Qwest is ripping me off badly. Uncap?

modenaf1

Ok, here is the story, I only have two broadband options in my area. One is Comcast, which unless I get the entire package deal (which I can't afford), is 52.99 a month (which I can't afford either).

My other option is Qwest, which is what I have. I am currently paying 32.99 a month for 256Kbps down and 256Kbps up DSL.

Currently for new users and 2 year commitment plans WITH QUALIFYING HOME PHONE PACKAGES, they offer 1.5Mbps/800something, and even 3-5/800something at 26.99!

Here is the catch, I have a metered phone service that is really cheap (I hardly use the phone at all) and Qwest wants to get rid of it, so I can't really switch any of my stuff around.

I am completely stuck with this 256/256 that is realistically more like 210/210.

What I am wondering, is since Qwest has been making a fortune off of me for 2 years now while offering everyone else faster services for cheaper, I don't feel any ethical issues with upping my speed myself.

Is it possible to get one of Qwest's own configs for, perhaps their 1.5/800whatever service to raise the cap on my DSL modem without getting caught? It isn't about ripping off everyone else by getting something insane like 8Mbps speeds, I just need a little faster download and upload. If anyone has any info or advice on what I can do, that would be great. Thanks.

Thanks for the welcome and the reply!

I have been reading some other threads around the forum and it does appear that some people have been tweaking their broadband to get faster speeds.  From what I heard, if you use one of their own configs for a faster service that THEY offer, they won't detect it?  I am not sure, I am a complete newbie when it comes to this stuff.

If even that is quite risky, is there any sort of tweak I can do to at least get my advertised 256/256?

Thanks for the welcome and the reply!

I have been reading some other threads around the forum and it does appear that some people have been tweaking their broadband to get faster speeds.  From what I heard, if you use one of their own configs for a faster service that THEY offer, they won't detect it?  I am not sure, I am a complete newbie when it comes to this stuff.

If even that is quite risky, is there any sort of tweak I can do to at least get my advertised 256/256?

YES! That is the answer its legal and it should work. I would reccomend TCP Optimizer.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1013.0;attach=18311

edited due to the fact we have TCP Optimizer here. :)

Awsome, thanks.  I might take some before and after speed tests and see how it goes.  Also, I found something called Cablenut, it looks like it does pretty much the same thing.  Would you guys recomend it or is TCP Optimizer the way to go?

TCP Optimizer is easier to use. Cablenut is more tweakable.

I would reccomend TCP Optimizer if you don't like it you can always go back to cablenut.

Welcome, glad to have you. First off I would not recommend uncapping your modem. Second dont discuss the particulars of uncapping, if you want to know if someone thinks it right or wrong of you I dont have a problem with that ( that is not to say another mod or VA wouldnt) but no discussion past that of uncapping. Again welcome, hope you like it and tell your friends.

YES! That is the answer its legal and it should work. I would reccomend TCP Optimizer.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1013.0;attach=18311

edited due to the fact we have TCP Optimizer here. :)

Aww man, for a broadband forum you would think it would download faster than 1.4Kbps.  Oh, well its ok considering my slow ass DSL has a maximum download speed of 2.1Kbps anyway. :P  lol j/k

Oh, whoops I had a download going in the background, thats why.

Cool, thanks for the replies everyone!  I ran two tests, here are my results:

Test 1:

Down: 218Kbps

Up: 215Kbps

Test 2:

Down: 220Kbps

Up: 214Kbps

I will screw around with TCP optimizer in a bit and run two more!

Ok, after I did it:

Test1:

Down: 221

Up: 216

Test2:

Down: 220

Up: 214

Welcome to the forum modenaf1   :wave::welcome:

Something else forgotten that may make a bigger difference is clening. Tweaking before cleaning is a no no. But read here and make sureit is clean first.

Achieve the Best Performance Out of Your Computer

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-4257

A lot of the time it will make a much bigger difference. Yu might actually find the rest of your hidden speeds. Do this and then post another speed test.  :wink2: :wink2:

Ok, here is the story, I only have two broadband options in my area.  One is Comcast, which unless I get the entire package deal (which I can't afford), is 52.99 a month (which I can't afford either).

My other option is Qwest, which is what I have.  I am currently paying 32.99 a month for 256Kbps down and 256Kbps up DSL.

Currently for new users and 2 year commitment plans WITH QUALIFYING HOME PHONE PACKAGES, they offer 1.5Mbps/800something, and even 3-5/800something at 26.99!

Here is the catch, I have a metered phone service that is really cheap (I hardly use the phone at all) and Qwest wants to get rid of it, so I can't really switch any of my stuff around.

I am completely stuck with this 256/256 that is realistically more like 210/210. 

What I am wondering, is since Qwest has been making a fortune off of me for 2 years now while offering everyone else faster services for cheaper, I don't feel any ethical issues with upping my speed myself.

