Dual Booting Windows Vista and Fedora 6

Spook63

I have set up a removable drive with Windows Vista (32-bit Build 5600) and Fedora 6 Core on it. I can dual boot them, but it uses the GRUB loader to boot into Vista. When I had a dual boot set up with XP and Red Hat, I could edit the boot.ini file to make it boot from Windows by copying the first 512 bytes of the Linux bootsect. But now I have discovered that Vista no longer uses boot.ini and instead uses Boot Configuration Data (BCD). Anyone have any clues/suggestions as to how to fix this??

I have set up a removable drive with Windows Vista (32-bit Build 5600) and Fedora 6 Core on it. I can dual boot them, but it uses the GRUB loader to boot into Vista. When I had a dual boot set up with XP and Red Hat, I could edit the boot.ini file to make it boot from Windows by copying the first 512 bytes of the Linux bootsect. But now I have discovered that Vista no longer uses boot.ini and instead uses Boot Configuration Data (BCD). Anyone have any clues/suggestions as to how to fix this??

What you are trying to do sounds wonderful.....great concept....but knowing as little as I do about Vista and only going by what I've heard it also scares me to death....I guess if I had nothing to lose with my data and alot of time to mess with it this might be a cool idea (or if I knew more about how Vista will work).

You are trying to boot linux from the Vista bootloader?  if that is the case..

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/273

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78186

check those out.. I am not 100% sure what you are looking for..

Thanks Swimmer, they both look like they will fit my needs, especially now since I updated Vista to the RC2 build 5744 release. Now it boots straight to Vista and not via the GRUB bootloader as before. It must have overwritten the MBR. I'll give both a try and post my results.