• west coast
    • non united states server
    • all three

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well as soon as the site gets to the point where I need one more server I will have one east and one west.

Right now though I am good for a few more months, but that is deffinitly in my plans... because with the amount of bandwidth I suck up so you guys can test your bandwidth is VERY high ;-)

International server... maybe one day.. one step at a time guys ;-)

~~~~~

But this server... as you might have read is on a killer network... so you all should enjoy very decent test scores... (good, strong, big names in bandwidth providers = no little guys in the middle what crap networks (because big guys... well, have badass networks) = less latency = better test)

As for the comment on the "OC3 minimum line" ~~~ let me just give you a snap shot of the backbone I am on :) ~~~

Current Internet Backbone Carriers - 10Gbps Total

Verio - 1 x GigE Connection (1000Mbps)

Sprint - 1 x GigE Connection (1000Mbps)

Level 3 - 1 x GigE Connection (1000Mbps)

Abovenet - 2 x GigE Connection (2000Mbps)

MCI / UUNET - 1 x GigE Connection (1000Mbps)

Global Crossing - 1 x GigE Connection (1000Mbps)

Allegiance Telecom - 2 x GigE Connection (2000Mbps)

Time Warner Telecom - 1 x GigE Connection (1000Mbps)

Building Fiber

SBC - OC48 SONET Ring

MCI / UUNet - OC48 SONET Ring

XO Communications - OC48 SONET Ring

Time Warner Telecom - OC48 SONET Ring

Looking Glass Networks - multiple - OC48 SONET Rings

A lot of you guys may see your actual ISP as one of the MANY bandwidh providers that links to my server... great for you because that will lower your latency even more :)

Trust me... I go shopping when I get a server :)

~~~~~~~

BUUUUT, on to you ICE. You may get scores elsewhere that will show your score higher... and you may download a file at what seems like faster than you score here. Reason being is burst... if you can show me a screenshot of a 100 MB file that you sustained at 4.5 Mbit I will recode my entire site :) ~ the reason you get a lower score here is because (and I have told you this before) TestMy.net does not bullshit with you about your test score... TestMy.net ALSO does not use little dinky test files... and TestMy.net has built in technology to display more accurate scores minus the burstable speed you get when you initiate a connection to download a file ~~~~~~ You are after all here you see what speed your connection is right? Well, everywhere else you are most likely seeing just what your connection can burst at... not a good thing to lie to yourself ;-) ~ TestMy.net isn't going to lie to you ;-)

I have been developing this site for a long time, and take pride in the accuracy of my tests... if you feel that your scores are off, let me know and I will look into the matter... I have found errors in my code thanks to user feedback... but most of the time it is either a problem on your end, a problem with your providers connection or just a misunderstanding of the speed that you actually have.... not just what your ISP wants you to think :)

- Damon

Well as soon as the site gets to the point where I need one more server I will have one east and one west.

Right now though I am good for a few more months, but that is deffinitly in my plans... because with the amount of bandwidth I suck up so you guys can test your bandwidth is VERY high ;-)

~~~~~

But this server... as you might have read is on a killer network... so you all should enjoy very decent test scores... (good, strong, big names in bandwidth providers = no little guys in the middle what crap networks (because big guys... well, have badass networks) = less latency = better test)

As for the comment on the "OC3 minimum line" ~~~ let me just give you a snap shot of the backbone I am on :) ~~~

Building Fiber

SBC - OC48 SONET Ring

A lot of you guys may see your actual ISP as one of the MANY bandwidh providers that links to my server... great for you because that will lower your latency even more :)

