pc restarting unexpectedly

cf1709

i don't know the problem of my pc (hence, that's the subject) but here it goes...

there are times when my pc goes fine but sometimes it suddenly restarts and as it restarts, the auto scandisk kicks in (i use win2k sp4) and it always detects the anti-spyware program in my registry. i uninstalled the program (spysweeper to be exact) and replaced it with ad-aware. it still restarts but it doesn't detect the spysweeper anymore. then my worst day came when the pc suddenly turned itself off and power itself up and...

everything seems to be fine, except that the screen is blank (i know there's nothing wrong with the display), the things inside the case are running but i don't hear that usual "beep" when starting the pc up. the only light i'm seeing is the blinking led of my dvd writer. no win2k splash screen, no beep, and keyboard isn't working (so no access to bios). I pressed the reset button on the unit and the same thing is still happening. i don't know what really happened but... i hope anyone can help. anyway, these are the specs of my pc:

- intel celeron d 336(?) 2.8g processor; ecs p4m800pro mainboard; pqi ddr400 512mb (x2) ram; sony dru(or dku, can't remember)820 dvd-+r/rw writer; 80gb 7200rpm hdd; 450w psu...

that's as far as i can go, i'm hoping that anyone here can help me. have a nice day! i hope no one answers that "nuking" my pc's the only way...

too bad for me... my little brother himself "voided" my warranty

cf1709 welcome to the forum.

you have a loose power connection somewere in the case. i had the same problem with my video card and it was a loose connector, it did the exact same thing you say.

you need to check them all, it probally wont feel very loose but it is because the pins on the inside are worn down, or the pins in the molex connector are separated.

you just need to check them all, swap them all around.

i don't know the problem of my pc (hence, that's the subject) but here it goes...

there are times when my pc goes fine but sometimes it suddenly restarts and as it restarts, the auto scandisk kicks in (i use win2k sp4) and it always detects the anti-spyware program in my registry. i uninstalled the program (spysweeper to be exact) and replaced it with ad-aware. it still restarts but it doesn't detect the spysweeper anymore. then my worst day came when the pc suddenly turned itself off and power itself up and...

everything seems to be fine, except that the screen is blank (i know there's nothing wrong with the display), the things inside the case are running but i don't hear that usual "beep" when starting the pc up. the only light i'm seeing is the blinking led of my dvd writer. no win2k splash screen, no beep, and keyboard isn't working (so no access to bios). I pressed the reset button on the unit and the same thing is still happening. i don't know what really happened but... i hope anyone can help. anyway, these are the specs of my pc:

- intel celeron d 336(?) 2.8g processor; ecs p4m800pro mainboard; pqi ddr400 512mb (x2) ram; sony dru(or dku, can't remember)820 dvd-+r/rw writer; 80GB 7200rpm hdd; 450w psu...

that's as far as i can go, i'm hoping that anyone here can help me. have a nice day! i hope no one answers that "nuking" my pc's the only way...

too bad for me... my little brother himself "voided" my warranty

Sounds to me like you are in need a of a new pwr supply. 

It does sound like your PSU is not putting out enough juice...

Did you try to clear your CMOS?  If you don't know where the jumper is, or you don't have a jumper for it, just take out the battery on the board, and leave it out for a few minutes, then put it back in, and try to boot her up...**of course remember to have power cord unplugged while doing this, and discharge yourself prior to touching the pc..**

it seems that everyone has the same answers...and thank god nobody answered anything 'bout "nuking" my pc...

got to try the "loose connections", and the battery (that's the small round one that really looks like a battery right?)... can't believe that 450w isn't enough for entry levels nowadays...

in case my psu's not pumping enough juice, how much power do i need? thnaks to you guys again  :D :D :D

i'll go check back in here after i try the first two... (can't spend 'coz inflation sucks)

you might want to check the caps on the motherboard.. I remember there was a series of motherboards for the P4s that had the exploding cap syndrome..  I has a dell 270 that had a few that had gone bad and would abruptly restart.. 

Here are some simple things.The power cord to the monitor itself(At least my monitor has it's own power cord).Check to make sure it pluged into the monitor well.Make sure where it plugged in to the surge protector or power strip has power to that specific plug in.

If it seems all tight take a mulitmeter & the the power cord.Then try it again.If you have acess to another PC test your monitor on it.

On the capacitors I replaced some on my MB a while back but the problem they caused was different.

i've tried the "loose connectors" and it seems to work... i'm using the concerned pc as i type this post. thanks to you guys! but what if it really is the psu? one time i tried to remove my dvd drive and the same thing happens (cept to the fact that there's no more blinking dvd drive led) thanks again!