Are ya paranoid? You might be after this thread!!!

ispgeek

List all the ways that data is collected about you on a daily basis including but not limited to video, credit card, employment, any form of internet, you name it....anything that you can think of that actually contributes to your cyber entity on a daily basis....and please give specific examples that you know of that might be limited to your area.  Once we get the list compiled then we will have some fun as to how it is currently abused or could be abused by anyone wanting to gather information on you.

Here goes....

Any time you take your car to one of those places like Jiffy Lube etc...they do a car health report....and from your perspective they try to get you to buy this, that or the other additional service in addition to that like el cheapo oil change.  Well that aint all they do....the data they collect about your car, including VIN and condition, diagnosis info, car computer data, over all wear and tear and maint and what you actually had serviced, your name, your drivers lic, your credit card info...all goes into a database they sell to companies like carfax, insurance companies, investigation companies, anyone who might want information about how you take care of your car.  Now what could go wrong? :2funny:

I prefer Walmart. And so far safe. [i think] Or is it?  :lol:

Oh h^ll no....Wallmart is one of the biggest data mining companies out there.  Their database of your purchase habits even dwarfs Sears who for many years held the title there.  Any time you purchase anything at Walmart your entire purchase record along with your id (cc, atm, check info) goes into their database.  What's really scary is all those cameras above the registers....well they arent just to keep safe watch over the checkers...they are there to snap digital images of you if the checker scans items that meet certain watchlist criteria....example you buy more than one package of pseudoephedrine (pardon the spelling) or combine that purchase with with octane boost (common ingredients of mfr of meth).  Your picture, your purchase history along with all the credit cards you have ever used may then be shipped to authorities or other agencies wanting such data.  Same thing goes for cell phones or more than one high dollar ticket item.  Walmart is no different than any other company in its class....they make money on you any way they can...if selling your buying habit data will make them money...be sure its being done...because it is....

who wants to think about something like this.......its pointless.......as long as we are living a life in a community of people our information is exploited one way or another....being paranoid is useless

the only way to save yourself is to limit yourself to your own private island or never get out of the room :0)

who wants to think about something like this.......its pointless.......as long as we are living a life in a community of people our information is exploited one way or another....being paranoid is useless

the only way to save yourself is to limit yourself to your own private island or never get out of the room :0)

Thank you for your fine contribution.....ah yes....freedom of the press.....gotta love it.... :2funny:

Here's another...(back to the topic).... :azn:

There are now cameras at virtually every major intersection in our town...and a whole bunch not so major. Now the obvious use is for traffic control (we all know that)....but very same cameras that give us traffic control capabilities also give people the capability to scan license plates in real time (not to mention snap that digital photo of you hookin that ever so bothersome boogie at 4th and 21st streets).  What could possibly go wrong?  :2funny: :2funny:

edit: to paraphrase what he really meant

well now that you brought up this topic ...and wally world.....

this may be a BS thing i heard ,,,but i have heard about their tracking not only in the cameras...digital info...etc...but also some sort of chip in some or all of the clothing items they sell.......was this as i stated b4 just a line of BS    :bs:  or have you guys heard of this??

cheers

and remember....

sam walton is watching you....lmao

:icon_cyclops_ani:

:iamwithstupid:

:iamwithstupid:

This is very true, you have to take risks in life. I guess going to WalMart and getting your car checked out is just a risk I have to take.  :2funny::haha:

this may be a BS thing i heard ,,,but i have heard about their tracking not only in the cameras...digital info...etc...but also some sort of chip in some or all of the clothing items they sell.......was this as i stated b4 just a line of BS    :bs: or have you guys heard of this??

cheers

and remember....

Yes you are correct....it's called an RFID and very soon they will probably be in everything regardless what store you go to.  Now walmart says they are just for inventory control and tracking but the real story is......With RFID technology a merchant could literally do an inventory of your body as you come into their store or department and within seconds target YOU specific advertising based on it.  But it goes much deeper than that...the technology would allow them to scan for ANY RFID embedded device on your person and this includes drivers licenses....and to the extreme some form of implantable body chip (guess the noids weren't so crazy after all).....Now what could possibly go wrong?  :2funny:

Here is some references to gobble up...

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.07/shoppers.html

http://www.spychips.com/

http://www.silicon.com/software/applications/0,39024653,10005771,00.htm

Ah yes....a forceful press.....even more encouraging....thank you all the mods for contributing your "opinions"...nice to see we have a nice open forum of communication here.....that open forum is what has made TMN such a special place...... :grin:

yep that's what we're all about...an open forum...full of fun and positive communication...  :grin2:  :angel:

this may be a BS thing i heard ,,,but i have heard about their tracking not only in the cameras...digital info...etc...but also some sort of chip in some or all of the clothing items they sell.......was this as i stated b4 just a line of BS    :bs:   or have you guys heard of this??

cheers

and remember....

Here is some more information on RFID's that you might want to read....this is good stuff actually and it really should be watched closely.

http://www.uwrfidlab.org/news/docs/LabpressCNN_RFID.pdf

http://rfidlawblog.mckennalong.com/archives/100-print.html

http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/