Neighbor Stealing Internet

Sparticus

Knock on his door and when he answers sock him right in the nose.  and while he's knocked out that's when you take his wallet.  Make sure you only take just enough money to cover half the internet... and leave him a note in his wallet that says "thanks for covering half the internet this month.. I'll see you around the first next month to collect again."  - - - I would imagine that would help him see the value in getting his own connection :-P

[/html]

You know you want to do it  :-P -- and you know that shit would be just about the funniest thing you could ever do.. :evil6: - to add to the fun you could make sure you do it all in front of one or more of the guys friends or his girlfriend, that ensures a thorough PUNK.. lol

... I have an idea to make sure he stays off your connection!!!! It may very well be the greatest plan ever devised by anyone... EVER! ... ever!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should run a TeamSpeak server off one of these open wifi connections.  ;)

The wireless access points that are open with no port forwarding pose a problem. You can not run services on any ports. You can create SSH Tunneling to another connection to try to keep your traffic from being sniffed. Atleast they won't be able to see what you are chatting about, posting to forums, etc.. SSH isn't exactly a sure win, they still can log the data and try to extract the encrypted data later.

By not having WEP enabled you leave your wifi device open to brute-force attacks on the main password on the router. Unless the user, ignorantly didn't set a password at all, and left it default. The brute-force method does dictionary style log-in attempts to the device, trying to guess the main password of the admin account to the router. Some routers are easier than others. It is a mistake setting your WEP key name as the main admin password on the router.  WEP isn't anything uniquely special in terms of Security. ARP Redirection is another problem once they gain access to the network. Wireless has to many flaws...

So best bet just leave it WIDE OPEN, or WEP the device. I do both.. Limit port forwarding, create a dummy-ip that isn't on your network and forward everything to it (DMZ). Use SSH Tunneling, then proxy your data. So no one can really sniff, or inject packets. Atleast they won't be able to have server run applications on their end, because of the limitations on the ports. Only be able to recieve info, and not really be able to broadcast data with video streams, audio streams, ftp, web, torrents, etc.

Kismet is a great application for watching wifi data, but then again you have to know what you are doing with linux. Backtrack is another good penetration testing distro, to see if your network is vulnerable to attacks. Believe kismet is part of that distro, just have to find a good wifi-card that is compatible with the linux distro. Slackware is fairly forgiving if you ask me.

There are many methods for Securing WiFi - but some are not for the average user. The old standards, Breezenet Equipment which uses FHSS ( Frequency Hop Spread Spectrum ) could be the best compared to these newer devices that are out on the market today. They only go up to 1mbit in speeds, but you can't view the device via typical scanning software like netstumbler. This method is what the government uses for deploying networks, so best bet you want your data secure? Use FHSS devices, easily be found on eBay.

The newer FHSS devices that are around today, couldn't be cracked with all the supercomputers in the world. They were saying it would take until the Sun burnt out before they could even determine which packets were what. They even inject dummy packets, fake data, which makes it even harder to crack. Those are the standards which the Government uses, virtually unbreakable in terms of cracking, or sniffing packets.

Food for the Thought Process - - VyraX - -

<h2>... I have an idea to make sure he stays off your connection!!!!  It may very well be the greatest plan ever devised by anyone... EVER!  ... ever!</h2><div class="div003"> Knock on his door and when he answers sock him right in the nose.  and while he's knocked out that's when you take his wallet.  Make sure you only take just enough money to cover half the internet... and leave him a note in his wallet that says "thanks for covering half the internet this month.. I'll see you around the first next month to collect again."  - - - I would imagine that would help him see the value in getting his own connection :-P

</div>

You know you want to do it  :-P -- and you know that shit would be just about the funniest thing you could ever do.. :evil6: - to add to the fun you could make sure you do it all in front of one or more of the guys friends or his girlfriend, that ensures a thorough PUNK.. lol

:haha: :haha: What if his neighbor is a Cage Fighter, your gonna get his ass whipped.  :evil6: :evil6:

• 1 year later...

i didnt know mac filters could be spoofed. can anyone elaborate on that? thats a security risk id like to know more about, as i use it as one of the primary defenses in my network. also, can you get mcafee wireless protection suite as a standalone product?

ev

MAC addresses can be spoofed.  However, it's not really much of a threat, as the wireless pirate would need to know the MAC to begin with in order to infiltrate your filter.  This would require a fair bit of homework and investigating, and probably means that they have also gained admin access to your router.  Unless you've really pissed one of your neighbour's off, I'd say this is an unlikely attack.  If you believe you've been victimized by something like this, I'd recommend setting up a strong WEP or turning off your wireless and switching to wired for a while.  A fine step to go along with MAC filter is to disable your SSID broadcast.

