Connection between router and printer

Le_Murphant

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to connect my printer to my router if my printer has no ethernet port. What i want is to be able to print from two different computers without having to buy two printers. My router is the Linksys wrt54g and I have a hp pcs printer with usb connection only. Thx

Yes.. that is possible..  There are a few ways to do it..

One is through Printer/File sharing which is included in every version of windows xp since 98..  This works fine but it requires the computer to be on when you want to print from the other computers.  However, this is the only solution will allow you to retain the full functionality of the scanner..

The other way would be to purchase a print server... Which would allow you to plug the USB cable into the server then attach a network cable to the router.  This is great if you have high volume printing and dont want to have to have the other computer on.  However, doing it this way you would loose the scanning functionality.

here are some pinter sharing resources for windows xp:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx

http://www.bio.upenn.edu/computing/network/filesharing.xp.php