Util to check your modem signal and more

ispgeek

hey revolutionized with docsdiag using WIN XP click the 2kXp-win and type  java -jar docsdiag.jar -vvv >output.txt and a notepad called output will popup in the dodsdiag folder that you downloaded. 

1 reason it might not work is if your on a router make an ip range of your lan ip's and allow it in your firewall for the test to be complete. 1 thing that stopped mine from working in the beginning is that i needed to log into my modem with 192.168.100.1 so i had to allow that ip in the firewall to get the settings from the modem. 

if yours works it will give you a file like the 1 i attached below  :wink2:

hey revolutionized with docsdiag using WIN XP click the 2kXp-win and type  java -jar docsdiag.jar -vvv >output.txt and a notepad called output will popup in the dodsdiag folder that you downloaded. 

1 reason it might not work is if your on a router make an ip range of your lan ip's and allow it in your firewall for the test to be complete. 1 thing that stopped mine from working in the beginning is that i needed to log into my modem with 192.168.100.1 so i had to allow that ip in the firewall to get the settings from the modem. 

if yours works it will give you a file like the 1 i attached below  :wink2:

I did it and it told me "Cable modem not found". :sad:

i would read the site about the problems it has or just to try to direct connect to it so you can try it.

EDIT

i tried the program that ISPgeek posted and it works for me but the program i posted shows you alot more about the settings.  revolutionized maybe your routers firewall is blocking it or your isp is blocking it somehow

it wont work if your isp blocks snmp.

from  http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/docsdiag/#cispdis

How to tell if your cable ISP has disabled SNMP

Before contacting me to query why you can't get any results from DocsDiag, or why the only messages you get from it are:

* Cable modem not found

* Host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx not responding

* Search for cable modem unsuccessful

then please check first whether your ISP is blocking the use of SNMP, as follows (but do not try this with the 3Com CMX):

* Configure your PC's IP settings out of DHCP and assign a static IP address of 192.168.100.xxx where xxx is in the range 2 to 254 inclusive, with sub-net mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.100.1. Let it restart if it wants to.

* Power off the cable modem.

* Unplug the TV coax cable from the cable modem.

* Power on the cable modem again, and, after its self-test has finished, try using DocsDiag with no parameters. You should get an immediate response of the normal DocsDiag output, as shown in the section Typical Output above, but with data which is meaningless, because the cable modem is offline. (If you don't get any DocsDiag output at this stage, something else is wrong which you need to look into).

* Reconnect the TV cable to the cable modem, and keep trying with DocsDiag. If DocsDiag stops working and reverts to Cable modem not found at the moment that the cable modem goes online (the LEDs settle down), then this is evidence that your ISP is disabling your use of SNMP. On the other hand, if DocsDiag continues to work, then you are now successfully using the customer-side recipe.

* Remember to configure your PC's IP and DNS settings back into DHCP (automatic) after making this test.

If it is your ISP that is disabling your use of SNMP, then there is nothing that I can do to help you. This issue is between you and your ISP.

it wont work if your isp blocks snmp.

from  http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/docsdiag/#cispdis

How to tell if your cable ISP has disabled SNMP

Before contacting me to query why you can't get any results from DocsDiag, or why the only messages you get from it are:

* Cable modem not found

* Host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx not responding

* Search for cable modem unsuccessful

then please check first whether your ISP is blocking the use of SNMP, as follows (but do not try this with the 3Com CMX):

* Configure your PC's IP settings out of DHCP and assign a static IP address of 192.168.100.xxx where xxx is in the range 2 to 254 inclusive, with sub-net mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.100.1. Let it restart if it wants to.

* Power off the cable modem.

* Unplug the TV coax cable from the cable modem.

* Power on the cable modem again, and, after its self-test has finished, try using DocsDiag with no parameters. You should get an immediate response of the normal DocsDiag output, as shown in the section Typical Output above, but with data which is meaningless, because the cable modem is offline. (If you don't get any DocsDiag output at this stage, something else is wrong which you need to look into).

* Reconnect the TV cable to the cable modem, and keep trying with DocsDiag. If DocsDiag stops working and reverts to Cable modem not found at the moment that the cable modem goes online (the LEDs settle down), then this is evidence that your ISP is disabling your use of SNMP. On the other hand, if DocsDiag continues to work, then you are now successfully using the customer-side recipe.

* Remember to configure your PC's IP and DNS settings back into DHCP (automatic) after making this test.

If it is your ISP that is disabling your use of SNMP, then there is nothing that I can do to help you. This issue is between you and your ISP.

It's my ISP that is disabling the use of SNMP.  :angry: