Windows Defender

Guest kamil234

Guest kamil234

The final release came out today, you can download it from microsoft.com (it's microsoft's free anti-spyware utility)

I'll presonally stick to Ad-Aware Pro..

I am not at all impressed with defender...thats my take.....

I like it.. Although I liked it more when it was MS-antispyware.  I like it when it told me what it was doing all the time.  I like when a program tells me when it catches S#!t or when it's working.  Ever since it's been called windows defender it's been really silent, I guess they got feedback from people saying they didn't like it anoying them... well they need to add a check box for "please annoy me to let me know you're actually doing something!"  -- lol  - I miss MS-antispyware :(

but windows defender MUST be doing the job because I don't ever have any problems... it's just too quite and too resource disintensive :-P lol -- sometimes makes me wonder if it's even there, or if it's on vacation.  I guess that's how programs are supposed to work.  A program of that type is doing it's job right when you don't even know it's there..

it doesn't even have a tray icon... I only see the tray icon when my system boots, then it's gone.

oh.. I guess I just found some settings that make it notify me the way I want it to.. I think it's new for this final version though because I never saw the settings before :-P

cooool, now I have no beef.

ISPgeek, what's your beef with it?  It seems to keep my system reeeally clean, coupled with good antivirus (Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0) I haven't had one problem with anything since I've been using that combo myself... I've also installed that combo on at least 20 other computers I've built for people and they've all been running perfect also.

I can't see why you would have any problem with it...

haha. cool.. when I added the notification settings it also adds a tray icon, it's like it knew that's what someone like me would want :-P  -- hey, but what if I didn't want a try icon, I have to turn off the notification settings... that's kinda lame.  Works for me though, :)

Guest kamil234

I tried a couple previous releases of it, and it was alright.  No flying colours.  I still think Ad-aware and Ewido beat it.  I wonder if Microsoft will incororate it into the full release of Vista.

yes they will, defender came with vista RC1 5600 which i have right now.

oh.. I guess I just found some settings that make it notify me the way I want it to.. I think it's new for this final version though because I never saw the settings before :-P

cooool, now I have no beef.

ISPgeek, what's your beef with it?  It seems to keep my system reeeally clean, coupled with good antivirus (Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0) I haven't had one problem with anything since I've been using that combo myself... I've also installed that combo on at least 20 other computers I've built for people and they've all been running perfect also.

I can't see why you would have any problem with it...

I agree, it is worth the price, for sure.  :D And I am glad you found that, I had not noticed it til you mentioned it. It definately works and not a bad product at all.

Is it as easy to uninstall as the XP Firewall? :icon_pale:

I have never had any trouble removing Windows Defender.  :-|