ISPgeek, another modem question!

ratchet

About two weeks ago we had quite a bit of flooding in Western PA.  During the hight of it my signal to noise ratio went from a consistent 39/40 to 36/37 which I realize is still decent.  Prior to this flooding, my downstream/upstream averaged about +7/45 to 48.  Now I'm always +3 or +4 and upstream 38 to 41.  The post flood readings (based on upstream levels, i.e. the modem doesn't have to work as hard), from what I've come to understand about all of this, are actually better.  So two questions:  They are always working on our system here in town and may have done some more improvements, are these new readings just a coincidence?  Is the lower signal to noise ratio a result of the lower downstream signal or still an issue from the flooding?  Thank You!

I cannot honestly answer that question without speaking to your tech guys and that probably won't happen.    The levels you have posted above are not bad....so unless you are actually having problems I wouldn't worry about them.  We hesitate to give levels out to people because the minute they change the phone calls start to flood in.....your levels will change from hour to hour and day to day, this is normal.  So long as they stay within normal operatiing params and you have no problems I wouldn't worry about it.

I cannot honestly answer that question without speaking to your tech guys and that probably won't happen.    The levels you have posted above are not bad....so unless you are actually having problems I wouldn't worry about them.  We hesitate to give levels out to people because the minute they change the phone calls start to flood in.....your levels will change from hour to hour and day to day, this is normal.  So long as they stay within normal operatiing params and you have no problems I wouldn't worry about it.

My signal levels don't change! AM I NORMAL? :P  :haha: