IE & Ad-Aware

cholla

In my case IE6 SP1 & Internet tools.When I do a new install or repair IE.I get 7 Alexa dataminers.Ad-Aware lists these as critical .I remove them & they stay gone until I repair or install IE new again.So do the rest of you get these & do you remove them? If so why or why not?

Here is a screen shot of what I'm talking about.

Cholla, I would be deleting it too. I try to get rid of any sort of bundled software, that comes with something else that I install, as a general means of keeping my PC clean. Alexa claims to be legit, although the toolbar does a lot of stuff in the background, but the reason I would delete it is that to me it is not something that I need or would find useful.

In my case IE6 SP1 & Internet tools.When I do a new install or repair IE.I get 7 Alexa dataminers.Ad-Aware lists these as critical .I remove them & they stay gone until I repair or install IE new again.So do the rest of you get these & do you remove them? If so why or why not?

Here is a screen shot of what I'm talking about.

Hi Cholla , I have just formated/Partitioned and installed  Xp home  (friends puter )

added firewall and anti-virus , went on line and validated Xp,

downloaded   I.E.7 , ran a scan with AVG, did a couple of speed tests ,

all was OK, no other programs added, just put on ad-aware and the result no Alexa, just a few cookies, removed them manually , ran ad-aware  again , nothing critical  detected , 

I.E. 7.  ?  personally not that unpressed, but I will play with it some more,

Xp Home ?  ditto  :shock::lol:

viva Xp Pro with partitioned hard drive , and regular auto system recovery back ups  :thumbsup:   

Thanks Roco:I guess there not in the IE7 .They are in the IE6SP1 strait from microsoft.

Does or has anyone detected the Alexa dataminers that has IE6?

Maybe it only puts them in an 9X OS.

If I repair IE they are always put back in.If I remove them with AD-Aware they stay gone until I repair again.I just want to make sure I'm not removing something that would make IE function better that Ad-Aware is detecting as a dataminer.

dlewis23 ;I'm not sure what the Alexa toolbar is.As far as I know I have the standard IE toolbar.

I haven't done this for a long time but I even took my IE back to IE5 then did the DL of IE6SP1 new & installed it .So I think the Alexa is part of the IE6SP1 service pack.

dlewis23 ;I'm not sure what the Alexa toolbar is.As far as I know I have the standard IE toolbar.

I haven't done this for a long time but I even took my IE back to IE5 then did the DL of IE6SP1 new & installed it .So I think the Alexa is part of the IE6SP1 service pack.

as far as i know alexa has nothing to do with IE6SP1. and they only way you get what you got is by installing the alexa toolbar. You may have just done it by mistake along time ago.

Hi Cholla , I may be putting M.E. on a laptop within the next week or so, I will  look for Alexa , then update IE.6 to the latest , and see what I can find out ,

This will happen providing I can find a hard drive caddy for a Dell Latitude cpx, b4 Nov ( grandsons Birthday 8y, "he must have a laptop" !!!  :lol:) as his older brother has one !

:lol: when I was 8y I got a stick and a ball of string , with that I made a bow , much more fun  :lol:

Oh lol just remembered,  I put a arrow through the BT junction box on the poll outside my parents house, hope BT has forgotten that  :haha:

(Early signs of my outlaw tendencies ? )

Hi Cholla , great , I have printed them  , and I have the IE6sp1 from your link , I should be able to make a start Tues/Wed, if all goes well  ! it will be interesting to see the result ,as I am sure in the past , Ad-aware found Alexa on a clean instal of M.E.

regards

Hi Cholla , I managed to get ahead of the game  :smile2:,

done a format and clean install of M.E. put on latest Ad-Aware,

and loaded latest defs. manualy , the laptop has not been on line ,

guess what ?,  the same 8 Alexa data miner's as in your log , so they must be on the M/S M.E.Disk  :twisted:, I will do some more checks ASAP , but the car awaits, and now the daughters car has blown it's  head gasket (FIAT  :evil2:) so now behind in the game  :sad3:

