Blocking Websites.

TimPawlak

At my mom's work, she is the manager... and there is this girl who gets on the computer and goes to xanga and myspace... my mom wants her to work, not screw around.. and this girl only does it when my moms not there...

i tried getting into the router... no luck.. its a linksys.. but it looks like someone changed the password =(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my mom's work, she is the manager... and there is this girl who gets on the computer and goes to xanga and myspace... my mom wants her to work, not screw around.. and this girl only does it when my moms not there...

i tried getting into the router... no luck.. its a linksys.. but it looks like someone changed the password =(

your going to need to find a way to get into the router to block it, anything else you do will just be able to be turned off.

What would your mom think of putting a tracking software on there and telling her employees if they go to certain sites they are gone? I dont think she will ever be able to stop it unless she makes an example of someone, most anything else can be worked around like Dlewis said. Also I am sure you know you can hit the reset button on the router and kill the current password then change it.

alright, you guys will get a hell of a laugh outta this one...

awmish girl *sp?* got around my block... A PERSON THAT >..... GAH!!! and i got into the router and blocked it... changed router password to 9874251857 and some how she got into the router and unblocked the sites!!

ugh....

alright here are a few things you can try..

The router method.. If it is a linksys.. If you put dd-wrt then you can disable the reset button.. not a great idea if you mess with it a lot but hey..  If you want to use the standard firmware change the router ip to something other that 192.168.1.1 and then in the host file on the computer route it somewhere else like localhost..  Then pretty much apply a block to myspace on the router.  Each time there is a request for myspace it is going to be logged.  So it should be to hard to figure out who is going where.

The second option would be to modify her host log file and direct myspace to say localhost.. 

I am not for tracking software.  I think it should be used as a last resort method. 

Also setting up the firewall on the router is important also..  Not allowing external sources such as ssh, remote desktop, etc is important but also killing proxy setups from the browser is also important.  Does this person have an administrative account?