70 kb/s down, 10 kb/s up, anyone help?

dapaintballer331

I've have verizon dsl, and I have for a few years.

I use Washington DC's verizon servers, however im about 10 miles south of that.

Anyways, its not a spyware problem, trust me. I have linux and windows, and both get the same speed, so it must be a modem or mabey phone tweak needed to get me up to speed.

I read the STOP! sticky and a similar thread. What could I use to get my download speed over 70-80 kb/s and upload over 10 kb/s?

Windows or linux tools work, however I don't think its only an os tweak I need.

My computer>(ethernet cable, not usb :) )>router>fujitsu modem>verizon

same speed without using router

Verizon advertises 768 kb/s in my area, which my cox neighbors get.

Info:

Browser/OS = Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060425 SUSE/1.5.0.3-7 Firefox/1.5.0.3

Notes: Read the Analyzer FAQ if the above is not your IP address.

TCP options string = 020405b40402080a001bd7100000000001030302

MTU = 1500

MTU is fully optimized for broadband.

MSS = 1460

Maximum useful data in each packet = 1448, which is less than MSS because of Timestamps, or other TCP/IP options used.

Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 5840

RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 2 bits (scale factor of 4)

Unscaled TCP Receive Window = 1460

RWIN seems to be set to a very small number. If you're on a broadband connection, consider using a larger value.

RWIN is a multiple of MSS

Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:

513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)

256960 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)

128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)

64240 (MSS x 44)

bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your TCP Window limits you to: 233.6 kbps (29.2 KBytes/s) @ 200ms

Your TCP Window limits you to: 93.44 kbps (11.68 KBytes/s) @ 500ms

Consider increasing your RWIN value to optimize TCP/IP for broadband.

MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON

Time to live left = 59 hops

TTL value is ok.

Timestamps (RFC1323) = ON

Note: Timestamps add 12 bytes to the TCP header of each packet, reducing the space available for useful data.

Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON

IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000 (0)

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 690 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 84 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/10/12 - 9:20pm

Bottom Line:: 12X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 12.19 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 12.04 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 11 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-WA140OCLH

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060425 SUSE/1.5.0.3-7 Firefox/1.5.0.3 [!]

I unplug my router and modem frequently since about 1ce a month one of those two stop working, so I just unplug for mabey 30 mins if TV distracts me, then plug back in.

...no spyware...

...linux doesn't get visuses.... windows had nod32 and is clean.......

...primarily use linux so windows updates are irrelevant... (suse linux 10.1 btw)

Would cablenut help when Im on linux? Sure I can boot into windows, run it and w/e, but would it still have effect while im on linux? Should I still run it, etc in windows? I don't know too much about this, but I don't THINK its really a registry problem if thats what it fixes, but if it fixes the modem is it good to use?

How can I dl over 80 kb/s?  :icon_pale:

Well ive had them for years, and its funny how cox next door gets 650+ kb/s, while I can only get 80, which for someone who (tries) to download a lot of stuff, its hard. I called them and no higher plan is available in my area. I was paying $40 for the low plan, but then they said "since its only $17 now for the lowest plan I can save you money", which they did, but I'd rather keep paying $40 a month and get real internet.

I really don't want cox, since my computer room isn't wired so we'd either need a lot of that or go 100% wireless which I don't want.

I read it earlier but figured you almost had your answer already.

OK, you are on DSL and trying to figure out why you can not reach cable speeds like your neighbor.

The way I understand it DSL will not usually reach the advertised speeds. And cable will usually reach beyond the advertised speeds quite often.

2 different animals.  Any other questions, or maybe you could word it differently so maybe I would understand it different.  :D

So why not try tweaking it then?

No matter what someone else told me I would always try to tweak myself.

I need speed. Of course I also know when to stop.

If cable nut appears tough to navigate through, try the TCP Optimizer.

It requires no CCS files. Just set the dial and let it go.

Some folks find it faster anyhow. I know it makes mine faster than cablenut can. And if it does not improve it much, you are not out countless tries to get it just right. I would set the speed dial at 1000 and let it roll.

Let me know how it turns out.  :D

And what ever you do, do not forget to back up your present settings, so all you have to do is reset it and you are back where you started.

In Kansas with Toto.  :) Just kidding.  ;)

I also have the Verizon 768/128 plan and those are about the speeds I get as well. You may be able to squeeze a little more speed with tweaks but not much.

Ps. Cox cable internet (or any cable internet) is a totally different type of technology, thats why there speeds are so much higher. But for $14.95 or whatever it is for the 768/128 its a great deal, better then what tommie is paying for Direcway or Hughsnet whatever the hell there called now  :haha:

dapaintballer33 if you are looking for a tech answer, I am always out of them.

But I believe it changes the registry to speed things up a bit, and quite a bit sometimes. I am actually on a 500/50 setup for $59.95. And I would gladly trade you for you 768/128 for $14.95.  :D Damned skippy.

DIrecway sucks, unless you hate dial-up, like me.  :thumbsup:

Let me know when you decide to trade, just PM me.  ;)