Computer Restarting

igarek77

Hey Guys

Have this problem that got me stumped, :-| can't figure it out at the moment, thought I'd ask you all. Here's the deal. I downloaded a couple of programs from a motomodders forum & installed them so I can work with my phone, and modify it how I want to, after I was done working with the programs, I shut off my PC. Next day I try to turn on my PC, it goes through it's normal boot up, and then all of a sudden restarts in the middle of loading @ the Windows boot up screen. I tried to get into safe mode, and after half of the drivers are loaded, the PC restarts itself in the middle of everything, and it's like a never ending cycle. When the PC restarts, all 3 lights for CAPS LOCK, NUM LOCK & SCROLL LOCK light up very fast and turn off and that's when the PC restarts, also the hard drive makes this faint tick before it restarts.Sorry for the long message, wanted to give as much detail as possible. Please let me know if anymore details are needed.

PC Specs:

P4HT 2.8GHz

1GB RAM

HP Pavilion a350n

Thanks A LOT!!!

Thanks for the replies.

php: I know that the light flashing is normal, I just thought I'd point it out because it does the same thing over and over in a circle.

dlewis23: I do have a recovery console built into the hard drive, there's a partition for it, I tried doing that, and it does recover, and I can get back after that only 1 (one) time. After that it's the same thing over and over again, I have to do recovery again to get into the PC only once. Is there any other way to do this besides the CD? I don't have the disk, it never came with the PC.

Thanks!

oKA

Thanks for the replies.

php: I know that the light flashing is normal, I just thought I'd point it out because it does the same thing over and over in a circle.

dlewis23: I do have a recovery console built into the hard drive, there's a partition for it, I tried doing that, and it does recover, and I can get back after that only 1 (one) time. After that it's the same thing over and over again, I have to do recovery again to get into the PC only once. Is there any other way to do this besides the CD? I don't have the disk, it never came with the PC.

Thanks!

Okay...are you able to boot in safe mode (pardon the question if its been asked)....if so...go into safe mode and remove the programs you just installed and then reboot....my hunch is that the phone proggie yer talkin about is using severely misbehaving USB drivers.....but until you respond back its only a hunch...

Update: I see you have tried to get into safe mode without success...okay...what version of windows...and lemme do some research on somethin...

ISPgeek  thanks for the reply. Yeah I haven't been able to get in safe mode. But I also believe that it's the USB drivers, because I had to update the USB drivers for the PC to recognize the phone. I'm trying to figure out how to fix that situtation with the USB's...

I have Win XP.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks!

ok well since you can get into windows when you do fixboot then what ever you are installing is curpting your master boot record, as well as a portion of your registery.  once you get in to windows do a system restore to before you installed those programs.

ISPgeek  thanks for the reply. Yeah I haven't been able to get in safe mode. But I also believe that it's the USB drivers, because I had to update the USB drivers for the PC to recognize the phone. I'm trying to figure out how to fix that situtation with the USB's...

I have Win XP.

Okay then...I had a similar problem, actually same type of drivers and software...they don't make that stuff very well....let me see if I can remember wth I did to fix it.

I had a problem similar to this on my friends comp a week ago. It wasnt the exact same but close. The way I had him to fix it was to unplug the cpu remove the internal battery and let it sit 5 minutes. Reinsert the battery and reboot. It worked. Now of course there is risk involved so take it with a grain of salt and BE CAREFUL if you want to try it. It shouldnt have worked in his case but it was a last resort shot in the dark ( and it prob wont with yours) but it did actually work for him. Just know you could bomb your comp doing it. BE CAREFUL.

Shug, I was actually thinking about doing that, I don't know why but it did cross my mind. I think that it can be done safely, I'll have to pull out my PC tools that  got back in the college pc repair class days.lol I'll see if that works :)

igarek77 that wont help, go back and read what you said before, you said if you do fixboot it allows you to boot into windows once and then starts the restating thing again.  that means that your master boot record is getting curputed by something in windows.

igarek77 ;I read this on XP on computers that come without disk.There is supposed to be an "i386" folder.Do a search for this .It should have all the files the CD does if it's there.If you know what to extract or can use it with the "Recovery Consol" it might help.

Here's something else that might help:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/314503

You need to use the administrator password.

FIXBOOT

fixboot drive name:

Use this command to write the new Windows boot sector code on the system partition.

In the command syntax, drive name is the drive letter where the boot sector will be

written. This command fixes damage in the Windows boot sector. This command

overrides the default setting, which writes to the system boot partition. The fixboot

command is supported only on x86-based computers.

FIXMBR

fixmbr device name

Use this command to repair the MBR of the boot partition. In the command syntax,

device name is an optional device name that specifies the device that requires a new

MBR. Use this command if a virus has damaged the MBR and Windows cannot start.

Warning This command can damage your partition tables if a virus is present or if a

hardware problem exists. If you use this command, you may create inaccessible

partitions. We recommend that you run antivirus software before you use this

command.

You can obtain the device name from the output of the map command. If you do not specify a device name, the MBR

of the boot device is repaired, for example:

fixmbr deviceharddisk2

If the fixmbr command detects an invalid or non-standard partition table signature, fixmbr command prompts you

for permission before rewriting the MBR. The fixmbr command is supported only on x86-based computers.

This might give some more info if you have problems using the recovery console.

Well, thanks to all you for your help. I solved the problem by simply using the repair feature on the XP disk. I think it there was a problem with the MBR, now everything's back in order, and the computer is working.

Another, problem with a solution to remember...lol

Thanks! :-P