New to wireless

pistolgrip

I recently replaced my BT Voyager205 router (ISP =  BT) with a wireless router and a plug in BT Voyager Wireless adaptor card. All went well and my laptop can now pick up my BT account remotely. The connection from router to PC is made by inputting a product key (supplied with the router)

Feeling all pleased with myself, I trundled down to another house where I have a different ISP (ntlworld) and bought a Linksys Wireless G router to attach to my cable modem.

When I configured the Lynksys, I was asked for a passphrase and I chose WEP (not knowing what else to choose?). I chose a phrase and this was scrambled into an alphanumeric code which I took to be the equivalent of the Voyager Product key.

The problem is that although the PC can see the Linksys router, I cannot seem to get connected and wondering where the error is.

that the product key is not the same as this passphrase code or is it something to do with the naming of the SSID?

http://192.168.1.1

Username: admin

Password: admin

Put the above address in your explorer bar and hit enter after hooking up the router to the pc with a ethernet cable. Then enter the Username and Pass. This should get you into the router setup. Hope this helps, if not let me know there is another way.  :grin2: Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the site and tell your friends.

I recently replaced my BT Voyager205 router (ISP =  BT) with a wireless router and a plug in BT Voyager Wireless adaptor card. All went well and my laptop can now pick up my BT account remotely. The connection from router to PC is made by inputting a product key (supplied with the router)

Feeling all pleased with myself, I trundled down to another house where I have a different ISP (ntlworld) and bought a Linksys Wireless G router to attach to my cable modem.

When I configured the Lynksys, I was asked for a passphrase and I chose WEP (not knowing what else to choose?). I chose a phrase and this was scrambled into an alphanumeric code which I took to be the equivalent of the Voyager Product key.

The problem is that although the PC can see the Linksys router, I cannot seem to get connected and wondering where the error is.

that the product key is not the same as this passphrase code or is it something to do with the naming of the SSID?

Welcome to the forum pistolgrip!  :wave::welcome:

Fraid i'm going to be a taker rather than a giver for a while as i'm jus learning about the net & getting up to speed. Based in Hampshire England. Kids do a lot of serious judo, hence the Pistolgrip. howdy folks! :icon_salut:

Awesome man, glad to have ya. We have alot of people here from your side of the pond.

Worked for NTL for several years but don't generally advertise the fact now. Some folk like to offload their frustrations on you. And they're right of course because the NTL support is still rubbish. Maybe once the Virgin brand gets a hold on them things should improve but this doesn't help people pulling their hair out now!. I've had a couple of problems with the BT broadband but generally get straight through to someone in their call centre in India. Give them their due, they normally have an answer or solution fairly quickly. Don't like the yahoo toolbar though, too distracting. What've you got?

If I had the choice, I'd have BT. I only take the NTL since I have cable anyway and I was too busy or too lazy to change at the time.

Worked for NTL for several years but don't generally advertise the fact now. Some folk like to offload their frustrations on you. And they're right of course because the NTL support is still rubbish. Maybe once the Virgin brand gets a hold on them things should improve but this doesn't help people pulling their hair out now!. I've had a couple of problems with the BT broadband but generally get straight through to someone in their call centre in India. Give them their due, they normally have an answer or solution fairly quickly. Don't like the yahoo toolbar though, too distracting. What've you got?

If I had the choice, I'd have BT. I only take the NTL since I have cable anyway and I was too busy or too lazy to change at the time.

:2funny: :2funny: Too busy or too lazy... Thats our motto. Hell man your already a regular here.  :icon_thumleft:

ya sometimes each side of the pond has like wars, we lose some people its kinda tragic but we all get along when were not killing eachother in war.

LOL JP.  Welcome to the forum  :welcome:

Be glad I was taking momma T out to dinner (god I love her, sexy bit.. uh never mind  :azn:) and didnt make it to the last. I would have your ASS.  :cussing: :cussing:

Now now now we all know who would win! ME  :roll:

:2funny:

:haha: Cmon man you got those lil girl wrists. You couldnt win.  :uglystupid2::2funny: :2funny: :2funny:  :wink:

Uh oh , some competition.. me and shug just might give up our never ending fight to rid you of the pond so we can fight in peace.  :ar15:

GET HIM. *Shug points at Sparticus*