~~~~~~~

BUUUUT, on to you ICE. You may get scores elsewhere that will show your score higher... and you may download a file at what seems like faster than you score here. Reason being is burst... if you can show me a screenshot of a 100 MB file that you sustained at 4.5 Mbit I will recode my entire site :) ~ the reason you get a lower score here is because (and I have told you this before) TestMy.net does not bullshit with you about your test score... TestMy.net ALSO does not use little dinky test files... and TestMy.net has built in technology to display more accurate scores minus the burstable speed you get when you initiate a connection to download a file ~~~~~~ You are after all here you see what speed your connection is right? Well, everywhere else you are most likely seeing just what your connection can burst at... not a good thing to lie to yourself ;-) ~ TestMy.net isn't going to lie to you ;-)

I have been developing this site for a long time, and take pride in the accuracy of my tests... if you feel that your scores are off, let me know and I will look into the matter... I have found errors in my code thanks to user feedback... but most of the time it is either a problem on your end, a problem with your providers connection or just a misunderstanding of the speed that you actually have.... not just what your ISP wants you to think :)

- Damon

~~~~~

Building Fiber

SBC - OC48 SONET Ring

~~~~~~~

- Damon

Definatly :shock:

But it still doesn't explain how Chello (UPC, The Netherlands) can maintain such a high speed overseas. I know I'm lucky, but I just have to know :)

Out of 1500 kbps I get speeds like these:

::: Download Stats :::

Connection is: 313 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 1013 KB)

Download Speed is: 38 KB/sec

Auth Code: 2004696 (validate a http://www.testmy.net)

Bottom Line: 6 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 26.95 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check.cgi?ta=&top=&align=&num=2004696&kbps=313&gen=gen&a=10.2857142857143&b=1.14285714285714&c=1145.14285714286

:oops: Never mind, here's an older one:

Connection is: 1371 Kbps about 1 Mbps (tested with 579 KB)

Download Speed is: 167 KB/sec

Auth Code: 2020566 (validate a http://www.testmy.net)

Bottom Line: 24 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 6 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check.cgi?num=2020566&Kbps=1371&gen=gen&a=1.71428571428571&b=0&c=1145.14285714286

It's accurate enough for what speeds I really get.

And I still don't know what's wrong with my upload. :x

But it still doesn't explain how Chello (UPC, The Netherlands) can maintain such a high speed overseas. I know I'm lucky, but I just have to know :)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check.cgi?ta=&top=&align=&num=2004696&kbps=313&gen=gen&a=10.2857142857143&b=1.14285714285714&c=1145.14285714286

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check.cgi?num=2020566&Kbps=1371&gen=gen&a=1.71428571428571&b=0&c=1145.14285714286

~~~~~

Building Fiber

SBC - OC48 SONET Ring

~~~~~~~

- Damon

You mean just a screenshot of around 100MB, with about 560KB/s? I can do that no problem, I am downloading 540MB right now.

Also, DSLreports does not use dinky test files either. Not to stir anything up because I know they are a competitor, but I am just saying. My downstream takes at least 6-7 seconds when testing there, and I get 4500 there. I'll have the screen for you if thats what you mean in a minute.

~~~~~

Building Fiber

SBC - OC48 SONET Ring

~~~~~~~

- Damon

You mean just a screenshot of around 100MB, with about 560KB/s? I can do that no problem, I am downloading 540MB right now.

Also, DSLreports does not use dinky test files either. Not to stir anything up because I know they are a competitor, but I am just saying. My downstream takes at least 6-7 seconds when testing there, and I get 4500 there. I'll have the screen for you if thats what you mean in a minute.

~~~~~

Building Fiber

SBC - OC48 SONET Ring

~~~~~~~

- Damon

Hey ice you will always get different results from different speed test sites because that is just the way the internet is set up and how it works. I have tested at 5500kbps here at testmy.net but the highest I ever tested with a Mcafee speed test site is 2Mbps. Quite a difference! Also the CNET bandwidth test site only gives me a 2900kbps reading constantly but I know I am going faster than that. It also has to do a lot with what type of data they are using to test your speed with. So even from the reliable test sites that I frequent I get a 3.5Mbps difference in speeds. I obviously look at the higher one!!! :D