Toshiba M400 tablet -- issues running networked software!

cmancool4

I just recently received a Toshiba Portege Tablet (M400) from my company and I am having some issues with it.

I have been running software off the server and everything is running sooooo slow.  There's a 3 - 4 second delay time from when you hit a button till it actually takes effect.  This only happens when connected wirelessly to the network.

The previous laptop that I was using (Dell PP11L) also wirelessly does not have this issue at all.  All the networked software runs the same whether wired or wirelessly.

The only information I was able to figure out using a bandwidth monitor was that the toshiba was constantly receiving information through the wireless adapter at it's maximum rate where the Dell does not have nearly the same amount of data transfer as the toshiba, but yet is actually running faster.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen the same issues and possibly have a fix for it?  Thank you.

Actually, my signal is always excellent.  The access point is in the same room as I am.  This is a problem with all the M400's on our network here.

****Interesting test...I just hooked the machine up to the network using a network cable rather than the wireless.  There is still a delay.  The computer wants to constantly receive data from the server when doing anything with a server application.  This type of connection has a faster data rate than the wireless, but my old laptop does not have any delay at all and this is when it is wireless....it's really odd!

What type of application is this??  I am wondering if it has something to do with the tablet version of XP.. with all of the additional overhead associated with the tablet stuff..  Let me look into it..  I know that most of the IT guys I know run external wifi cards instead of internal ones on their tablets for some reason..

Thanks for looking into swimmer.  The tablet is running the Tablet version of XP and the problem appears to both the wired and wireless connections...it's just not as noticable on the wired because of the faster data-transfer that can be aquired.

It does not occur when running programs locally from the machine, only when running the software that is run from the server.

Maybe it could be the version of XP...maybe vista would help since I believe that the new version of windows is tablet friendly, but I have not looked into this version as of yet.

I have not really found any one thing...  There are some cards that caused the slow down that you are experiening.. but they are not part of the line of tablets you are using.. 

If you are using the intel based wifi cards try upgrading using the Intel driver not the toshiba ones..

The search continues..

I just recently received a Toshiba Portege Tablet (M400) from my company and I am having some issues with it.

I have been running software off the server and everything is running sooooo slow.  There's a 3 - 4 second delay time from when you hit a button till it actually takes effect.  This only happens when connected wirelessly to the network.

The previous laptop that I was using (Dell PP11L) also wirelessly does not have this issue at all.  All the networked software runs the same whether wired or wirelessly.

The only information I was able to figure out using a bandwidth monitor was that the toshiba was constantly receiving information through the wireless adapter at it's maximum rate where the Dell does not have nearly the same amount of data transfer as the toshiba, but yet is actually running faster.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen the same issues and possibly have a fix for it?  Thank you.

One thing you have not mentioned is what the company software application is that uses the tablet pc.  This is a highly specialized device and chances are there are some pretty hefty applications running which may be causing the problems you describe.  If you could give us more information about what your IT department has loaded on them and what is currently running along with process information that would help much.

The network software that is being used is educational based.

Integrade Pro

Sasi

Geometer's Sketchpad

Fathom.

These are all the programs that I use from the network and none of them run without delay when using these tablets.

One of these days I am going to be able to read a post without missing key information.....grrr....okay I totally missed the server software in your first post.  Lets talk a little about which server software and lets just assume that it's Microsoft based and current which means it can be installed and operated in many different ways.  By default (correct me if I'm wrong), Microsoft's install will literally install and operate virtually all services which is bad....how did you install it and with what I guess is the next question...and if you have already given this information...sorry for making you repeat it.

Actually, the problem has been solved!  The factory image on the hard drive of the Toshiba Tablets are faulty.  They have issues when connected to a network.

They finally sent a new image of Windows XP Tablet edition and it works great now.  Just a little word to the wise when choosing a Tablet!