Cable modems

leoinnj

I was using a Motorola SB3100, my speeds were generally 3 to 4 mb.

I changed to a Motorola SB4100, and my speeds have gone to 4 to 6 mb.

My question is:  If I was to upgrade to a Motorola SB5120 could I expect even better performance?

I do know that the SB4100 has a more powerful chip than the SB3100 and the SB3100 is

DOCSIS 1.O and the SB4100 is DOCSIS 1.0 and 1.1

I don't know when Comcast is going to DOCSIS 2.0, if they do, my SB4100 will not be compliant with it. It will work, but it will not acknowledge the faster speeds.

Thank you for any input.  leoinnj

My question is:  If I was to upgrade to a Motorola SB5120 could I expect even better performance?

I do know that the SB4100 has a more powerful chip than the SB3100 and the SB3100 is

I don't know when Comcast is going to DOCSIS 2.0, if they do, my SB4100 will not be compliant with it. It will work, but it will not acknowledge the faster speeds.

you will not see a speed difference with a new modem. if i remember correctly comcast does use docsis 1.1 so that may be why you saw a speed difference. or they may have upgraded you from the 4mb to the 6mb plan.

No one is going to be using docsis 2.0 they are going straight to 3.0.

you will not see a speed difference with a new modem. if i remember correctly Comcast does use docsis 1.1 so that may be why you saw a speed difference. or they may have upgraded you from the 4mb to the 6mb plan.

No one is going to be using docsis 2.0 they are going straight to 3.0.

DLewis I am sorry but your are incorrect in this statement.  The 3.0 standard has not been adopted in a timely manner and therefore  many cable providers have decided to go ahead and adopt 2.0 for the time being.  The expected conversion to 3.0 will not be at least until 2008 in the mean time people can fully expect 2.0 rollouts right at the first of the year.  Many RR customers have a late but very welcome Christmas gift coming!

Motorola is one of the few cable modem mfr's where I have actually seen a speed difference between models and I do not know why.  Earlier versions of the surfboard had serious firmware issues that prevented higher speeds and many ISP's replaced them quickly.  I am sure there is something else going on with your connection.  Also keep in mind that from day to day and time to time your speed tests will fluctuate.  Also make sure that you are not running ANY anti-virus programs when you run speed tests here.  AVAST being a prime example.  If you leave your AVAST AV on while running speedtests from here you will notice about a 20% decrease in performance.

The Motorola SB51xx series are one of the most stable, widely-used, well-accepted cable modems on the market.  They are designed to be compatable with most future systems/implimentations (upgrades, technologies, etc.).  They are very good modems.

The Motorola SB51xx series are one of the most stable, widely-used, well-accepted cable modems on the market.  They are designed to be compatable with most future systems/implimentations (upgrades, technologies, etc.).  They are very good modems.

I had an sb5100, and it was definitely faster than my 4100, and didn't crash nearly as much..(back in the old days when I had cable  :haha: )

Just to be funny. One day i had to unplug my modem and untangle some cords, I had the 8Mb/768k plan from "COMCAST" I accidently dropped my modem Very hard on the floor. Picked it up, heard a rattle inside and Plugged it back up 2 see if it works.. Lo and Behold I was recieving 12Mb down I thought I somehow I uncapped my modem by dropping it and A chip inside might had fell off.... But being stupid and not knowing this was the day that COMCAST had turned on the SpeedBoost Program,,, Well I thought I had something goin' there.