Again !!!

p.s. I have not done the IE6 sp1 update, as the laptop will not be going online,

but it looks that is not the source anyway 

Regards

Roco  UK

Hi Roco;I guess the Alexa is put in by the IE5 already on the M/S M.E. disk.The reason I suspected the IE6 sp1 update was I had already removed the Alexa & when I insatlled IE6 sp1 update again new or selected repairr IE they were back.So now maybe I can find them in the original IE folder I guess it could be as far back as IE4.

I think I posred it some where but if you want it I have MSDOS.SYS tweak for the way  ME boots you might like.Also a fix for MS paint although not as necessary if not online.

Also if your M.E. won't view the .doc files from the Word in your XP in word pad I have a fix for that.

On the head gasket .Always a pain.You probably know this but if the Fiat is OHC be careful not to bend any valves when putting the head back on.One of the best ways to do this is make sure none of the pistons are TDC & the crank just needing to be moved a little up to TDC .Then have the cam in approxamatly the correct position.Adjust the cam to the correct position & then move the crank to TDC in the correct direction of it's rotation.Some motors can bend valves it turned in the wrong direction.

Hi Cholla , thanks for the advice on the OHC Fiat , Fiasco , but it turned out to be water pump , lol, but saying that I have done a lot of H/gaskets on Fiats,

I like the engines, very free reeving and sharp, for such a small size 1200cc

and good for 100 mph, but for reliability the 2CV  cant be beat , no head gaskets, no water pump , no distributer , no cam belt or chain,  no belt driven fan, no thermostat , LOL

back on topic , Alexa , and such like, anyone had ZLOB found , ad-aware missed it so did ewido, but Spybot S&D did, in sys.32 , I cant find out much about it ?

Roco ;I haven't had the time to search much for where the Alexa is in the ME install.But I mainly expect it's in the IE part of the ME install.

Good on it being a water pump.Much easier than a head gasket.

I actually haven't done any FIAT work but all the OHC engines are somewhat similar.I found out by experience several years ago on a Chevrolet LUV pickup.I think the engine was a Japanese Isuzu.It's OHC was driven by the long bicycle type timing chain.I bent the valves but about broke even on the job.You can't buy much with broke even though.I haven't had ZLOB is it possible it was left on the HD from before the install? Do you use an eraser type program on your HD or just format?I haven't used the one I got now for this but it looks like it might be very good.I used the IBM PC Doctor one last time.HD appeared very clean after.

What I like about my latest one is it overwrites.With ability to let it do this several passes.It is also supposed to make a didk you have previously coppacted the data on able to be uncompacted so to speak.

Hi Cholla , sorry I am a bit naive about reformatting the H/D, I allways use a boot floppy from 9X days , even for X.p. , I just do the fdisk ,delete all partions , if more than one , and start again make the new partions (I always have partions ) run Fdisk/u c: , and with Xp Pro, use the disk to format in NTfs , and install , I have assumed that wipes all, or with M.E. all the above but enter setup instead, Oh, the grandsons laptop is now on X.p. home.

that I had spare,just to make it easier for him and me,   great little laptop for free, dell latitude 750 Mhz 256Mb ram . etc.

all I have to do now is convince M/S that I have moved X.p. home onto this laptop, :grin2:

Re the valve clash , lol,in my apprenticeship days, I was told repeatedly to turn a rebuilt engine over by hand, before using the starter, and thankfully old habits die hard , I was apprenticed to a Lagonda later Aston Martin mechanic from the turn of the century LOL, he used physical violence to emphasize the leasons I learned the hard way , 

but the Key word I learned  when I protested that I cant do that . was, it was put together by a moron, so you can take it apart and reasemble it , just look and learn ,

that has stood me in good stead throughout life, including my first computer build ,

Thanks Fred , R.I.P