I need serious help with my media com 10 mb connection. It's running at 1.4 mbs

asrabbit91

Ok, I have media com, and just got a new modem dcm315 is the model I just got it a few months ago. It was running fine at first. Than like a few days ago I started getting some way lower speeds. It's smaller than when I had my 5 mb package. The best test i've gotten on here lately is this

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 2728 Kbps about 2.73 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 333 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 308 Kbps about 0.31 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 38 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/10/16 - 5:19pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-61Z8M7YI4

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-N6ZIDR3QF

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [!]

Also when I reset my modem half the time 3 lights just blink for along time. Is my model that good? What could be the problem? This is getting pretty rediculous. I have also called them twice this months already. Once because my speeds was running at 1.7 on my 5 mb connection. The next time because it was still running slow. Anyone else have trouble with media com. I also just got this modem like 2 weeks ago. It's bs paying so much and getting nothing. Laggy online games and stuff. Also my parents don't really care as i'm 17 and won't really call them up again. And are getting mad at me for resetting it if it's going slow.

What do you mean tweeking? It's freaking pathetic though, when I upgraded my speed they thought they had to have some guy come and do it. I don't think iv'e been getting very good rep support. They said i had a high node problem and it would run at like 6 mbs per second. 2 weeks ago they also told me the high node problem would be fixed in like 2 days because they were splitting it(I was on same was a college) They were telling me the same damn thing 2 months ago though so who knows. I've had a lot of problems with media com, but my dad says he don't care as long as it works, but it sucks to not be able to play xbox live smoothly when its like a 50 dollar connection. 10 mbs 1 up

Ok, I have media com, and just got a new modem dcm315 is the model I just got it a few months ago. It was running fine at first. Than like a few days ago I started getting some way lower speeds. It's smaller than when I had my 5 mb package. The best test i've gotten on here lately is this

::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 2728 Kbps about 2.73 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 333 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 308 Kbps about 0.31 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 38 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/10/16 - 5:19pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-61Z8M7YI4

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-N6ZIDR3QF

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Also when I reset my modem half the time 3 lights just blink for along time. Is my model that good? What could be the problem? This is getting pretty rediculous. I have also called them twice this months already. Once because my speeds was running at 1.7 on my 5 mb connection. The next time because it was still running slow. Anyone else have trouble with media com. I also just got this modem like 2 weeks ago. It's bs paying so much and getting nothing. Laggy online games and stuff. Also my parents don't really care as i'm 17 and won't really call them up again. And are getting mad at me for resetting it if it's going slow.

Does your modem have diagnostics that you can run...I need the following information:

Receive Power

Receive SNR

P-ADJ

Flaps

Downstream Power

Upstream Power

If you can't get them from your modem directly, call your ISP and have them give this info to you and then post it here and I will tell ya what's up.

I believe you can access the diagnostics page for the DCM315 by typing 192.168.100.1 in the address bar of your browser. Have a look for the signals that ISPgeek suggested above.

<hr>

Do you have a router?

<hr>

You can try some ICMP tests. These are done from the command prompt. To get there:

-click Start

-click Run

-type cmd and click ok

From the command prompt you can try a ping and a traceroute:

Ping:

-type ping -n 50 testmy.net

-hit enter

-copy and paste the 'Ping Statistics' section here

Traceroute:

-type tracert -d testmy.net

-hit enter

-copy and paste the entire traceroute results here

To copy from the command prompt:

-right-click in the command prompt window

-choose mark

-click and drag the cursor over an area to highlight it

-hit enter to copy to system clipboard

the best way to find out is ofcourse thru the modems internal web server which is located at the above address, you can also use docsdiag which should be able to tell you your snr, powerlevel, ds frequency, qam, and anything else u could possibly want to know.  once u find this info.  ill give u an example of what a functional modems info should look like then explain it.

downstream

Frequency 735000000 Hz  Locked

Signal to Noise Ratio 36 d

QAM 256

Network Access Control Object ON

Power Level -5 dBmV

upstream

HFC MAC Address 00:0x:9x:11:0x:Ax

Channel ID 3

Frequency 23984000 Hz  Ranged

Ranging Service ID 3518

Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s

Power Level 41 dBmV

ur ds frequency should always be locked, ur signal to noise ratio should be between 31-37 for optimal performance, ur ds powerlevel should be between -12 and 12 for optimal performance.

the only thing u should be worried about as far as upstream is the powerlevel.  it should be between 32-48.

• 3 weeks later...

I had that same problem, I got my internet cut off for like a month and when I returned to Comcast they gave me that modem, that Night I tested my speed and it was pathetic,  I was getting %7 of my advertised speed I took it back and got my old Motorola Sb520, and low and be hold the problem was solved, so my advice take it back and say my comp is having issues with this modem I would like a different one.

we don't have the exact same model but both are RCA.

I even made a topic about it.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-16738

my conclusion the RCA dcm modems suck.

I had that same problem, I got my internet cut off for like a month and when I returned to Comcast they gave me that modem, that Night I tested my speed and it was pathetic,  I was getting %7 of my advertised speed I took it back and got my old Motorola Sb520, and low and be hold the problem was solved, so my advice take it back and say my comp is having issues with this modem I would like a different one.

we don't have the exact same model but both are RCA.

I even made a topic about it.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-16738

my conclusion the RCA dcm modems suck.

I haven't had a problem with my DCM425 in the year that I've had it.  Always on, always quick.