laptop troubles

bonfire

my friend gave me his laptop to fix, and i figured it just need to be formated with windows, so i put the cd in and went threw all the installing etc, then its just stopped and went to a blue screen saying

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

if this is the first tiem you've seen this Stop error screen, restart etc etc

if problems continue disable or remove anyu newly installed hardware or software.  Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.etc etc

techical information

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xB866CF52, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0xB866CF52)

i have no idea what this means and i can't get any version of windows i have to install

Guest kamil234

it happened to me too ..last night accually i was fixing someones laptop, i tried like a million different things

run chkdsk just to make sure

but most likely one or more volumes on the hard drive might be damaged

so you'll need to get a hard drive.

Guest kamil234

start up your laptop with the windows disk in

click r to repair and it brings up recovery console

(looks just like DOS) black screen

type in chkdsk (drive letter):

press enter

if it says drive looks good, type in

chkdsk /p and it checks the whole drive

it should say one or more volumes on this drive are damaged if its your hard drive, if it isnt than you did something wrong..

to exit the recovey console you type exit

also, like dlewis said, make sure the drive is clean

to format the drive, go to recovery console type in format

it asks you if you want to delete everything

press y

press enter

it should take about 15-20 minutes or so

than boot the computer with the windows cd in,

go to click enter to install windows and make the harddrive format into NTFS ( if you're running XP or higher)

it should format the drive and than you can install windows.

I have seen these errors before on my dell.. It happens on shutdown if I forget to disconnect the vpn client.  I looked up the error name and it looks like it might be related to the USB sub system... I dont know of any other way other than to do a full format of the system and go from there..

I wouldnt do anything from the recovery console if you are not familiar with it.. Just try reinstalling the OS using a full format on the partition that you are going to install on.. If that doesnt work then you might want to download the Ultimate Boot cd and run some of the hard drive utilities to check for hard drive issues.