All you OC'ers out there...hows about some tips....

ispgeek

Okay...got an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe MB with 2GB of top quality memory and a AMD 3800+ X2 CPU.  Display adapter is GeForce 7300xx and have two 19" AOC LM960 LCD monitors.  Graphics is not my issue...I just want to pump some more speed out of the MB/CPU.  Key here is you have to speak english and be specific in your settings info cause while I might know networking and technology in my sleep...OC'in g is something totally different.  So have at it and a huge thank you in advance to those who can help me pimp a few extra cycles out of this box without melting it down.  Oops...should add, running XP Pro...blah blah and blah.... :haha:

My current passmark is 454.2

System information - This Computer

CPU Manufacturer:AuthenticAMD

Number of CPU: 1 (2 Core(s)/CPU, 1 Logical(s)/Core)

CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

CPU Speed: 2014.8 MHz

Cache size: 512KB

O/S: Windows XP

Total RAM:2146934784 Bytes

Available RAM:1505415168 Bytes

Video settings: 1280x1024x32

Video driver

DESCRIPTION:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS

MANUFACTURER:

GeForce 7300 GS

BIOS:

Version 5.72.22.43.00

DATE:

03/17/06

Drive Letter: C

Total Disk Space: 114.5 GBytes

Cluster Size: 4 KBytes

File system:NTFS

http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

That tool is a nice easy way to crank it up a bit in real time...Check the site for the PLL, I am pretty sure that board is on there..I have an asus board also(you can use their built in o/c as well), and had no problems using that tool..

Just to it a little at a time, and of course know how to clear the cmos, which I am sure you do....

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

Dual Core optimizer from AMD as well..

http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

That tool is a nice easy way to crank it up a bit in real time...Check the site for the PLL, I am pretty sure that board is on there..I have an asus board also(you can use their built in o/c as well), and had no problems using that tool..

Just to it a little at a time, and of course know how to clear the cmos, which I am sure you do....

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

Dual Core optimizer from AMD as well..

Thank you...that will help a bunch....so quick a response as well...and you saved me from spending tons of time on ASUS's site which I really do hate.

I would recommend that you tweak your OS before you touch the hardware.

Tweeking OS is not an option here.  This is used for a number of things work related and ANYTHING that should interfere with operation of the software I use would be very bad...even if I can prove that it isn't the cause...it would be bad...so I don't.  Besides...this is not an issue of having a slow system (because it's not...by a long stretch)...this is me having some nice toys and wanting to see what I can take them to without bad things happening....kinda like having a Lamborghini and wanting to see how fast it will go without being nailed by the cops.....

Its called backing-up before you tweaking your OS.

Im pretty sure if you mess up on the over-clocking part it will interfere with you running your system (unless you can afford the back-up parts or already have them).

Messing up on overclocking is as simple as resetting CMOS back to original settings.....assuming I don't get stupid....fixing windows config changes prove to be far more troublesome...backup or not....it's not something I personally don't feel like messing with.  Again...I guess I need to point out...this is NOT a current system performance issue...I work for an ISP...I have no bandwidth issues and this box actually performs quite well under stress.  I just want to see what I can push the hardware to...not software...

Thank you...that will help a bunch....so quick a response as well...and you saved me from spending tons of time on ASUS's site which I really do hate.

Just one tip with that tool  :haha: ...Go up in the smallest increments....I got too bold with it, and managed to force a re-install of windows.  :angry2: I was being stupid  :evil6: I think subconsciously I was trying to blow it up, so I can get an FX-60...  :D

Did you update the bios yet?  Asus does put out bios updates pretty frequently...

Just one tip with that tool  :haha: ...Go up in the smallest increments....I got too bold with it, and managed to force a re-install of windows.  :angry2: I was being stupid  :evil6: I think subconsciously I was trying to blow it up, so I can get an FX-60...  :D

Did you update the bios yet?  Asus does put out bios updates pretty frequently...

Yea I have the latest BIOS courtesy of my flirtation with XP64.  That lasted about as long as my embargo on buying USB devices (about a month).

Yea I have the latest BIOS courtesy of my flirtation with XP64.  That lasted about as long as my embargo on buying USB devices (about a month).

