Take your Browser here to test your overall speed ! (please)?

The Reverend

http://nitro.ucsc.edu/

Cholla turned me on to this place last night.  I tried it at 8:17AM EST USA and got exactly 100Mbps (not a misprint)  100Mbps  (so, I am assuming that the new Server is online for the high-end speed testing because that is (almost) her maximum speed.coming straight out of Houston or Virginia if you ae extreme East Coast.

Cheers and TY Cholla!

THe Reverend

I have a dw6000.

Here is what it gave me:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.35Mb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 992.96kb/s

The slowest link in the end-to-end path is a 100 Mbps Full duplex Fast Ethernet subnet

BTW, I'm brand new and looking foward to learning all I can here. Reverend, you seem like a real cool guy so far...  :cool:

I have had my dw6000 setup for a couple months with fairly good results. I was just reading about how apparently IE is significantly faster on Dway then Firefox, which kind of bummed me out...there's no going back to IE for me, lol.

Anyways, can someone tell me how to check my signal strength though firefox?

Thanks!

In your browser you can't type in 192.168.0.1 and get the command screen with a "green" light.....clicl on the "light" and the next screen tells you your SS and other things you should WRITE DOWN!

If not, you should return to IE because you are screwing yourself out of over 400Fbps!  DirecWay DW6000s are MADE for IE only ..not the lightweights my friend.  You are actually running LESS security due to DirecWay!  So give it careful consideration please?

Thanks!

The Reverend

Arg, I wasn't hoping you wouldn't come back and say something like that, lol. I became a firefox junkie whilst on dialup...

How can you say it's actually LESS secure?

Btw, thanks for the quick reply and my SS is 75 which seems not bad compared to what I've read in the dslreport forums...

It is LESS secure because the DWay connection will only take advantage of the IE security.  It ignores anything else.  And, your speeds fall through the floor as well.  Sorry, but those are the stats and the "straight skinny" from the men who created them.  :(  FireFox is indeed nice, just not if you are using DWay is all.  You NEED the bulk of a full browser.  Firefox "tears up" XP Systems so that they no longer work for getting into https sites and such things ...or at least that is what my data is starting to point to, and I have over 2,000 trouble calls exactly like yours!  (And climbing....).

Cheers!

The Reverend

Hmmm...well, I just downloaded the TCP Optimizer that you mentioned in the other thread, so we'll see how that goes.

Does Zone Alarm effect Dway at all? I have had ZA running on my PC for a while now...

Also, are you saying that https sites will load faster with IE?

No.  I am saying that the chances of them opening are better than with FireFox.  Seems that Firefox does something to screw up https in your Registry.  XP sometimes can repair itself. 

PPL don't like Zone Alarm.  I've used it flawlessly with a static IP for three years with no problems.  Never had to drop the wall once in order to get into anythihng. If you DO, you won't last 40 seconds and you sure don't wanna go to an https website with no firewall .....the hackers will cream you.

The TCP OPtimimizer will just give you "top" speed, it has nothing to do with helping your IE browser accessing https sites.

Good luck

THe Reverend

Yes, I understood that about the TCP Optimizer, I was just saying "We'll see' in a roundabout way...

Hey can someone tell me, or direct me to the link that explains how to setup your LAN in IE and use the Dway cache (or something like that...)?

I was reading about it earlier today, but can't find the site now...

This is my results..pardon my ignorance but not sure what this tells me...

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.21Mb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 601.67kb/s

The slowest link in the end-to-end path is a 100 Mbps Full duplex Fast Ethernet subnet

MasterGunz

This is after I ran the 'Reverend recommended' TCP Optimizer settings and rebooted both the machine and then the modem.

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.2.1e

click START to begin

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 409.70Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 314.20kb/s

I'm going to run a direct connection from the DW-6000 to my main machine and see if that bottom message changes. Be back in a while. BTW, also running Firefox here, so I will retest first with Firefox and then with IE6 (yuck!) and see if there is a noticeable difference.

OK , back to a direct connection between the DW-6000 and my main box. First test with Firefox.

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.43Mb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 339.24kb/s

and now for IE 6

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 561.33Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 364.94kb/s

Interesting...

These are my results. I do not understand them but maybe it will help with this thread.

click START to begin

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.40Mb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 989.28kb/s

click START to re-test

My results, they seem quite abnormal but then that is just my connection...ABNORMAL :cry: Any idea why the first test is so much lower than the second?

click START to begin

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 36.66Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 144.95kb/s

Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

:) Yeah this site has been around for some time and is actually an upgrade from a previous version. Its my understanding that its primary purpose is as a "Network Diagnostic Tester" and it does have links to other useful sites. The browser testing site was designed by Fred Langa , from the Langa newsletter, he puts out a free letter every Sunday and a upgraded letter which you must pay for. He does have one of the better stress tester for browsers around IMO. The only "problem" I have with the NDT is that the speed test is not always accurate of course thats not its sole purpose, for sure there is more info than anyone could ever use in a lifetime if you are just a P.C. user. But it still is a really cool site and worth a visit and I would encourage everyone to subscribe to the Langa letter (free) as there are always at least 1or2 tips that can help most ppl....... have fun... :)

Another good site for freebies and a place to test your firewall is

Thanks everyone.....what you have been doing is "pinging" the new Server.  As you can see we are getting an average of 100Mbps ...which is exactly what I wanted to see with the new 'baby' purchased for testmy.net.

She will be coming online in several hours.  CA3LE is killing himself getting her all set up....and I apologise for laxing here as I have been a ev1.net getting things done.

TY Again!

"The Rev"

Here is what I got:

click START to begin

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 529.99Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 784.27kb/s

Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

• 2 weeks later...

here it is

click START to begin

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.31Mb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 990.42kb/s

click START to re-test

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.21Mb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 995.07kb/s

• 2 weeks later...

click START to begin

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.24Mb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 124.27kb/s

The slowest link in the end-to-end path is a 100 Mbps Full duplex Fast Ethernet subnet  :confused1:

retest:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.25Mb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 125.62kb/s

:haha:

Sid

Any problems seen with this test??

click START to begin

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.25Mb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 992.13kb/s

WEB100 Enabled Statistics:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.37Mb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 942.73kb/s

------  Client System Details  ------

OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1

Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.5.0_01

------  Web100 Detailed Analysis  ------

100 Mbps FastEthernet link found.

Link set to Full Duplex mode

No network congestion discovered.

Good network cable(s) found

Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 80.36 msec; the Packet size = 1420 Bytes; and

There were 6 packets retransmitted, 37 duplicate acks received, and 0 SACK blocks received

The connection stalled 1 times due to packet loss

The connection was idle 0.28 seconds (2.80%) of the time

This connection is receiver limited 71.37% of the time.

Increasing the current receive buffer (15.0 KB) will improve performance*******************???****************************

This connection is network limited 28.55% of the time.

Contact your local network administrator to report a network problem

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:

RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: OFF

RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON

RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF

RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF

RFC 1323 Window Scaling: OFF

Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable

Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End

Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

Server says [67.45.7.172](new NAT IP ADDRESS) but Client says [192.168.0.2](IP Address? Both new and old are 192.168.0.1)

Any problems with the above??

Thanks John

The connection stalled 1 times due to packet loss

thats not a goood thing

Increasing the current receive buffer (15.0 KB) will improve performance*******************???****************************

i think the test read the settings at the NOC, and not from your pc

VanBuren :)