Insight cable connection

g1nked

Dear Fellow Broadbanders,

As on the second of November my isp insightbb implemented a speed increase from 4 Mbs to 10 Mbs and increased the upload also which was 384  now I believe it is 1Mb. As you can imagine I am happier than Muhammad Ali at a martini shaking contest.

My problem is that I cant get a consistent speed score to save my life and I am only pulling 1Mb scores when before "the upgrade" I would consistently get the same score which was 3.8 out of 4Mb all the time. Now i get 1.1  five times in a row then i may get a 8.8 or even 9.1 score. I have called my isp and they said on their side my RCA modem showed a super connection so they will have to send a tech out to investigate further. I wonder if anyone here has any suggestion/ solutions i could try until the tech gets out here. I have xp pro with sp2 and all my latest drivers for my linksys router and so on. Any more information could be provided if it will help just ask please.

Thanks for reading this and taking time to respond.

As on the second of November my isp insightbb implemented a speed increase from 4 Mbs to 10 Mbs and increased the upload also which was 384  now I believe it is 1Mb. As you can imagine I am happier than Muhammad Ali at a martini shaking contest.

My problem is that I cant get a consistent speed score to save my life and I am only pulling 1Mb scores when before "the upgrade" I would consistently get the same score which was 3.8 out of 4Mb all the time. Now i get 1.1  five times in a row then i may get a 8.8 or even 9.1 score. I have called my isp and they said on their side my RCA modem showed a super connection so they will have to send a tech out to investigate further. I wonder if anyone here has any suggestion/ solutions i could try until the tech gets out here. I have xp pro with sp2 and all my latest drivers for my linksys router and so on. Any more information could be provided if it will help just ask please.

Welcome to TMN! :welcome:  What I can tell you right off the bat is that, I have not heard good things from the RCA modem. I was just posting to a topic about someone who was getting horrible speeds with and RCA modem. Another thing have you tried tweaking? Try this cablebut tweak.

Must be a Insight only. :uglystupid2:

Edit: Thought I would throw in a tracert.

Tracing route to testmy.net [67.18.179.85]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    *        *        *    Request timed out.

2    9 ms    6 ms    14 ms  74.128.19.245

3    13 ms    14 ms    24 ms  74.128.16.81

4    16 ms    28 ms    20 ms  74.128.8.97

5    29 ms    28 ms    45 ms  so-7-1-0.gar2.Atlanta1.Level3.net [4.78.214.17]

6    *        *      29 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Atlanta2.Level3.net [4.68.103.62]

7    *      42 ms    *    ae-1-100.ebr1.Atlanta2.Level3.net [4.69.132.33]

8    98 ms    *      48 ms  ae-14-55.car4.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.68.122.144]

9    50 ms    85 ms    69 ms  ae-14-55.car4.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.68.122.144]

10    67 ms    61 ms    85 ms  THE-PLANET.car4.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.71.122.2]

11    46 ms    44 ms    47 ms  te7-2.dsr02.dllstx3.theplanet.com [70.87.253.26]

12    55 ms    59 ms    50 ms  gi1-0-1.car17.dllstx4.theplanet.com [67.18.116.69]

13    67 ms    52 ms    48 ms  55.b3.1243.static.theplanet.com [67.18.179.85]

Trace complete.

C:Documents and SettingsTim>tracert testmy.net

Tracing route to testmy.net [67.18.179.85]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  DD-WRT [192.168.1.1]

2    *        *        *    Request timed out.

3    8 ms    7 ms    7 ms  74.132.0.185

4    8 ms    6 ms    7 ms  74.128.8.105

5    30 ms    37 ms    28 ms  so-3-1-0.gar2.Atlanta1.Level3.net [4.78.214.21]

6    *        *        *    Request timed out.

7    *        *        *    Request timed out.

8    51 ms    55 ms    49 ms  ae-14-51.car4.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.68.122.16]

9    50 ms    52 ms    51 ms  THE-PLANET.car4.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.71.122.2]

10    52 ms    53 ms    51 ms  te9-2.dsr01.dllstx3.theplanet.com [70.87.253.14]

11    50 ms    50 ms    49 ms  vl42.dsr02.dllstx4.theplanet.com [70.85.127.91]

12    49 ms    50 ms    51 ms  gi1-0-2.car17.dllstx4.theplanet.com [67.18.116.8

5]

13    50 ms    50 ms    51 ms  55.b3.1243.static.theplanet.com [67.18.179.85]

Trace complete.

gotta love that timeout on hops 6&7

Aww man, access denied. :P

Man someone needs to tell them about that great TMN site I heard so much about.  :haha:

"Access Not Allowed!

Sorry, but access to Insight Broadband's speed test servers are restricted to our customers only!  If you wish to test your speeds, you can try out one of these other speed test sites:

Broadband Reports

Bandwidth Place

Toast.net

Google entries for "Speed Test"

:tongue2:

well so far it seems that the only time i get a decent speed is after midnight. I did try that insight link and got 8mbs which is closer to 10 that insight now offers. During the day though the scores go way way down like to 1mb speeds.

Can anyone suggest  a superb brand of modem? or top of the line?

The DCM425 is the model insight leases me currently.

Would the person who posted the cable tweak elaborate more on what that file does exactly?

Would the person who posted the cable tweak elaborate more on what that file does exactly?

It is supposed to tweak your internet connection for any speed that you are having trouble receiving. You might actually try the TCP Optimizer as it is a little easier to maneuver.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-1013

Anyway the instructions for both are in here. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ali comment is NOT appreciated by me. I can personally assure you that there is no humor hiding in the condition ... "Fellow Broadbander", indeed.

Mike Falcone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wps2gog8_EM

As on the second of November my isp insightbb implemented a speed increase from 4 Mbs to 10 Mbs and increased the upload also which was 384  now I believe it is 1Mb. As you can imagine I am happier than Muhammad Ali at a martini shaking contest.

My problem is that I cant get a consistent speed score to save my life and I am only pulling 1Mb scores when before "the upgrade" I would consistently get the same score which was 3.8 out of 4Mb all the time. Now i get 1.1  five times in a row then i may get a 8.8 or even 9.1 score. I have called my isp and they said on their side my RCA modem showed a super connection so they will have to send a tech out to investigate further. I wonder if anyone here has any suggestion/ solutions i could try until the tech gets out here. I have xp pro with sp2 and all my latest drivers for my linksys router and so on. Any more information could be provided if it will help just ask please.

I understand the link you put up, but how does that tie in with the post??

What does "As you can imagine I am happier than Muhammad Ali at a martini shaking contest." got to do with "Parkinson's Disease"  :?:

Or are you just trying to get attention to your plight. I just don't see  where you are coming from. g1nked just appears to only be happy about his scores.  :lost:

The Ali comment is NOT appreciated by me. I can personally assure you that there is no humor hiding in the condition ... "Fellow Broadbander", indeed.

Mike Falcone

Dear Mike, I apologize for the comment if it offended you in any way. Now if you want to flame go elsewhere because I didnt notice any input towards the question you just took time out to say I hurt your feelings. Well boo hoo hoo now get on with life and promote your awareness somewhere else. Muhammad Ali chose to fight and that is a result of his choices. I didnt mention or insult anyone that has no choice in the matter so move on and dont cloud this help post with your Florence Nightingale flames.

I am a disabled Veteran that fought for mine and your right to say what ever I damn well please!