OK now IM PISSED!!!

vanschlack

OK I made the big move this weekend and I have 70 signal strength. Gotta wait for some weather to see if thats good enough to keep it from dropping out with the slightest amount of rain. Oh and guess what? My dish in fact was NOT grounded at all, unless you count the three lag bolts punched into my roof through the shingles and plywood. I am glad I did this, another winter up there and it prolly would have blown off my roof. I have gotten mixed comments about wether or not my dish is presently grounded enough. The pole is about 3.5 feet in the ground, though I didint read the comment about pounding it in before I had actually cemented it. I was able to shorten the cable by about 20 feet as well... all in all I am fairly pleased with the project. Thanks again for your tips and for motivating me to do it right and do it myself!

OK I made the big move this weekend and I have 70 signal strength. Gotta wait for some weather to see if thats good enough to keep it from dropping out with the slightest amount of rain. Oh and guess what? My dish in fact was NOT grounded at all, unless you count the three lag bolts punched into my roof through the shingles and plywood. I have gotten mixed comments about wether or not my dish is presently grounded enough. The pole is about 3.5 feet in the ground, though I didint read the comment about pounding it in before I had actually cemented in.

70 is a good signal, its very delicate to get higher, takes time and small increments. What did you get on your ACP? Your dish may may have been moving on the roof if only into the plywood and not the rafters. Also it should have been at the ridge or near an edge where it's the most solid. Driving the post into the ground it not the same as grounding unless it is deep enough to stay in ground water all year. Correct grounding is back to the electrical service ground but not always feasible, but it should be on an electrical ground rod Glad the move went smooth for you, I haven't sunk my new post mount in yet.

Also, make sure that the TRANSMITTER is grounded, not just the cables.  The transmitter is what builds up static and can cause problems.

FMI:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2626

There is a small screw in the transmitter labed "GND", make sure it is grounded into the earth.

This is very important.I forgot to mention :uglystupid2: that the coax ground and the transmitter ground are two separate wires and should only make contact with each other at the ground rod.

Electrical service ground is only a copper wire run to a steel rod copper coated and drove into the dirt in the first place.

True, but if you've done any welding sometimes you need to scrape or grind the galvanized or rust off, whatever the case, to get an arc. I believe that's why the copper coating and the need enough grounding surface. Grounds do fail so I believe it's best not to short cut.

True on the welding part grandpa.

:2funny: Funny thing on my ground when I looked at it. The installer grounded mine to my service panel. OK. But when I followed my ground from the box, and to see where the ground rod might be located to see if it was still servicable. There was absolutely no ground to my house whatsoever. Guess what, went to Home Depot and got it grounded.  :icon_shaking: And whoever redid the service panel did a wonderful looking job too. Looked proffessional. But again no ground. Not even to the water line.  :shocked:

True on the welding part grandpa.

:2funny: Funny thing on my ground when I looked at it. The installer grounded mine to my service panel. OK. But when I followed my ground from the box, and to see where the ground rod might be located to see if it was still servicable. There was absolutely no ground to my house whatsoever. Guess what, went to Home Depot and got it grounded.  :icon_shaking: And whoever redid the service panel did a wonderful looking job too. Looked proffessional. But again no ground. Not even to the water line.  :shocked:

I kind of know what you mean about no house ground. I had problems with occasional brown-outs and at the same time other parts got brighter. My cousin, working for the electric company at the time in 1992, couldn't figure out what the problem was. Finally after several months we put in a whole new 200 amp service but reversed direction. We put the main panel in the garage 60' away and underground to the house. When the new service was switched they found the neutral at the pole was disconnected. That meant the house ground was failing. When pulled out it was a piece of galvanized pipe, used back in the day, but totally rusted from the bottom to 6" below the surface. No way of seeing that and could go days between problems. Glad you found that (no) ground before something happened.

:smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...

70 is a good signal, its very delicate to get higher, takes time and small increments. What did you get on your ACP? Your dish may may have been moving on the roof if only into the plywood and not the rafters.

Hi there-

Sorry been away a bit - life got hectic there for a minute. I ran my acp test 5 times and got between 64 and 70 everytime. Also I think my signal drift was due to wind and the shoddy install. So I have had 2 days of rain since I posted last and it worked like a charm both times. No outtage whatsoever and signal stayed above 57 at all times I was looking. Never really pored, but its a far cry better then losing signal when it sprinkled a little. Last thing is I checked my feed horn and its still water tight for the moment, though I have the drill bit on standy by. Hope you all had a great turkey day and thanks again!

Van

vanschlack,

Good deal there.  :grin2:  Looks liked your not pissed anymore. It's raining pretty good here right and my signal is down to 60-62 from 76. Glad it worked for you. I have a new pole mount now but need tor run my grounding and coax conduit. No rush here just getting ready for winter.  :wink:

Getting ready for winter? Must be nice, it is already in my yard.  :tickedoff:

I guess being the prevailing wind is westward you would get it before me.  :haha:

So that must make my location more southern than yours.  :wink:               

But if I want to see winter I just need to go south of Buffalo to the snow belt as it's called.  :icon_scratch:

I guess being the prevailing wind is westward you would get it before me.  :haha:

But if I want to see winter I just need to go south of Buffalo to the snow belt as it's called.  :icon_scratch:

Sheesh lucky! I sure do wish I could see some snow.  :-|

Yeah, maybe. KC Missouri.

Sheesh lucky! I sure do wish I could see some snow.  :-|

Your the lucky one Sparticus, down in VA there. There is only one advantage to snow, well maybe 2.

1) White Christmas.  :icon_santa:

2) It lets you appreciate good weather. :evil:

You are not missing much really.  :undecided:

Yeah, maybe. KC Missouri. Your the lucky one Sparticus, down in VA there. There is only one advantage to snow, well maybe 2.

1) White Christmas.  :icon_santa:

2) It lets you appreciate good weather. :evil:

You are not missing much really. :undecided:

I love a white christmas! Well today is Dec. 1st and it's about 70 degrees outside. I feel winter coming already!

I love a white christmas! Well today is Dec. 1st and it's about 70 degrees outside. I feel winter coming already!

70 F.  :tickedoff: You call that winter coming on?  :evil6: Drop that about 60 degrees.  :icon_shaking: And then watch your goose bumps have goose bumps right on top of them. :icon_shaking: And then have to shovel the drive off just to drive to work. And then the wifes car won't start, so you spend part of your morning just trying to get her off to work. And the window cleaner constantly going. And the wipers. And everything is frozen. Blah blah blah. I would rather travel somewhere to find the white christmas.  :smitten:

70 F.  :tickedoff: You call that winter coming on?  :evil6: Drop that about 60 degrees.  :icon_shaking: And then watch your goose bumps have goose bumps right on top of them. :icon_shaking: And then have to shovel the drive off just to drive to work. And then the wifes car won't start, so you spend part of your morning just trying to get her off to work. And the window cleaner constantly going. And the wipers. And everything is frozen. Blah blah blah. I would rather travel somewhere to find the white christmas.  :smitten:

Try traveling with my family! Oh gosh!!!