MAC addresses can be spoofed.  However, it's not really much of a threat, as the wireless pirate would need to know the MAC to begin with in order to infiltrate your filter.  This would require a fair bit of homework and investigating, and probably means that they have also gained admin access to your router.  Unless you've really pissed one of your neighbour's off, I'd say this is an unlikely attack.  If you believe you've been victimized by something like this, I'd recommend setting up a strong WEP or turning off your wireless and switching to wired for a while.  A fine step to go along with MAC filter is to disable your SSID broadcast.

Actually with programs like kismac, and a few others that i will not mention. its extremely easy.

WEP is a joke, it can be broken in less then 10 minutes. WPA is what you want to use.

Turning off SSID broadcast doesn't make you any more secure because programs like kismac find it instantly.

All you need is a good strong WPA password. Anything else can be broken extremely easily with just one or two programs.

i beleive in defense in depth. i have it set so only the mac addresses of the puters on the network will be accepted.

i have WPA2 Corporate, enabled, with a pretty big and very random key.

Got the NAT firewall setup, too.

also got SSID turned off.

All sensitive data that goes through the network here at home gets passed in an encrypted form. Im a big fan of PGP.

I think thats a good start. if anyone has any other ideas, shoot. also, thank you for the information on the Mac address spoofing. didnt realize you could do that. thank you all for the heads up. this has definitely been an interesting thread. i like the debate thats gone on in this thread, i think its important to discuss this, even this passionately, and all ideas this way. its healthy and we all benefit from it. thanks, all.

ev

i didnt know mac filters could be spoofed. can anyone elaborate on that? thats a security risk id like to know more about, as i use it as one of the primary defenses in my network. also, can you get mcafee wireless protection suite as a standalone product?

ev

while the MAC is usually hardcoded most devices can be made to use a MAC address of your own choosing. so if you know tha MAC address of a permitted device you can assign that to yourself to confuzzle the router.

i beleive in defense in depth. i have it set so only the mac addresses of the puters on the network will be accepted.

i have WPA2 Corporate, enabled, with a pretty big and very random key.

Got the NAT firewall setup, too.

also got SSID turned off.

All sensitive data that goes through the network here at home gets passed in an encrypted form. Im a big fan of PGP.

I think thats a good start. if anyone has any other ideas, shoot. also, thank you for the information on the Mac address spoofing. didnt realize you could do that. thank you all for the heads up. this has definitely been an interesting thread. i like the debate thats gone on in this thread, i think its important to discuss this, even this passionately, and all ideas this way. its healthy and we all benefit from it. thanks, all.

ev

All of those can be broken with in just a few minutes except wpa2 with 1 program. There is no point in turing on mac filtering, and ssid broadcast off, its old and doesn't work anymore, those options shouldn't even be in routers anymore, they give a false since of security. The only way to stop someone from coming in your network is use WPA.

WPA can be beaten fairly easy as well:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/32070.html

http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/bt-home-flub-pwnin-the-bt-home-hub

http://www.crn.com/security/18824216

http://www.wifinetnews.com/archives/002453.html

There are other protocols and security measures out there (ie. 802.11i) to patch up some of the holes.  The trouble is that there are always people finding more flaws.  Your best bet, do a combination of the security measures at your disposal.  And be smart!

WPA can be beaten fairly easy as well:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/32070.html

http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/bt-home-flub-pwnin-the-bt-home-hub

http://www.crn.com/security/18824216

http://www.wifinetnews.com/archives/002453.html

There are other protocols and security measures out there (ie. 802.11i) to patch up some of the holes.  The trouble is that there are always people finding more flaws.  Your best bet, do a combination of the security measures at your disposal.  And be smart!

fixed in WPA2. They all can be beaten. WAP just takes a very long time. It takes even longer then what WEP use to take 5 years ago. I tried to break it at work with our own network, and after 2 weeks, and over 1.5 billion captured packets I couldn't break it.

fixed in WPA2. They all can be beaten. WAP just takes a very long time. It takes even longer then what WEP use to take 5 years ago. I tried to break it at work with our own network, and after 2 weeks, and over 1.5 billion captured packets I couldn't break it.

Well then, that's good news  :grin:

DLEWIS is right. WPA can be broken in a few hours or so, and WEP just in a few seconds.  Most of the time, someone trying to break into your wireless wouldn't have time to break WPA2, even if they could.  At home anyways.....

MAC filter, SSID no broadcast, WEP, and WPA are all pretty much useless against someone actually trying to hack your wireless.  They can however be useful just trying to stop your unknowledgable neighbor, but if you can use WPA2, there isn't a reason not to....