Is this a good cable signal?

krazy

Anyone who knows how to read this stuff, is my signal any good?  The line to my modem is split twice before it hits my modem.

Downstream

Frequency 111000000 Hz Locked

Signal to Noise Ratio 34 dB

QAM 256

Power Level -12 dBmV

Upstream

Channel ID 4

Frequency 22000000 Hz Ranged

Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s

Power Level 49 dBmV

Anyone who knows how to read this stuff, is my signal any good?  The line to my modem is split twice before it hits my modem.

Downstream

Frequency 111000000 Hz Locked

Signal to Noise Ratio 34 dB

QAM 256

Power Level -12 dBmV

Upstream

Channel ID 4

Frequency 22000000 Hz Ranged

Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s

Power Level 49 dBmV

Your downstream is a bit low....I would like to see that no less than -10

Neg twelve is just fine as is assuming the cable is good.

Actually no its not.... field techs try to squeeze by on it...but we have found in testing that -10 is the low end of the scale for proper operation.  Now the modem specs may be different but in practical application (real life) anything lower than -10 is not acceptable.  We advise tech rolls on anything lower than -10.

Umm okay, we can agree to disagree.

Actually no its not.... field techs try to squeeze by on it...but we have found in testing that -10 is the low end of the scale for proper operation.  Now the modem specs may be different but in practical application (real life) anything lower than -10 is not acceptable.  We advise tech rolls on anything lower than -10.

Umm okay, we can agree to disagree.  I have seen many modems operate just fine at those levels unless there is other drop or plant issues. Advising a tech to roll a truck unless there is other underlying problems is a waste of time and company money (IMHO).

Umm okay, we can agree to disagree.

Umm okay, we can agree to disagree.  I have seen many modems operate just fine at those levels unless there is other drop or plant issues. Advising a tech to roll a truck unless there is other underlying problems is a waste of time and company money (IMHO).

A signal of less than -10 is an indication of an underlying problem in itself.   Any additional loss would have an impact on the customers experience.  It's best to deal with the issue BEFORE it impacts the customer to any degree, thus preventing tech rolls and most important preserving the relationship with the customer.  It's far cheaper to send the tech than it is to find new customers or to deal with the bad reviews of our product in forums like this one.  Our company takes the high road whenever issues like this exist just because it's good business.  Yours may not and who knows...it might be the reason people are complaining.  The gentlemen no doubt posted his levels because he IS having some type of problem, whether it be high flap counts or slow browsing.

Remember this...and your own statement to some degree agrees.....IF additional drop or plant issues exist....well...having proper signal levels to begin with affords a cable provider a little wiggle room when things do go wrong at the drop or plant level whereas a signal level already out of spec gives the cable provider NO wiggle room in these situations.  It's the difference in many cases between the modem being ON or OFFLINE and that definately has an impact on your customer and the relationship you will have with them.  So keeping things in spec to begin with has many benefits to just "fixin it when its broke"...which unfortunately is the dominant attitude by many cable companies but there is a fresh wind a blowin...its called competition....those who don't get with the picture well....can take the spoils that FIOS leaves behind....happily our company is not one of those companies.....is yours?

A signal of less than -10 is an indication of an underlying problem in itself.   Any additional loss would have an impact on the customers experience.  It's best to deal with the issue BEFORE it impacts the customer to any degree, thus preventing tech rolls and most important preserving the relationship with the customer.  It's far cheaper to send the tech than it is to find new customers or to deal with the bad reviews of our product in forums like this one.  Our company takes the high road whenever issues like this exist just because it's good business.  Yours may not and who knows...it might be the reason people are complaining.  The gentlemen no doubt posted his levels because he IS having some type of problem, whether it be high flap counts or slow browsing.

Remember this...and your own statement to some degree agrees.....IF additional drop or plant issues exist....well...having proper signal levels to begin with affords a cable provider a little wiggle room when things do go wrong at the drop or plant level whereas a signal level already out of spec gives the cable provider NO wiggle room in these situations.  It's the difference in many cases between the modem being ON or OFFLINE and that definately has an impact on your customer and the relationship you will have with them.  So keeping things in spec to begin with has many benefits to just "fixin it when its broke"...which unfortunately is the dominant attitude by many cable companies but there is a fresh wind a blowin...its called competition....those who don't get with the picture well....can take the spoils that FIOS leaves behind....happily our company is not one of those companies.....is yours?

Your persistance has helped to change my mind. I just noticed that -12 is at 111Mghz. That is a lot lower in the freq scale than I am used to working with.

Your persistance has helped to change my mind. I just noticed that -12 is at 111Mghz. That is a lot lower in the freq scale than I am used to working with.

111MHz?

That is an uncommon placement of the DOCSIS carrier.

-12 is for sure low at that freq; just below channel 14 (A -2 ish).

krazy, I would take everyone's suggestions and check to see that you don't have multiple splitters in line.

We want to see that downstream carrier closer to 0 dBmV.

111MHz?

That is an uncommon placement of the DOCSIS carrier.

-12 is for sure low at that freq; just below channel 14 (A -2 ish).

krazy, I would take everyone's suggestions and check to see that you don't have multiple splitters in line.

We want to see that downstream carrier closer to 0 dBmV.

Yea, I am used to seeing it closer to 650 - 700 MHz range. If that was the case I would still stick to my guns on my original response. But in this case I give...  :)