are insufficient to support this, in the internet race america is definitely last.  charging businesses 3000 dollars a month for full backbones.  how does a small business survive in this enviorment.  they dont, they settle for crappy tiers which cant possibly meet the demands of their clients.  that being said, excuse the rant.

Are you saying that Fios can't compete?  Perhaps I'm missunderstanding. 

you will never see 160/120 from docsis 3.0 ever in the real world. they will be luckey if they get 100/20 out of it in the real world.

if i remember correctly a fiber line can do 600mbps with no problem right now.

yes it has oc-12 capabilites which is theoretically 600mbps.  but just about all cable comps use fiber backbones.  whats interesting is that fiber doesnt transfer photons faster than copper transfers electrons...  they both transmit at roughly the speed of light.  difference is fiber is impervious to electromagnetic interference and other transport interferences.  not comparin fiber, comparing dsl and cable.  fios is the fastest dsl available.  and optimum online is the fastest cable net.  fios ofcourse blows optimum away.  i was speakin of the future of broadband.  just what eventually its leading to.  and yes it is very possible in the real world for 160/120.  im on a docsis 1.0 net and i receive all of my maximum potential which 38/30.  and my buddy on optimum gets 30/30 on his 2.0 net.  so what exactly makes u think that its not possible in the real world.  there are aproximately 46,478 cable internet subscribers on my net segment.  and at any given time from a dedicated server a max my potential.  this is merely discussion and not tryin to irratate anyone.  id really like to get some intelligent insight and opinions.

I believe, for a cable network anyway, that most ISPs overload their hubs so that it would not be possible to get such speeds at the end user. The cables themselves may be capable of carrying the max speeds, but the processing at the servers becomes the weak link. Upgrading the speeds involves the ISP to invest in more equipment, and I hear tell that stuff doesn't go for cheap.

Also, I know that some areas are not practical to run fiber. A lot of places, with weather and the elements and whatnot else, experience cable cuts. It is possible to splice copper at the cut site, but I believe that with fiber optic cable you would have to re-run the entire section from where it connects to nodes at each end.

how correct you are.  fiber has to be ran underground in order to survive the elements.  at least that is what they are teachin me.  and ofcourse if the isps do decide to upgrade to docsis 3.0 theyll have to upgrade all their equipment.  which is aways away.  there isnt many 2.0 networks.  most are 1.0/1.1 hybrids.  so 3.0 is pushing it.  its aways off.  but, if fios continues to tear thru the us it will most certainly caus many isps to have to upgrade to compete.  this is good.  it is also the american way.  competition promotes growth.  it is the sole beneficiary of technology in the first place.  without any competition there would be no need to advance.  actually as far as the hubs, a network operates on the principle that not everyone is going to be online at once and also that not every customer will be using a high amount of bandwidth.  as soon as i finish school im looking into wirless isp.  i believe it is the future of everything.  id like to start a small company and provide internet in areas where it was not possible before.  this is very possible, but expensive.  i already have a mini isp for a project.  usin multiple n routers as access points with a homemade antenna i solderd onto the boards.  i can detect and successfully connect to my network 2 miles away.  its pretty cool actually.

yes it has oc-12 capabilites which is theoretically 600Mbps.  but just about all cable comps use fiber backbones.  whats interesting is that fiber doesnt transfer photons faster than copper transfers electrons...  they both transmit at roughly the speed of light.  difference is fiber is impervious to electromagnetic interference and other transport interferences.  not comparin fiber, comparing dsl and cable.  fios is the fastest dsl available.  and optimum online is the fastest cable net.  fios ofcourse blows optimum away.  i was speakin of the future of broadband.  just what eventually its leading to.  and yes it is very possible in the real world for 160/120.  im on a docsis 1.0 net and i receive all of my maximum potential which 38/30.  and my buddy on optimum gets 30/30 on his 2.0 net.  so what exactly makes u think that its not possible in the real world.  there are aproximately 46,478 cable internet subscribers on my net segment.  and at any given time from a dedicated server a max my potential.  this is merely discussion and not tryin to irratate anyone.  id really like to get some intelligent insight and opinions.

Only one thing to point out....there are not 46,478 subs on your cable segment.  Not sure who gave you that information....but it's highly flawed or your cable company doesn't know how to run their network.

as soon as i finish school im looking into wirless isp. i believe it is the future of everything. id like to start a small company and provide internet in areas where it was not possible before. this is very possible, but expensive. i already have a mini isp for a project. usin multiple n routers as access points with a homemade antenna i solderd onto the boards. i can detect and successfully connect to my network 2 miles away. its pretty cool actually.

That is an interesting idea. However, it would be most practical to set up a MAN (Metropolitan Area Network), but I would suppose that these areas already have high-speed data. Otherwise, when you say "id like to start a small company and provide internet in areas where it was not possible before" I can only assume that you must mean rural areas. It would be hard to make ends meet, economically, with such a low residential density in these areas, no?

You would also have to calculate the effects of weather on signal strength, and space the nodes out accordingly.

Also, since I believe that you mean to use the routers as a chain of nodes, you would need to consider that a break in the chain means that everybody after that point would not have an Internet connection.  You would need some fault tolerance/redundancy measures to avoid outage, either when a node goes down unexpectantly, or when maintenance is required.

Only one thing to point out....there are not 46,478 subs on your cable segment. Not sure who gave you that information....but it's highly flawed or your cable company doesn't know how to run their network.

Yes, that is one monster network segment.

I am in phoenix and this really rocks.  I download large files soooo fast.

Download Connection is:: 12402 Kbps about 12.4 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1514 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 1116 Kbps about 1.1 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 136 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/10/18 - 3:40pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-NMCOF4TKZ

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-2C7K6E9PN

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7 [!]

I am in phoenix and this really rocks.  I download large files soooo fast.

Download Connection is:: 12402 Kbps about 12.4 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1514 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 1116 Kbps about 1.1 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 136 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/10/18 - 3:40pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-NMCOF4TKZ

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-2C7K6E9PN

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7 [!]

nice  :D