What to do with retarded ISP

iced98lx

In the past my ISP (midco.net) has been pretty good, especially after i begun subscribing to their business line. 20-25Mbps was a normal thing since I'm one of not very many on my Node. Lately service has gone down hill- bad. It started with erratic download speeds (one moment i'm getting 2-3 MB/s the next I'm getting 2-3Mbps). SO I called them up, and they asked me to do some tests online, and then they said they'd send someone over... great.  So they sent someone, they replaced my crappy Ambit modem with another crappy  Ambit modem of the same specs and told me that was the problem. No gas, and it was getting worse. I drop VOIP calls all the time, and my $200/month connection can download around 80kB/s for most of the day. Bad deal, unhappy Chris. I call again, they say my upload power levels are fluctuating and having collisons, and to check if my port is on full duplex or half or auto... I tell them it's on Full, they ask me to put it on half, I ask why, and she says "Just cause" (uhm, okay?) I do it... now I have issues keeping a VPN open from another location... great. I put it back and VPN's work again.. (one more problem I fixed, they sucked it up on) Call back, same issue... we'll send someone out to look at it. They get here, replace my ambit cable modem with a crappier ambit cablemodem / builtin router... now I'm in 3Mbps HELL. I can't get over the 3-5mpbs mark... (I should mention my upload is 1.5Mbps and is perfectly stable)... anyway... I am beyond the point of peeved, and don't know what to do next, therefore this rant came into existance...

here is the crapbox i have now: http://www.ambitbroadband.com/broadband/60740EU.php

here is what I had (and was working better before):http://www.ambitbroadband.com/broadband/U10C018.php

EDIT: More info:

Downstream

Downstream Lock : Locked

Downstream Frequency : 597000000 Hz

Downstream Modulation : QAM256

Downstream Interleave Depth : 32

Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.1 dBmV

Downstream SNR : 35.4 dB

Upstream

Upstream Channel ID : 3

Upstream Transmit Power Level : 51.0 dBmV

Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec

Upstream Frequency : 21600000 Hz

Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Network Access : Allowed

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 0 (no max d/l)

Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 1536000 (1.5max upload)

Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 3044

Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Maximum Number of CPEs : 16

Cable Modem : AMBIT DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem  MAC Address : 00:0e:9b:03:f9:04

Serial Number : 100126003F904 Board ID : U10C012.60

Boot Code Version : 2.1.5 Software Version : 5.20.1105

Hardware Version : 4.7 Web Based Configuration Pages Version : 1.0.2

Thoughts?

Just saying u might have an As *hole on your node that has an uncapped modem.. And outrageously killing every one elses speed. These smaller cable companys like yours usually set a speed for everyone on the network to use and anyone and everyone has a peice. Now Comcast" stops this by putting caps on EVERYONES MODEM, And detects if ANYONE Changes it.  Could be the prob.... I dont see how it works fine and u start getting these huge dif in speed..

Just a question Christopher, aren't you one of the ones that said you were unthrottled on caps? Maybe not. If so maybe someone new is on the block using.  :smile2:

as my modem config indicates my d/l is uncapped. my upload is 1.5mbps... you have to pay quite a bit extra to get uncapped d/l so I don't think it's just someone else grabbing all the bandwidth on the node... could be, anyway, they're "looking into it"

as my modem config indicates my d/l is uncapped. my upload is 1.5mbps... you have to pay quite a bit extra to get uncapped d/l so I don't think it's just someone else grabbing all the bandwidth on the node... could be, anyway, they're "looking into it"

a few people are just uploading a large file most likely

a few people are just uploading a large file most likely

over a series of three weeks? They've assured me it's not a traffic issue... I would think they'd be the first to push me twards fibre (the next option for speed).

we're talking about seriously spurrattic speeds on the download.. my upload is fine..  but I'll get 80kB/s for two hours and then suddenly the distro i'm downloading will go to 2900kB/s... it's like suddenly someone twisted something tighter... then an hour later... back to square one.

Here is a great example of on time...

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 18920 Kbps about 18.9 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 2310 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/11/03 - 11:16am

Bottom Line:: 330X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.44 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 5.265 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 219.27 % faster than the average for host (midco.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-69GREF0PO

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1) [!]