Question(s) about backing up!

ratchet

This past week I deleted some leftover OpenOffice.org files which apparently were also shared with files associated with internet access (Windows warned me but sometimes I'm a 58 yr. old idiot). I could not restore the corrupted shell because I had XP Restore set to only use 1% (on an 80G HD - idiot again!). Unlocker was already programed to delete on reboot on the one restore point I had, so it would only restore with the missing files (at least I think that is what was happening). I ended up saving files like addresses, bookmarks, etc. but lost all my programs and had to reinstall XP. I'm reasonably sure programs like Norton Go Back would have saved me much like XP Restore would have but I was wondering, can you store your entire operating system, files and programs on an external hard drive and then just reload the whole thing without losing a thing?

I am running Xp pro and use auto system recovery , updated every month , this works well for me, but at the end of the day , a new install from time to time is IMHO not such a bad thing,  so any back up has got to be good, most people only  think of that 10 mins after the problem has struck  :lol:

also a partitioned hard drive, or even better a second hard drive is a must for me , after a clean install and driver, antvirus etc. update ,I make a ASR back up, and save as my first ASR backup,   

This past week I deleted some leftover OpenOffice.org files which apparently were also shared with files associated with internet access (Windows warned me but sometimes I'm a 58 yr. old idiot). I could not restore the corrupted shell because I had XP Restore set to only use 1% (on an 80G HD - idiot again!). Unlocker was already programed to delete on reboot on the one restore point I had, so it would only restore with the missing files (at least I think that is what was happening). I ended up saving files like addresses, bookmarks, etc. but lost all my programs and had to reinstall XP. I'm reasonably sure programs like Norton Go Back would have saved me much like XP Restore would have but I was wondering, can you store your entire operating system, files and programs on an external hard drive and then just reload the whole thing without losing a thing?

Yes you can and I would recommend it. I make a image of my HD and transfer it to my external so I always have a quick fresh install. I forgot what program I use, I will look. BTW your story was funny as hell, in a tragic way.  :haha:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7832599&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat33200050002&id=1142296200334 New drives like this have a single button backup that is nice. I have one I installed at work and it works great. I cant find a link to it though. Ill keep looking.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/ Programs like this make it EASY to back up your whole hdd including the OS. I cant imagine why you wouldnt want it, it works great and is SO much faster to restore than a clean install. I do a clean install, then add all my programs then make a image so I know there is no spyware shit on there. Good luck, PM me if you need anymore help.  :D

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/ Programs like this make it EASY to back up your whole hdd including the OS. I cant imagine why you wouldnt want it, it works great and is SO much faster to restore than a clean install. I do a clean install, then add all my programs then make a image so I know there is no spyware shit on there. Good luck, PM me if you need anymore help.  :D

I agree with your way of backing up Shug7272.

I Use Paragon Hard Disk Manager and it does wonders.  It backs up an image of your HDD/Partition to CD or to a second HDD  It formats and also wipes the HDD Clean. I been using this app for two years  and I'm happy with it.

BTW It works faster than Norton's Ghost.