The new cpu hype

intense

First we had the dual core cpu. Now the quad 4 cpu is out. I can only imagine how many salesman will con the average user into spending alot more money on a computer by convincing them the dual are twice as fast and the quads being 4 times as fast as the single core cpu.

From everything I have seen and herd the dual core at best will give you MAYBE a 30 percent boost over the single core. Most average users will never notice it. Acording to pcmag the quad chips are no better. Most will never notice the increase in preformace over the single core. Of course the hard core geeks will overclock them and brag about the benchmark tests.

Just hope common sense prevails. Sure you can pay big bucks for a car that will do 180 miles an hour. Where in the usa can you utilize that speed. Computers are no diffrent. Sure you can pay big bucks for a computer that will screem, but do you really need it? Is the cost worth shaving a few seconds of load time for a program?

Just hope the hardcore geeks as well as the weekend geeks educate there friends and pass along the real information that its just hype. I am getting ready to build my next computer. Yea I can afford it so I did go with a dual core cpu chip. Its the atholon 64 4200 dual core  chip. I get it up and running an about a month or so I will let ya all know my thoughts compared to a single core.

the point is not one application running in all the cores

apart from some hardcore picture and video editing almost all the programs this days work fine in 2 to 3 ghz core

the point is people are multi tasking

so you need more core to handle more applications

the point is people are multi tasking

so you need more core to handle more applications

For general multitasking, two cores is all you need (I don't mean running several CPU-intensive programs at the same time, since that is very rare).

Four cores is for the most part only useful for encoding, in other words video/sound editors. On the other hand, the 8800GTX is bottlenecked by a C2D at over 3.5 Ghz, so as long as a game can use the extra cores (for a game programmer that's tough to do) you will see quite a nice boost when running Core 2 Quadro.

Thanks for the views on this , the hype nearly got to me  :lol:

I built this puter 2.1/2 years back , 2.8 athlon , 1 Gb ram 2 H/Drives  etc. the use is just the average Joe , email , few family pics, TMN , etc. but I was begining to think I should start again, guess I will stay as I am for a year or so , 

First we had the dual core cpu. Now the quad 4 cpu is out. I can only imagine how many salesman will con the average user into spending alot more money on a computer by convincing them the dual are twice as fast and the quads being 4 times as fast as the single core cpu.

From everything I have seen and herd the dual core at best will give you MAYBE a 30 percent boost over the single core. Most average users will never notice it. Acording to pcmag the quad chips are no better. Most will never notice the increase in preformace over the single core. Of course the hard core geeks will overclock them and brag about the benchmark tests.

Just hope common sense prevails. Sure you can pay big bucks for a car that will do 180 miles an hour. Where in the usa can you utilize that speed. Computers are no diffrent. Sure you can pay big bucks for a computer that will screem, but do you really need it? Is the cost worth shaving a few seconds of load time for a program?

Just hope the hardcore geeks as well as the weekend geeks educate there friends and pass along the real information that its just hype. I am getting ready to build my next computer. Yea I can afford it so I did go with a dual core cpu chip. Its the atholon 64 4200 dual core  chip. I get it up and running an about a month or so I will let ya all know my thoughts compared to a single core.

I have no intention of upgrading from dual to quad core.  Thats just crazy....I have way more processing power than I need now.....I almost feel guilty having what I have......especially when I know what I had 22 years ago.....

The benefit that caught my attention was the thermal improvement as well as the reduced power requirement for the new Dual Core 2 CPUs.  Running a X1900XTX heats up my system enough on its own, I'm happy with a CPU that tops out at 30 degrees under full load.

I've only tried burning one movie so far, MI-III, and it ripped/burned in about 20 minutes.  That was a big improvement from my previous system, its enough hype for me to sign up. :cool:

The benefit that caught my attention was the thermal improvement as well as the reduced power requirement for the new Dual Core 2 CPUs.  Running a X1900XTX heats up my system enough on its own, I'm happy with a CPU that tops out at 30 degrees under full load.

That's mostly because Intel is at 65nm, but 30c load sounds rather low to me. I think you either have a very low ambient, or a sensor that's not so accurate. :smiley:

The first quad cores are just like the old dual cores of Intel, nothing more than two dual cores stuck together. So the TDP is exactly double that of Conroe.

Well I just want to state that I went from a 3.2 gig single core to a core 2 duo 6600 and I did see a 40-60 frame per second jump in all my games and more in others. So it's actually what you use your computer for as to whether you can consider it hype or not. I mean if your a IM or e-mail junky then yeah your 2 to 3 gig cpu is going to work great, but if you have other/higher demands from you computer then the dual core cpus are what you want.