New Server What do you guys think

dlewis23

im going to be building a new co-location server for my website and i was wondering what you guys think of the specs.

Case/Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856101565

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116032

Hard Drive1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144309

Hard Drive2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148074

Ram: 1GB already own.

Total: $937 + Shipping.

hey dlewis23

yeah this will do just fine for a website

i am talking a medium website a bit like testmy.net without all the speed test traffic sort of size

maybe a bit more of ram would be a good idea to handle all the sessions and stuff

but it looks like a good price

under 1000 :)

that chasi from Supermicro is god btw

I would be careful.. that is a prescott you are shoving into a 1u box.. not the best idea ever for a colo..  Also ditch the ata hard drives and use the SCSI ones.. Hit up ebay for some 36GB ones and use the on board raid.  I mean you have 4 hot swap SCSI trays.. so why not use them?

You might want to check these guys out.. http://www.cidesign.com/product_detail.jsp?productID=19

This is the case that I got on ebay for $75...  They are a third party oem builder.. but if you can find their stuff it is worth it..

Another newegg option that i like even better.. it has sata II hotswap.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856152019R

I would be careful.. that is a prescott you are shoving into a 1u box.. not the best idea ever for a colo..  Also ditch the ata hard drives and use the SCSI ones.. Hit up ebay for some 36GB ones and use the on board raid.  I mean you have 4 hot swap SCSI trays.. so why not use them?

You might want to check these guys out.. http://www.cidesign.com/product_detail.jsp?productID=19

This is the case that I got on ebay for $75...  They are a third party oem builder.. but if you can find their stuff it is worth it..

Another newegg option that i like even better.. it has sata II hotswap.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856152019R

ya i forgot prescott = HOT.

I have to go with ATA or sata for the drives. I need a ton of storage, at least 500GB and scsi isnt going to do that.

those guys look pertty good. Imn check out ebay also for a 1U prebuilt.

I wont go with a AMD swimmer. I would go with a celeron over a 64 or Opteron

My server has dual 2.8ghz HT prescotts in a 1u chassis.... idle at 22 degrees...  :laugh:  (it's in a supermicro case/chassis, btw)

it looks good to me.. you won't need thee SCSI access times, ever. if you're just doing web stuff stick with SATA. (Esp considering this is a bit of a budget server)

Ram wise i had 512 for the longest time, and just upgraded to 2gb, I like the swap when the sites have lots of traffic, but i haven't used all available physical memory to date.  (But MySql does take a bit of ram, if you're going to use it)  case and point ---> 1gb should be fine for now...

what do you plan on doing with it?

my server runs:

AD/is a domain controller

Exchange

Websites (several) including

MySQL databases

file server

DNS (Obviously)

DHCP

so it does everything on my network except be a router.... :-)

Chris

My server has dual 2.8ghz HT prescotts in a 1u chassis.... idle at 22 degrees...  :laugh:  (it's in a supermicro case/chassis, btw)

it looks good to me.. you won't need thee SCSI access times, ever. if you're just doing web stuff stick with SATA. (Esp considering this is a bit of a budget server)

Ram wise i had 512 for the longest time, and just upgraded to 2gb, I like the swap when the sites have lots of traffic, but i haven't used all available physical memory to date.  (But MySql does take a bit of ram, if you're going to use it)  case and point ---> 1gb should be fine for now...

what do you plan on doing with it?

my server runs:

AD/is a domain controller

Exchange

Websites (several) including

MySQL databases

file server

DNS (Obviously)

DHCP

so it does everything on my network except be a router.... :-)

Chris

Mine is going to a data center in chicago to run my rather large website.

CPU and Ram really isn't a problem i run my site off a duel P3 800 with 512MB of ram right now and i get 20,000 unique visitors and 70,000 pages views a day and it does just fine. Hard drive is my problem i need alot of it.

MYSQL is the only thing that is starting to worry me its gone from 22,000 records to 57,000 records in 24 days.

sounds like you've got it covered.. you don't need to worry about heat if you're going in a data center.. as long as you've done your part to make the cooling good enough, the ambient temp will be nice and stable and coool... :-) Sounds like an opportune moment for a raid 5 array... with only 1u of space though you'll probably be limited to a raid 0/1 setup... grab two 750gigers and slap them in raid 1... :-)    Do you use PHP as well? If so , are you following microsofts talks with Zend??! Crazy. I assume you'll be running a flavor of 'nux though anyway... Good luck let us know what you decide on!

sounds like you've got it covered.. you don't need to worry about heat if you're going in a data center.. as long as you've done your part to make the cooling good enough, the ambient temp will be nice and stable and coool... :-) Sounds like an opportune moment for a raid 5 array... with only 1u of space though you'll probably be limited to a raid 0/1 setup... grab two 750gigers and slap them in raid 1... :-)    Do you use PHP as well? If so , are you following microsofts talks with Zend??! Crazy. I assume you'll be running a flavor of 'nux though anyway... Good luck let us know what you decide on!

i wont wast my time with raid, it doesn't give me any benefit. The 750gb hard drives put me out of my price range for now so im going to go with a 500gb and i can still add 2 more drives down the road. My whole site is coded in PHP but i havent been following the talks with Microsoft and zend. ill be running Debian for my OS. I just wish i could get a little bit more bandwidth 3TB is a little low but i guess for 99 bucks a month its not bad,

i wont wast my time with raid, it doesn't give me any benefit. The 750GB hard drives put me out of my price range for now so im going to go with a 500GB and i can still add 2 more drives down the road. My whole site is coded in PHP but i havent been following the talks with Microsoft and zend. ill be running Debian for my OS. I just wish i could get a little bit more bandwidth 3TB is a little low but i guess for 99 bucks a month its not bad,

Doesn't give you any bennifits?

well, I don't understand  your situation then.

I see it as:

Raid 0: I get approx 35% faster disk access/throughput... <---PERFORMANCE! (often less, but measurable always...!)

RAID 1: I get a bulletproof backup if i have catastrophic drive failure... (you get alerted by the raid array, send a disc and they replace it.... the array rebuilds and you're a happy camper... sweet!)

I'd do two 500's or two 250's if that's closer to your budget... the 750's are overpriced, I agree, it was a poor suggestion.  that's pretty good $/TB btw... :-) I'd have to pay $200+ for 3tb/month...

Doesn't give you any bennifits?

well, I don't understand  your situation then.

I see it as:

Raid 0: I get approx 35% faster disk access/throughput... <---PERFORMANCE! (often less, but measurable always...!)

RAID 1: I get a bulletproof backup if i have catastrophic drive failure... (you get alerted by the raid array, send a disc and they replace it.... the array rebuilds and you're a happy camper... sweet!)

I'd do two 500's or two 250's if that's closer to your budget... the 750's are overpriced, I agree, it was a poor suggestion.  that's pretty good $/TB btw... :-) I'd have to pay $200+ for 3tb/month...

It doesn't give me any benefits because consumer raid sucks. It doesnt provide any real world speed benefit and wont make my site go any faster at all.