I run x64, we can suffer together  :haha:

Actually, so far, it has run pretty stable...It just takes a bit of searching sometimes to find certain programs/drivers for it...

I run x64, we can suffer together  :haha:

Actually, so far, it has run pretty stable...It just takes a bit of searching sometimes to find certain programs/drivers for it...

Oh yea...it was stable as hell...better than XP 32 will be...and it's pretty virusproof courtesy of how it handles things....BUT...the driver issue just got the best of me...plus we use a version of Citrix at work that is not XP 64 compatible yet....figures we would be down rev because xp64 citrix does exist...we just don't use it.

I have a  ASUS A8N-SLI Premium with a AMD X2 4400+ oc to 2615 mhz. I used the  BIOS to tweak the cpu and set the ram timing. You can also change the voltage to the cpu,ram . I would not recommend you take big jumps in the cpu mhz like brock01,C2D might like that but AMD X2 do not. Raise it up a little bit at a time at stock voltage first and see what you get. Mine is

CPU@2615[237x11] at 1.4 volts.

Ram@ 2.5-3-3-8 at 2.80 volts with Ocz  Platinum Edition PC 4000 Ram.

Part 2    You can also change the voltage to the chipset and HT. You may have to change the Hyper Transport Frequency from auto to 4x [maybe 3x] and change the Mem clock index value [MHz] from 400 to 333,if your ram is not the real good ram. I would just see what I could get with stock voltage and stock ram setting  if I were you. If you do play with the voltage keep a eye on your cpu temps.

If you really want to o/c, it's worth getting a water cooling system...I have a thermaltake water cooler, and it works like a charm...

My cpu gets to maybe 40c when playing BF2142....Now it stays really cool, because the room is cool(I have the radiator mounted outside of case, away from the case..)

Temps aren't my problem with o/c'ing now, its my crappy memory that is in need of an upgrade very soon...

I got my 4000+, which has a locked multiplier, up to 2.7 from stock 2.4...My memory I think is what can't keep up...I have it at just over 2.6 and it runs rock solid...You said you bought good ram, so you should be able to go up a bit more.  I could probably stretch it to 2.8 with good ram..

Water Block...

If you really want to o/c, it's worth getting a water cooling system...I have a thermaltake water cooler, and it works like a charm...

My cpu gets to maybe 40c when playing BF2142....Now it stays really cool, because the room is cool(I have the radiator mounted outside of case, away from the case..)

Temps aren't my problem with o/c'ing now, its my crappy memory that is in need of an upgrade very soon...

I got my 4000+, which has a locked multiplier, up to 2.7 from stock 2.4...My memory I think is what can't keep up...I have it at just over 2.6 and it runs rock solid...You said you bought good ram, so you should be able to go up a bit more.  I could probably stretch it to 2.8 with good ram..

Water Block...

Um....I have this monkey on my back, its name is Murphy....if I dared to install water cooling I would be looking for a new mb and cpu really quick....due to some never before seen leak, meltdown...etc

Um....I have this monkey on my back, its name is Murphy....if I dared to install water cooling I would be looking for a new mb and cpu really quick....due to some never before seen leak, meltdown...etc

:haha:

I don't have the best of luck either, and no leaks...I think it's pretty hard to have a leak...I barely had to tighten the fittings to seal them....I figured I risked cooking the cpu from heat, so I 'd rather cook it in an attempt to not cook it..  :evil6:

just one tip ;) find a decent o/c guide and read read read !

The hardest thing in overclocking is probably tweaking memory settings - if you have a motherboard like mine (dfi sli-dr) which has probably way more settings than other motherboards, the key to a good overclock is knowing what each memory setting does - that will help you in the long run

Water cooling is going to be my next step. I used the stock fan now and my cpu temps are 36c to 42c [ room temp can make a big different in temps] just doing normal stuff and can go up to the lower 50c during gaming and I only went from 1.35 volts to 1.4 volts . Make sure you have a good air flow in the case if you are going to stay with air cooling.

just one tip ;) find a decent o/c guide and read read read !

The hardest thing in overclocking is probably tweaking memory settings - if you have a motherboard like mine (dfi sli-dr) which has probably way more settings than other motherboards, the key to a good overclock is knowing what each memory setting does - that will help you in the long run

I have yet to find a good OC primer.....but I am looking...