Palm Treo 700wx

CA3LE

(see the follow up to this thread at >> http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-17145)

Two days ago I picked up a palm treo 700wx (smartphone) and I switched my cell service from cingular back over to Sprint.  This phone rocks!  At first I was unsure if I would be keeping it but I figured I would give it a try... I figured I had 30 days to see if it was something I could use.  Well, I've hardly even put it down since I got it.  It has surpassed my expectations as to what it's capable of.  After a few choice downloads I'm able to not just surf the net I can do just about anything I need to do to admin my servers just smaller.  So far I've been able to SSH into my servers, remote desktop into my office PC and laptop to get to files when I'm away from the house, FTP and get all my POP3 and IMAP4 email right to my phone instantly... and of course do all the fun stuff like listen to music, watch videos, play games, surf the net with full java/images/videos/sound ...

I'm making this post to suggest this phone to anyone in the market for a PDA phone.  I can tell that this puppy is going to help me stay on top of stuff without being tied to my home office or laptop.  I personally would suggest getting the 700wx vs the 700w... they are the same exact phone except the 700wx runs Windows Mobile 5.0 and the 700w runs the Palm OS... for some reason the one that runs Palm OS costs $100 more... doesnLt make much sense IMO.  I would think that since palm made the os and they don't have to pay license for it.... eh maybe it's because palm OS has special software.  I did notice tha the web browser was better and had java enabled.  I had to download a browser called NetFront v3.3 to get java to work myself and it took me quite a bit of research to find it (it works awesome btw)  (download NetFront [edit: nevermind OperaMini is MUCH better, use opera ;-)] You can also se Opera Mini (download OperaMini.

Oh did I mention that I made this entire post on it   :cool:

I also ran a speed test (only able to run a speedtest after a java browser was installed, as I said before.. I found that NetFront worked the best but OperaMini is also an option.  Mozilla has one called Minimo but I personally had problems loading it... I think that one is more tuned for a pocketPC rather than a smartphone... it just felt laggy and no other application is laggy whatsoever.  Funny thing is that the NetFront one that works so good is a Mozilla based browser, lol.  But if you'd like to try it here is the link.

And here is my speedtest score.  After I post this I'm going to run a dual test and post those results below.

:::::::::::::::::.. Download Stats ..:::::::::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 376 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 46 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/10/29 - 2:24am

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 22.26 sec

Tested from a 386 kB file and took 8.406 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 52.51 % of your hosts average (spcsdns.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-1TRQ4NZYS

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.08 (PDA; NF33PPC3AR/1.0) NetFront/3.3

Before you go out and get one.... read the follow up ;-) >> http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-17145

Cost??

$399.00 with 2 year contract..

I think it is the 700wx = windows and 700p is the palm version

I have wanted to get a smart phone but the plan that they require are just outrageous..  A standard phone plan then on top of that a data plan. 

Damn Ca3le.. that is a nice little toy you have there..

::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 316 Kbps about 0.32 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 39 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 63 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 8 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/10/29 - 9:27am

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-5NT0P4W27

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-BDWC9S2VE

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; PPC; 240x240) Opera 8.60 [en]

>> edit: this is my test I just did.

By the way, I worked my butt off and made some pretty good PDA access for the website, check it out if you have a PDA ;-)

Cost??

Well I paid $499 w/two year and I have a $100 mail in

Im getting one for free tomorrow from my first job :cool:

lucky bastard.. lol

nice ca3le  :azn: thats a sweet phone.

How long did it take you to write all that on that phone? How do you like sprints EVDO, is the speed pertty consistent?

didn't take me that long... yea the EVO is nice.  I get medium speeds at my home.. I still have to test it around town

i dont like those much....they are huge in my opinion...id feel silly bringing something like that to my face to talk on ;) - i dont like headsets either

That's the only thing I hate... but it's not as big as they used to be.  It's almost tollerable.  Like I said, I'm still deciding what I'm going to do... I think i may keep it just because of how kick ass it is... and I can always get a bluetooth headset and use voice commands...  just pull the earpiece out of my pocket, hit the botton and say "call ___" and BAM.. lol

• 1 month later...

That T-Mobile test is cached.

Testing off of T-Mobile is never any good because T-Mobile has a backend proxy that messes up results.

The maximum possible throughput of EDGE is 192kbps/sec. That's kiloBITS, not bytes.

I, too, have Sprint but I have the PPC-6700. I like it more than the Palm phone. Faster processor, full keyboard, etc. My EVDO averages about 600Kbps. I'll put a speed test up in a second.

if that is not cached that is damn good man

EDGE can carry data speeds up to 236.8 kbit/s for 4 timeslots

u are really close it to

did u have perfect signal ??

You're right about the 236.8, I was wrong on my note but T-Mobile doesn't support multiple timeslots on their EDGE implementation, nor does Cingular or any other US provider. That's straight from T-Mobile, btw.

• 2 weeks later...