Free Virus Protection

leoinnj

TimPawlak, You are correct about AVG. Apparantly I was mislead by the AVG popup. I went into the AVG site and did some checking. (I should have done that before posting) Please accept my appology. Here is the information I found:

AVG Free Edition is the well-known antivirus protection tool. AVG Free is available free of charge to home users for the life of the product. Rapid virus database updates are available for the lifetime of the product, thereby providing the high level of detection capability that millions of users around the world trust to protect their computers. AVG Free is easy to use and will not slow your system down (low system resource requirements). Highlights include automatic update functionality, the AVG Resident Shield, which provides real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run, free Virus Database Updates for the lifetime of the product, and AVG Virus Vault for safe handling of infected files. Version 7.5.4 includes improved virus detection based on better heuristics and NTFS data streams scanning; a smaller installation and update files; and an improved user interface. The newest version is also compatible with Windows Vista.

I just received a notice from AVG free virus program. Starting in January 2007 it will no longer be free.

I believe the next choice will be Avast. It can be downloaded from Cnet @  Download.com

here is the URL:  http://www.download.com/Avast-Home-Edition/3640-2239_4-10602417.html?v=1

You sure know how to scare a lot of folks.  :icon_shaking: :icon_shaking: :icon_shaking:

I was just in there a day or 2 ago.

Get the AVG anti Spyware while you are in there. It is free also. You download it for 30 days, then it turns off to a free edition also. It is great! It used to be Ewido antispyware.

Those Grisoft guys are the shit.  :thumbsup:

Active Virus Shield is also a great AV solution. It's based on Kaspersky's latest engine and it's free.

Don't let the AOL name scare you away. It does very well against the most hostile Viruses/Trojans.

Get it here: Active Virus Shield

See where it ranked during testing here: Virus GR (15-25 August 2006)

If I wasn't using a beta version of Kaspersky which works best with Windows XP Professional x64 and needed a free solution, I would use Active Virus Shield. It's impressive. :smiley:

I'm going with Avast Free, and Comodo Firewall.

I also run Comodo Firewall and am very impressed with it. Had AVG Free but after trying Comodo Anti-Virus, which caught a "net worm/trojan" which AVG didn't, I switched. These two products are awesome and now are residing on both computers plus a few of my friends. I highly recommend them along with their other products.

I uninstalled AVG and tried out Active Virus Shield. It found a trojan that AVG didn't find. I think I'll keep it.

Wow! That could have easily turned into a serious problem had it not been detected. Good thing you tried it out. :grin:

Kaspersky is the number one antivirus in the world. I'm happy it didn't turn into just another overrated program after it's popularity skyrocketed (e.g. Norton, McAfee). It's still uses the best methods for handling threats, and that's all that really counts.

Being that Active Virus Shield uses the same engine, the protection will be top notch as well.

The footprint that it leaves on the system is very light. Only two processes.