Is it possible to get one of Qwest's own configs for, perhaps their 1.5/800whatever service to raise the cap on my DSL modem without getting caught?  It isn't about ripping off everyone else by getting something insane like 8Mbps speeds, I just need a little faster download and upload.  If anyone has any info or advice on what I can do, that would be great.  Thanks.

LOL, I am not happy with what I am getting so is it okay if I steal something better?? Great justification.

For Shug7272:

Sorry you took that as an attack, as it was not intended as one. Stealing is stealing case closed. I just call em as I see em and will continue to speak my mind.  :)

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I love it when people act as if ethics are debatable.

I did not consider it an attack or else the post would be gone and you would have been warned. You didn't get either of those. We love for you to speak your mind but if you attack other people here you will not last long.

Ethics are extremely debatable due to the fact most peoples ethics are taught to them by their parents. Which means my parents may teach me that it is ok to call people derogatory terms and that would be my ethics when I grew up. Ethics are nothing more than what each person considers right and wrong, just because you call it wrong doesn't make it wrong, same goes for me, just because I think something is wrong doesn't make it wrong. I could say that a part of ethics is being nice and polite the whole do unto others thing, that being said a sarcastic response to someones question would not be ethical in my opinion but fine in yours.  :wink:  :grin2:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&defl=en&q=define:ethics&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

As you can see by the definition, ethics is nothing more than what someone thinks right and wrong, and everyone will be a little different on that.  :grin2: But not me, Im a saint.  :angel::haha: :haha:

LOL, I am not happy with what I am getting so is it okay if I steal something better?? Great justification.

Well, hey I know two wrongs don't make a right, but when I feel someone is stealing from me, I have less problems stealing from them.  Just about everyone I know that has Qwest is getting 1.5 for 26.99 a month while I am forced to pay 36.99 a month for 256k, just because switching my service to the 1.5 for 26.99 would mean I have to drop my phone line completely.

Either way, you can see I pretty much gave up on the cap limit raising idea pretty much past the first post as  I don't even feel completely comfortable doing it, I am at least going to try and get the most out of what I have.

Ethics are extremely debatable due to the fact most peoples ethics are taught to them by their parents.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&defl=en&q=define:ethics&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

Which of course I could not find reference to parents being the ones to give you your ethics. Now your original deep down ethics might start there, but they can easily and quickly be drowned out by many things. Peer pressure mainly. Your parents might say don't do, but you grew up in a tough NY ghetto and gangs, stealing (yes even little old ladies), murder,  etc... is a way of life. So the parents should not be blamed.

Visa versa bad ethics could be taught at home. Beatings, screwing around, stealing from each other, etc... and yet this child goes to church one day, and wolla he learns a new set of values.

Just some thoughts for the day.  :wink:

...everyone will be a little different on that.  :grin2: But not me, I'm a saint.  :angel::haha: :haha:

And if you want ^^^  a real debatable part that would be it right there. 

:2funny::haha::2funny:

For the record, Toms definition of right or wrong.

Would I want this done to me  :?:  :?: That usually only has one answer.   :wink::police::angel:

Everything we consider good and bad right and wrong was decided by someone long ago. So it is all a matter of opinion. Is shit a bad word? Someone thought it was long ago so now we do. Is stealing wrong? Someone long ago thought it was and prohibited it. Everything in our lives tradition, rules, laws, ethics was decided by a human being at one point, it is all opinion.

If you let a child grow up with absolutely no rules they will think nothing of stealing, killing or anything else we hold as wrong. A child will take without permission until they are taught not to, they will hit, bite, yell and have fits. You may not think for a second divorce is unethical but many do. All opinion.

as for the original question in the thread: two wrongs don't make a right.

Exactly what I said, just that one wrong makes that second wrong a wee bit easier.  :wink2:

Either way, it doesn't matter at all, after pretty much the first post I decided not to uncap anyway so all this debate on ethics is fairly pointless.

Exactly what I said, just that one wrong makes that second wrong a wee bit easier.  :wink2:

Either way, it doesn't matter at all, after pretty much the first post I decided not to uncap anyway so all this debate on ethics is fairly pointless.

Yea we kick the shit out of dead horses here sometimes.  :haha: Good decision imo. All ethics aside, it is illegal and eventually you get caught.

Whatever you ever say, there are few  :nono: words in the TMN area. [actually that was nothing we just started the second page]  :grin2:

AMD vs Intel

Firefox vs IE6 or 7

Norton or McAfee are good AV's

AOL is a highspeed tweak

Who is your favorite celeb. body wise

What is your favorite car

And how do you know what we are kicking out of that poor horse shug??   :haha: :haha:

Whatever you ever say, there are few  :nono: words in the TMN area. [actually that was nothing we just started the second page]  :grin2:

AMD vs Intel

Firefox vs IE6 or 7

Norton or McAfee are good AV's

AOL is a highspeed tweak

Who is your favorite celeb. body wise

What is your favorite car

And how do you know what we are kicking out of that poor horse shug??  :haha: :haha:

AMD, Firefox, Bullshit, Bull F'ing shit, Gwen Stefani, 1967 Shelby GT 500 (Elenor).  :grin2: