REV0LUTI0NIZED

Worth It?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Worth It?

• YES
    • NO
    • Heck YES!
    • Heck NO!

Did you tell him it was a 1996, I checked and the motors on those years came out good.

Hi  I F1NAL I , there now seems some confusion over the engine problem ,

in the UK 1996 cars are certainly affected , but your American market car may have a different engine = ?

"The US version of the M52 engine has an iron block instead

of the euro alloy version.2 I think you need to be sure of the engine type , the affected engines have a alloy block  the good ones are  cast iron, but as others have said if you have major problems, the repair could be more than the value of the car 

I still wouldn't buy the car , and go along with resopalrabotnick's comments ,

I think your poll results prove our thoughts on this car , 14-1 against ,

So if you buy the car and find it is a turkey , you cant come back and complain , you will get a chorus of "WE TOLD YOU SO "

Yeah, life can be a bitch at times  :lol:

regards Roco UK

You might look at a KIA RIO. Starts at $11,350, and it comes with "And, best of all, you'll get outstanding fuel efficiency and the reliability of The Kia Total Protection Package that includes a 10 year/100,000 mile limited powertrain warranty. "

http://www.kia.com/index.php

http://www.kia.com/06rio/index.php

So you might try that. I would think worth checking out.

from a precision engineered german sports sedan to a korean coffee can?

hey, roco, how much does a 2CV in decent condition go for, while we are exploring the issue. i bet with shipping to the us he could still get a decent price and you would be a good man to pick one for him.

for cheap cars my pick would be the honda element. suv with a 2.2 liter 4-banger for 17 or so afaik. if you can afford the beemer then you have a good down payment for decent financing in hand.

as for options search for old mercedes S class diesels. i've seen em for 3 grand or less. with a little cleanup a damned impressive ride. if something expensive breaks you sell the rest as parts and get another car.

note to ca3le: we need a smiley for US$ 0.02

Hi resopalrabotnick,

From a BMW to a 2CV  :2funny: I don't think I F1NAL I ,would be too impressed  :evil6:

I would not recommend anyone owning a 2CV, unless they were deranged, :idiot2:

there are cars and there are 2CV's , a totally different kettle of fish,

2CV's in the States, yeah there is a 100 or so and there is a Club for them , http://www.citroen-ca.com/profile.html , they sell up to $10000, in UK for around $3750 for a good one , but finding a good one would be the problem , I guess only around 200  or so , and no more than 4000 cars on the road ,

the up side is, spares are plentiful and cheap , but not from Citroen,  they washed their hair of them years back , and sent all the stock spares to the crusher ,  :evil2:

I go with the old mercedes S class diesels. option  :thumbsup:

I go with the old mercedes S class diesels. option  :thumbsup:

I'll second that motion.

Here are a few 1996'ers on ebay for comparison only. Or not.

http://search.ebay.com/1996-Mercedes-S-car_eBay-Motors_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsacatZ6000QQsubmitsearchZSearch

Looks like they are running from $7-15K. So same neighborhood. And a diesel only breaks in @ 130,000 miles.  :smiley: